my smoothie tastes like....spinach. suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I agree with adding berries. My smoothie is frozen strawberries, greek yogurt, spinach and vanilla protein. It is super yummy!
  • Ginsey31
    Options
    Experiment with the suggestions given. Peanut butter is a great one, but if you want a slightly less rich flavor try adding a little bit of another fruit to your recipe. I find I like certain fruits better than others in combination with the spinach. Strawberries do a great job of covering the spinach flavor. And I use frozen fruit because I like a smoothie texture.

Have fun with it. This is a great healthy breakfast!
  • katieqp
    Options
    thanks all!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1carahmeldiva
    Options
    I make a similar smoothie but I add 1 cup frozen raspberries, 1 tbsp almond butter, and 1 tsp lemon. You won't taste the spinach at all. Have fun experimenting :).
  • naterar
    naterar Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use Chocolate Vegan protein powder in mine or Chocolate Shakeology and it covers it pretty well.

1 Scoop Shakology or Chocolate Vegan powder.
    1/2 or 1 Cup Spinach
    1 Banana
    1 Cup Strawberries Frozen
    1/2 Cup Almond Milk
    1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
    and Ice.

Tastes really good and cover the geens well.
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    hi all - I tried to make a green smoothie this morning because I've heard rave reviews. It's not bad, but it tastes just like pureed spinach. I don't mind it that much, because I like spinach, but not first thing in the morning. here is what I put in - am I missing something?

2 big handfuls baby spinach
    1 banana
    1/2 cup nonfat greek vanilla yogurt
    1/2 cup almond milk.

Try adding in PB2 peanut flour or 1 tbs peanut butter!

I make the same smoothie & like above add the peanut butter / PB2 but I also a teaspoon of honey
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if you like spinach as spinach and don't like it in a smoothie, then eat it as spinach and don't put in the smoothie. It's not going to give you any extra nutrition than spinach not in a smoothie gives you.

I put fruit, laban (Arabic milk drink) and protein powder in my smoothies, and I put spinach and other vegetables in curry and other foods that I like the taste of spinach in.

I'm not knocking green smoothies and for people who like the taste, or people who can't eat green vegetables any other way, they're great. But no need to force yourself to eat spinach in a smoothie for breakfast if you're already eating lots of green veg.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    hi all - I tried to make a green smoothie this morning because I've heard rave reviews. It's not bad, but it tastes just like pureed spinach. I don't mind it that much, because I like spinach, but not first thing in the morning. here is what I put in - am I missing something?

1 banana
    1/2 cup almond milk.

Pretend you are Popeye and just go with it?

Seriously. I would suggest to add another banana. Either that or cut the spinach back to 1 big handful and add something else. The reason I say this is if I add a bananato just about any shake I make, all i can taste is the banana and nothing else.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I use spinach or kale, banana, pineapple, tomato, mini carrots and Just recently I started to add some avocado for the fat. I read you need some fat for your body to absorb the vitamins. Mine tastes like dessert. I am sure the sweetness of the ripe banana and pineapple take over the flavor. I have experimented with rice bran as well for magnesium.
  • RemDogzMa
    RemDogzMa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Since I don't do powders, just fruits and veggies, I have found that as many have mentioned bananas cut the flavor. If you need too, add another. Or add fresh pineapple - it not only adds sweetness, but adds digestive enzymes which I find helpful in the morning.

Good for you adding greens to your diet!! :)
  • SStrauss79
    SStrauss79 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

1 banana
    1/2 cup almond milk.

Try adding in PB2 peanut flour or 1 tbs peanut butter!

^^^ This too.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Definately add more fruits. Having a variety of flavors will help balance out the individual flavor (if you can taste a bit of apple, maybe some orange or grapefruit, a hint of pear, kiwi, mango, whatever fruits you love, along with the banana, the spinich will really just accent it, rather than being the main flavor.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    MOAR fruit!
  • tink0623
    Options
    I use a "bunch" of fresh mint in a smoothy that has spinach in it and there is no spinach taste, just minty flavor.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    Pineapple. pineapple overpowers everything.
  • jesskreg
    jesskreg Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This my favorite:
    2 c. frozen spinach
    1 banana
    2 tbs natural peanut butter
    1 medium apple

Can't even taste the spinach! It also helps to drink it through a straw. You can also add natural sweeteners like agave nectar or honey.
  • ktdid19
    Options
    I made the same thing this morning, but I added a little vanilla extract. It cut down on the spinach taste. Tasted a lot like a drinkable yogurt!
    I have also made it with strawberries, but it turns more brown then!
  • peilover010202
    peilover010202 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    try kale, it's less offensive and is more nutrient dense. Also try adding some frozen fruit and make sure the bananas are over-ripe.

My typical smoothie is:
    1-2 handsfuls of kale
    romaine
    10 cherry tomatos
    10 grapes
    10 baby carrots
    handful of mixed frozen fruit
    1/2 banana
    1 navel orange or clemetine
    1 apple
    1/2 avocado (can't taste it, but makes it really creamy!)
    2 tbsp chia seeds
    1 tbsp hemp hearts

NOTE: I use a Vitamix for this. I'm not so sure a regular blender could handle all of that. But, that makes enough for 3 servings for me (20oz each).