did anyone loose alot of weight and prevent or Minimize loose skin

Replies

• slimsteelerfan
    slimsteelerfan Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    Weight training has made the biggest difference for me. I met a lady who lost 100 pounds in about a year but she didn't really do any exercise besides walking and she had a crazy large amount of loose skin. Toning up, strength exercises make a big, big difference. Planks and squats, pushups, good old fashioned calisthenics.
  • bushokie
    bushokie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    thanks always looking for ideas
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    From what I've gathered from research... it depends on a variety of factors. Age, genetics, time, and skin condition.

Strength training seems to help to an extent.
    Hydration (inside out out) seems to help to an extent(LOTS of moisturizer).
    The younger you are the more likely for your skin to 'snap' back.
    If it's a LOT of weight loss, it can take some time for it to happen.

Some peoples skin never seems to snap back, some people have no trouble.

A wait and see game, which kind of stinks. It worries me as well, working so hard for results and you wind up looking great in clothes but like a melted candle out of them......
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I lost roughly 90 lbs in 9 months +/-. Mostly through better eating habits and LOTS of cardio.

The down side was what my wife called "muffin top" around my lower tummy, thighs and the "wings" under my arms.

A friend in my martial arts class had been a trainer in the past and he gave me a simple dumb bell oriented weight lifting program to build up the muscle tone I had lost during my weight loss. This helped me immensely! I kind of regret not including weight/resistance training in my initial weight loss efforts. This might have delayed the weight loss but it certainly would have minimized the excess skin.

I am now a little over a year with weight training being an integral part of my work out regime and the transformation has been incredible. Where there was flabby skin there is now muscle tone! I still have work to do, but most of my excess skin has gone and more importantly, I feel great.

My routine now includes 2 - 3 sessions per week with weights and I joined a proper weights gym last spring.

Note: I will be 48 this summer. So, it is possible to reduce excess skin during the post 40 years.

All the best for your journey.
  • jonesie84
    jonesie84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I lost 57lb in the past year and have had 2 kids. All I did for the first year was cardio and change my eating habits. I have no loose skin around my stomach and I can see abs which is something I am very proud of. i went from 212 to currently at 155. i'm now starting toning because while i dont have lose skin, i would like to have a little more sculpt to how i look and lose maybe another 15lb or so. Good luck!
  • bushokie
    Options
    thanks for the ideas
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Luckily, you're a man and all you have to do is eat enough protein while losing so you retain the muscle you have and lift weights to build so that loose skin fills in with more muscle.
  • xscarletXbegoniasx
    Options
    You need to make sure you are doing exercise+diet, not just diet alone. As one person mentioned weight training helps a lot. Losing too much weight too fast will ultimately cause lose skin. If you exercise and eat proper you will have better results and less loose skin
  • bushokie
    Options
    What's enough protein
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Do a search through the forums, not sure how much a man needs but today with my workout I needed 145 grams...
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've seen this question many times. From what I've seen I think it is genetic. I've seen 100 pounds lost with minimal loose skin and I've seen 30 pound loss with excessive loose skin. I've seen similar antithetic skin results with weight loss rates.

So for me I lost it rapidly (80 lbs in 5 months/about 1/3rd of me) and had just a touch of loose skin in the love handle area. Lucky I guess.
  • nnelson33
    Options
    After reading this, I thoroughly moisturized! We shouldn't be punished for all of our hard work!
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    To avoid loose skin lose weight slowly, that's the only suggestion that i can give.
  • PnutLuv
    PnutLuv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this. About 8yrs ago, I lost 60lbs and was not exercising. My stomach was scary. I've been moderately overweight most of my life, 2 kids, etc. :( I've slowly gained it back, and now am determined to lose it for good, but am doing cardio & strength training on a regular basis. I'm still scared I'm going to have lots of loose skin and look even worse naked, but it's still better to be healthier.....
  • Teddy2lbs
    Teddy2lbs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What's enough protein

One gram of protein per pound of ideal body weight is what I aim for daily. I plan on maintaining weight at around 200 lbs. So I eat a minimum of 200 grams of protein per day.
  • bushokie
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    The amount of loose skin you will have depends on 4 factors: How much you lose, how long you've been quite overweight , how much it was concentrated in one place and how elastic your skin is. The elastic skin part is governed mostly by genetics and age.

All of the solutions folks generally propose are myths: Losing slower doesn't help (if you lose quickly, the skin may bounce back a little after you've lost while if you lose slowly it bounces back the same amount during loss, but it's not because the bouncing back takes longer with fast loss it's because with slow loss the losing takes longer). No cream, lotion, potion or supplement has been shown to help. Either you'll have it or you won't.

One thing does help the APPEARANCE of loose skin and that's lifting. It doesn't affect the skin itself, it just fills back out the empty spaces where the fat was somewhat. Again, how much this will help depends on how much you had to lose.

With 184 lbs lost, I have sharpei arms and legs because that's where I carried my weight. I do have a little loose skin on my belly, but not the much dreaded apron that a lot of folks who lose this much weight get.
  • whittlelauraann
    Options
    I have lost my weight since May (so 9 months) and I don't love my stomach at all! although my start weight now was 239.9 my highest weight was 4 years ago when I was pregnant with my daugther I was up to 265ish. My poor stomach will never be great I fear but I am going to keep working on it. I have done mostly cardio with some strength but not heavy lifting as of yet.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that genetics play the biggest factor. Ive lost 105 lbs just from eating right and walking. My loose skin isnt bad at all, just a bit on my upper inner thighs.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!