Should I Up My Cals?

Options
(I just realized that in my groggy state this morning, I accidentally posted this in the Motivation forum. Oops. Maybe this will turn out better results.)

So, I was just wondering if I should up my calories.
MFP originally had me set to 1380 based on 1lb/week. 
If I set to .5lb/week, it ups me to 1630. 

Now, my question is: If my workout is about 30min cardio and 30-45 minutes of strength training, should I leave my calories at 1630 or go back to 1380? 
Ideally, I'd like to lose 15 pounds, but the number on the scale doesn't totally concern me. I'd rather be able to build muscle while dropping fat. 
So, based on these goals, should I leave it at 1630 or go back to 1380? And should I eat back my exercise Cals or not?

Replies

• joewtug1
    Options
    my advice would be to leave it high. i like MFP but i can't figure out how to calculate calories burned through strength training but i know it's a lot. also when you're done with your strength training your body is still burning calories through the recovery process. also keep in mind it's difficult to burn fat and build muscle at the same time. while my experience is mainly bodybuilding type diet and excercise i would recommend one or the other. work in phases, either pack on muscle (bulk) even though i know you women hate this word, or cut (burn fat). you can still do strength training to burn fat but if your calorie intake is low don't expect to gain a considerable amount of muscle and strength. with all that said it is "possible" to burn fat and build muscle but your diet and exercise program has to be nothing short of PERFECT.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Guess I need more coffee too, as when I first read your title I read, "Should I up my CATS?" Yes, More cats!
  • Ermahgerd_Derpina
    Options
    Thanks. I was hoping to go for.a "work your muscles to burn fat along the way" approach, but I guess well see about that.
    Also, I use a HRM at the gym so I usually just use that to track my entire workout, usually about 450-550 cals.
    Based on what you and a couple other people have told me, I suppose I will leave them high for now and see how it turns out.
  • Ermahgerd_Derpina
    Options
    Lol no, I hate cats! But get to a DD right away! Haha.
  • Staphaureus
    Options
    If you go too low on your calls then you won't lose weight. I have been doing this trial and error process for the past year. Also, based on your body weight, BMR, RMR, etc. - there are excellent tools and nutrition calculators on bodybuilding.com - You can figure out what the calories you need to take in to sustain your Lean body mass ... that's muscle you do not want to lose! That's going to burn fat and calories even when you are not working out.

Also, make sure you have the appropriate ratio of Carbs-Protein-Fat. The split is recommended to be 50/30/20 and by others 40/30/20 for good nutrition and weight loss.

Weight loss is a science!
  • Staphaureus
    Options
    not calls --> calories i mean