Shoes handbags and pretty things (boys welcome too)

Options
Right guys! (well girls really) A stranger has just tweeted something really obvious at me however it made me realise I have never really thought about this something. I have been on MFP for over a year now and lost a little bit of weight (19lb). As much as am not happy with this number, a loss is a loss - right?

So Rewards/Treats/Presents to you! Whatever you call them, what do you do? For the last 26 years its been a pair of shoes or a handbag or something pretty, when I was chuffed with myself, however in recent years not only is my shoe closet bursting at the seams but my wallet is home to little more than a family of moths.

So what do you do? We are not animals so food should not be seen as a reward (although I am the first to admit that the odd dominoes here and there has fallen on my lap as a celebratory meal) and shopping trips and short breaks are out of the question. So how do you reward yourself?

I have never really thought about this, just taken it as a given for weight loss (and never actually put theory into practice.) I wonder if it would be more motivational if I knew I was getting X or Y when I had hit that next target - do you find you work harder when you know you will get that special something?

It would also be interesting to hear how people reward themselves in comparison to others and share some ideas.

Friend requests welcome!!!

Lotte

Replies

• EmmaLA16
    EmmaLA16 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi Lotte

I too need something to look forward to when I reach certain goals, but I like to keep it small and simple. In order to fund this, when I weigh every week I put £5 into a money box (the equivalent to what I would pay to be a member of a slimming class) and then when I reach said target I have the money to treat myself. Usually it will be something like a new eyeshadow or nail varnish, a lot cheaper than shoes and bags, but something to give me a lift anyway. Then any money left over I stash elsewhere towards my big reward when I reach my final target (which is a shopping trip on my birthday in April if I've reached said goal).

Hope this helps,

Emma
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm with you - I'm not a labrador so therefore a foodie treat is irrational, but I'll be damned if a 2 hour workout isn't sometimes followed by beerandpizza on a Friday.

But! Historically, I've treated myself to the following:

- a massage (sometimes feels really, really needed after training)
    - a new item of clothing that I know will look good on a better-shaped body than my current state (last one was a Supergirl t-shirt, HOW NAFF AM I)
    - a bottle of perfume
    - a pint. Not going to lie.

I don't respond particularly well to the prospect of a reward as such, but they're always something I absolutely delight in.
  • Maggie821
    Maggie821 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Good question! On my Spark site, other members are great about posting their goal weights and the reward they will give themselves. My problem is I treat myself no matter what! Maybe that's one of the reasons I'm not losing (and gaining- lol).

I'm starting a new challenge on that site soon, and I will be required to set those same goals and rewards - time to put on my thinking cap. Maybe a trip to Europe!!!
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    pedicures..............the hot stone one with foot massage & parafin wax dip.
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    are they not really expensive?
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with a celebratory meal. We celebrate other milestones in our lives by going out: anniversaries, birthdays, promotions, etc., so I don't get the mindset that says it's taboo to celebrate a health goal in the same way. A single meal isn't going to undo all your hard work--and if you plan it right, you can keep it within your goals for the day. (And, for the record, we are indeed animals!)

That said, I use a variety of non-food treats for myself as well. Recent ones have included:

--a great new shirt
    --movie and lunch with a friend (okay, that one included food, too)
    --a new book, in, dammit, hardcover!
    --nail polish

I'm 1.4 pounds away from my next goal, and when I get there I'm going to treat myself to a morning out at the art museum...followed by a 660-calorie lunch at Popeye's!
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I "treat" myself all the time. I don't usually spend a lot. It's usually something small, and yes, occasionally it is a yummy meal at a nice restaurant. I think my biggest reward so far has been the return of my self-confidence! :smile: I usually don't go overboard, and I do it just because I think I deserve it. A couple of weeks ago I went and bought an inexpensive pair of earrings - not because I needed them, but because they were pretty and I liked them. I find that most of the time when I plan on rewarding myself with a "present" it usually ends up being a new sports bra or some yoga pants or something like that. I have no idea why those things make me happy now, but they do. This weekend my husband is treating me to a massage at the spa to celebrate 30#. I can't wait!!
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    ABOUT $35. INCLUDING TIP