How do I start?

Options
So, I really want this and I want to stick with it this time. I have not exercised since I was in the 6th grade, and I'm starting college. I thought I'd start with the 30 Day Shred, but this was a super bad idea. I did 10 minutes of it today and I wanna cry, it's too hard for me, right now anyway, maybe for this month I should start by getting used to being active on a daily basis first. I'm a stay at home mom, who literally doesn't leave her house. I'm starting at 0. Couch potato. But... where do I start? pleaseeeee help :(

Replies

• kerriotto
    Options
    Try to do 11 minutes tomorrow. And 12 after that. Keep going until you can do the whole thing.
    It's not going to be easy but you have to start somewhere.
  • allsturns
    allsturns Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Do you have a game console? I love my EA sports Active really got me going and even have my own gym membership now! It can be fun...even addictive! Good luck xx

As other posters have said do what you can do...and then a little more the next time. Start slow and you'll keep going!
  • katste44
    katste44 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of 8 or 10 minute workout videos on Netflix or Youtube. Search around for some and start with them. The next week look for 12 minute videos, then 15, etc.
  • christinekry
    christinekry Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do it JUST like Jillian. Make your own modifications. Stick with it for the WHOLE workout. If you have to slack on some moves, then do so. Just stick with it and be persistent. As time goes on, modify your moves to be a little closer to how Jillian does them. If there is something you just can't do - start on some jumping jacks while you wait for her to move on to the next move. Right now though, focus on creating the habit and building up your stamina. You'll get there. No one is perfect in the beginning. What matters is that you keep moving.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do it JUST like Jillian. Make your own modifications. Stick with it for the WHOLE workout. If you have to slack on some moves, then do so. Just stick with it and be persistent. As time goes on, modify your moves to be a little closer to how Jillian does them. If there is something you just can't do - start on some jumping jacks while you wait for her to move on to the next move. Right now though, focus on creating the habit and building up your stamina. You'll get there. No one is perfect in the beginning. What matters is that you keep moving.

^^ This.

Go at your own pace and take your time. If you have to take breaks in between then take breaks. I am physically fit and there have been plenty of exercise classes and videos that I have done where I've had to stop to catch my breath or modify the moves. No harm in doing that. Don't get discouraged. Everyone started off where you are right now and after a while -- possibly a week! -- you'll be there in no time. Another thing to try and do is each time you do the video try to do a little bit better. Say the first time you do it within three minutes you took a break. Next time try to push it so that you do four or five minutes non stop. I am currently doing Insanity and each time I do a video I push myself a little harder and try to do just a little bit more than I did the last time and it's an awesome feeling when I do.

Don't give up!!:flowerforyou:
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    you cant go wrong with walking, regardless of the weather, your athletic abilities, etc...you can always walk
  • kmmuellr
    Options
    So, I really want this and I want to stick with it this time. I have not exercised since I was in the 6th grade, and I'm starting college. I thought I'd start with the 30 Day Shred, but this was a super bad idea. I did 10 minutes of it today and I wanna cry, it's too hard for me, right now anyway, maybe for this month I should start by getting used to being active on a daily basis first. I'm a stay at home mom, who literally doesn't leave her house. I'm starting at 0. Couch potato. But... where do I start? pleaseeeee help :(

Stay at home mom: Stroller, baby, walk! That's the best way to start.

As others have said, if you're interested in the 30day, do as much as you can modified, then the next day do another minute with better form. You'll get there.

I'm working out w/ free weights in the gym. Dumpy, white guy pushing the bar w/ no weights around is pretty embarrassing when there are smaller women next to me lifting heavier weights, but we all need to start somewhere! I'm now squatting over my body weight, but I started w/ NO weight on the bar at the beginning of the year!

K
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel, I tried 30 day shred about 3 years ago when my son was first born. I had a c-section and when I got pregnant I was already over weight. So I had A LOT to lose. It was WAY to hard, hurt my boobs even with a sports bra on. That being said it took me till last year when my son hit age 2 to say I was sick of feeling like crap. I started off small changing my diet cutting out sugar/fat/greasy food. Then moved onto walking, using my kintect to do zumba and playing with my son. I dropped 30 lbs since then. Now I'm finally able to do 30 day shred without feeling like I'm going to completely die. I still am VERY sore.

So I would say either stick with it and try and do a little more each time. OR walk walk walk and play games. I would first take a good hard look at your diet because once that gets straighten out you will feel better (at least that was how it was for me). Good luck hun, remember you can do it!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    When I start a new video, I usually have to step-touch-step-touch my way through a few moves for while. I figure if I give it my all and keep moving, my heart rate goes up and I'm getting better. I don't think most people start JM videos able to do the whole thing and do it well. You aren't alone. But don't give up and don't get discouraged. Do it again and try to get a little better each time.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    One foot in front of the other is how I started. Walked 60 minutes a day and found I had to keep increasing my distance as I got in better shape.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    you cant go wrong with walking, regardless of the weather, your athletic abilities, etc...you can always walk

This was going to be my comment - start somewhere. Going from zero to full bore isn't going to work for everybody.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options

Totally agree with this! I started my "new life" with 30 Day Shred and I'm 3lbs away from my goal and feel like a different person. Like you, I could only do 10 minutes the first time I did it. The second day I was determined to get through the whole thing, but whenever I couldn't do something (uhh a lot of the time!) I did jumping jacks like this poster said. Also, not sure how the weather is right now but taking walks outside with your kiddo is a good start too!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Just start with walking. Walk for as long as you can, then slowly build up when it gets easier.
    You could try walk/run where you walk for a minute or so, the run as long as you can, then walk until you can run again.

