Sushi..........!!!!

Options
2013sk
2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
Lunch for today.........A Sushi variety pack

Who loves sushi? Do you think its healthy? Good course of protein??

Only 274 cals

S x

Replies

• liya368
    liya368 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love sushi too! Plan on having it for dinner tonight.
  • johnwbaxter2
    johnwbaxter2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    actual sushi (as in raw fish over a little vinegar rice) or sashimi (strips of raw fish) is very healthy. sushi ROLLS are okay enough (though you'd want them w/ brown rice if possible).
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I love sushi, but people (including me) have a tendency to overindulge. How healthy it is depends on what exactly you order. Anything with mayo or fried is going to be less healthy. Also, the rice adds up a lot faster than most people realize. Unfortunately, it's also usually less protein than you would think, with the veggie rolls having none whatsoever.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I love chirashi salads - or scattered sushi. Its a bed of rice and then differentt types of fish on top. LOVELY!
  • 2013sk
    Options
    actual sushi (as in raw fish over a little vinegar rice) or sashimi (strips of raw fish) is very healthy. sushi ROLLS are okay enough (though you'd want them w/ brown rice if possible).

These are the sushi long variety packs, with mixed sushi and rice

None of them come with brown rice though - Its a nice size and under 300 cals - Which is pretty good isnt it? Quite low in fat?
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I recently got turned on to sushi, I like it but all of that white rice cant be too good... lol plus I like the tempura stuff which is fried and obviously not good for you either. Anyway, just enjoy your sushi in moderation :) 300 calories is not bad at all.
  • johnwbaxter2
    johnwbaxter2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

None of them come with brown rice though - Its a nice size and under 300 cals - Which is pretty good isnt it? Quite low in fat?

it's fine i guess if there's not too much rice. I would still stick to brown rice over white where possible, but seeing as most of those packs (and restaraunts) don't generally server brown rice, i guess it's unavoidable.

and as i usually go out for sushi instead of buying packs, I'm not sure what you mean by "long variety pack."
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

"Sushi" with brown rice isn't sushi anymore. There's no reason to stress about eating sushi, as it's a good combination of carbs and proteins. I'd also check out Japanese longevity before worrying about any of the amazing array of "bad" foods that are put forth by this or that group.
  • Lanise_10
    Lanise_10 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

"sushi" with brown rice isn't sushi anymore. There's no reason to stress about eating sushi, as it's a good combination of carbs and proteins. I'd also check out Japanese longevity before worrying about any of the amazing array of "bad" foods that are put forth by this or that group.

Thank goodness cause I love sushi and haven't been eating it lately!!!!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I love sushi. I'm going to have it for lunch. I just need to tell my husband that we are having sushi for lunch.

It's good for you. It has Omega 3s that haven't been altered at all by heat and a good carb to protein ratio. Add a seaweed salad and you've added a host of other micronutrients.

I love sushi.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Chirashi is usually the easiest option for portion control. Don't want to eat all of the rice? Don't then.

Don't stress over the brown vs. white rice - sure brown has a modicum of benefits over white but not enough to avoid sushi. Besides, like sunsnstatheart says above, brown rice isn't sushi anymore.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    with spicy mayo please!!!
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options

Who loves sushi?

The word brought me on this thread! :love:
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    sushi is ****ing amazing, only 3 month's ago I was eating 8 to 12 large rolls if we were having a sushi dinner ( mostly because my sushi place does 50 rolls for $30 if you order in advance. and it makes for a serious meal for the whole family. )
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Who loves sushi?

Me too....

My husband doesn't buy me flowers when he wants to treat me...he brings home salmon roses. :love:
  • 2013sk
    Options

Who loves sushi?

Me too....

My husband doesn't buy me flowers when he wants to treat me...he brings home salmon roses. :love:

Salmon roses, and flowers + wine : )
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I love it, but its so common now that you have to worry about where you buy it.

-Gourmet deli acceptable.
    -Local bodega, avoid at all costs.
    -Supermarket- My local supermarket has a sushi chef there on certain days. Only if I see him make it.
    -7-11 or gas station Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • Staphaureus
    Options
    I have sushi / sashimi all the time, but I tell them to hold the rice.

My ultimate favorite is Spicy tuna tartar with no tempura flakes. I add a nice salad to the meal with some low fat ginger miso dressing. Now we are talking an amazing and palatable Japanese meal at a restaurant or even delivered to your house!
  • crabbok
    crabbok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    sushi is ****ing amazing, only 3 month's ago I was eating 8 to 12 large rolls if we were having a sushi dinner ( mostly because my sushi place does 50 rolls for $30 if you order in advance. and it makes for a serious meal for the whole family. )

50 rolls for $30? I suspect my definition of a roll is different from yours, because to me, a roll is the entire long roll that they cut into 8 pieces, or bites. Usually at most places, each roll costs about $8, so 50 rolls would cost $400, and if you know a place that is selling $400 worth of sushi for only $30 I'd seriously consider eating somewhere else due to health concerns.

However, I think maybe you mean 50 actual slices of a roll, which would be closer to 6 rolls, which sounds more reasonable for $30, and still a good deal.
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options

50 rolls for $30? I suspect my definition of a roll is different from yours, because to me, a roll is the entire long roll that they cut into 8 pieces, or bites. Usually at most places, each roll costs about $8, so 50 rolls would cost $400, and if you know a place that is selling $400 worth of sushi for only $30 I'd seriously consider eating somewhere else due to health concerns.

However, I think maybe you mean 50 actual slices of a roll, which would be closer to 6 rolls, which sounds more reasonable for $30, and still a good deal.

my bad, since this was posted 2 minutes before I went to bed my brain was broken.

yes its 50, 1/4 sized rolls, approzimately the same size as a piece of inari (so 12.5 full rolls). alternatively its 100(quater sized) for $50. Normal price is $3.50 each.

The food is pretty damn good there, but since starting to loose weight I havn't gone there even once due to the fact that its pretty damn easy to rack up 1000 calories for lunch without blinking an eye. ( now I get half a roll of mediocre sushi from the supermarket for lunch instead mostly because it has nutritional information on the packet and only gives me 166 cal per serve which is more reasonable.)