Just don't overwhelm yourself and do too much. Take it slow. Do cardio one day, and some strength (push ups, sits ups, weight whatever you can) the next. Doing them all seven days a week is going to wear you out too much. Your muscles need a day of relaxing after you work them, so do something different every other day.

And if you're gonna run, take a look at this picture. It helps a LOT. When I started running, I just ran. I didn't know there was a proper posture for it. This is a LOT easier to do, than just running :)

HowToRun_Header.jpg

OH
    And remember not to get discouraged if you can't do it. Because no matter how fast you're going, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would do what everyone else suggested. Start slow and work your way up. One of the biggest mistakes most people make when starting out is thinking they have to run 5 miles on the very first day. That is absolutely wrong. You're risking serious injury going that route.

When I got diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes last year, I knew I had to make changes, but instead of going extreme and quick, I took the slow and steady pace because I set the goal of losing 50 pounds in one year, not one week. I started walking around the two cul-du-sacs in my neighborhood twice, then three times, then four times, increasing as I got more comfortable. Then I wanted to challenge myself and walk around the entire neighborhood, hills and all. Soon I found myself enjoying all the streets in my neighborhood.

Another thing is like what Woomytron has said, check your diet. Start looking at labels like a hawk and look carefully at what you're eating and drinking. I started after the diagnosis and was shocked at how some not-so-sweet things have more carbohydrates than some sweets! (Perfect example: One can of Sprite contains 39g of carbohydrates, which for me is a full meal!)

If you're still uncertain of what to do, this is the best suggestion: If you don't have a regular doctor, get one. He/she can at least get you started. My doctor led me to the nutritionist who showed me exactly what to do and what to look for on labels.

Take all these small steps and make some small changes. It will not be easy at first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll surprise yourself by fitting into smaller clothes, not having to go to the Women's section in stores anymore, and the like! You can do it, but it's entire up to you to want it. :wink:
  • albr0271
    Options
    When I can't/won't go to the gym, which is like 13/15 days, I just do at home strength training like push ups, sit ups, squats, light weight lifting, planks, tricep dips, yoga. Yes, it's not cardio, but building more lean muscle burns fat more efficiently than, well, fat. Where do you live? If it's nice out of decent, go for 30-60 minute walks everyday. Go on bike rides with your kids. Maybe find a friend or babysitter that will watch your little ones even for an hour 3 days a week and offer to make them a healthy dinner as payment if you can't afford it. Just some ideas, that's what I would do. It's also about diet! Not sure what your diet is like, but whole foods, veggies, vegetarian is good, fruit, cooking at home is good for you, your kids and your wallet :)
  • BeautifulBrownButterfly
    Options
    starting with walking dvd's help me and you build up to it.
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Step through the DVD. Doing some thing is better then doing nothing. Eventually it will get easier and it wont happen overnight. Patience. Good Luck!!
  • tinytinam
    tinytinam Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Seriously, take it down several notches! You do have to ease into this slowly or you will either injure yourself of give up! Do some research on line about starting from zero. Buy the book called Walking Fit and start walking. Remember to stretch first. I caused myself an injury when I started exercising after a period of inactivity and it took me a year to get it right again. Dont let that happen you you! Feel free to add me for support.

I am also just about at the walking stage and trying to improve my fitness but the Walking Fit book really helps make the most out of quite a short walk. Good luck.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Modify, like everyone else has said. And if you can't do it walk in place for the remaining minutes. Eventually you will be at 15 mins and then 20. Small steps lead to big results! I am doing Chalean Extreme and there is one video in the series that kicks my butt and I can't jump as high or as long but every time I do it I think one day I'm gonna rocket off this ground like her! One day.... and one day you will make it through JM30DS too! Good luck and don't give up.
  • CrystalWalks
    CrystalWalks Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    YOUTUBE LESLIE SANSONE WALK AT HOME VIDEO IT IS A GOOD VIDEO FOR A BEGGINNER, IT IS LOW IMPACT AEROBICS YOU CAN START OFF WITH THE 15 MINUTE VIDEO IT HAS EASY TO FOLLOW STEPS AND HER PERSONALITY IS REALLY GREAT AND ENCOURAGING, AND YOU WILL HAVE FUN WHILE BURNING TONS OF CALORIES.... WITH THE 15 MINUTE WALK AT HOME VIDEO IT IS THE EQUILVANT TO WALKING 1 MILE OUTSIDE- THE 30 MINUTES EQUALS 2 MILES 45 MINUTES EQUAL 3 MILES ETC. I WOULD WORK MY WAY UP TO JILLIAN MICHEALS BECAUSE SHE CAN BE A BIT BRUTAL. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY AND REMEMBER NOT TO OVER DO IT JUST DO WHAT YOU CAN AND BE PERSISITANT....PERSISTANT PAYS OFF! :smile: (SORRY FOR CAPS LOCK) I'M @ WK....