Is it just tougher the second time around?

Options
Over the last 2 years I've lost 35lbs and then gained 20lbs back. I've been back at this pretty seriously since about the first of the year, but I've seen zero change since I started back up. Not a pound or an inch. It's really frustrating, because the first time it all just came off like nobody's business. The only things I'm doing different really is that I work out 5 days a week now, whereas I really didn't at all last time, and I also have my activity level set to "active" instead of "lightly active" because I walk no less than three miles a day just getting to, from, and between classes.

Replies

• carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It’s much harder for me now than it was a few years ago.

I lost 50 pounds in 2009 by logging calories (on another, similar site) and taking up running. I plateaued and decided to just maintain for a while even though I was still “overweight”. I’ve gone up and down here and there since then but every attempt I’ve had to drop again has been mostly unsuccessful. I’m currently down 55 pounds from my high weight but I can’t seem to get below that. I definitely go through phases of trying hard and not trying at all and it doesn’t seem to matter which phase I’m in, I have little success.

So, I’m focusing on being healthy – eating well and exercising. As long as I’m doing that, I’m trying to be OK with whatever the scale says.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    For me, it was finally realizing that I had to change my life to lose the weight and keep it off for good. As soon as I did, the fat started melting. Yep, it's eat less, eat better and move more. That simple.. we just have to want it bad enough.
    There will be no more 2nd, 3rd, 4th times for me anymore. When I reach my goal weight, the only thing that will change is the # of calories I can add without gaining weight.
  • kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    For women, because of our hormones, every time we restrict our intake our body worries that it won't get enough and won't let the pounds go! The only way to "fool" your body is to eat over 1200 calories and to start your exercise regime very slowly. Start with walks, gradually increasing and never restrict your diet so much that it drops below that magic 1200! Very important. Get into some good habits so you don't gain it back.
    Good luck!
  • kristina1709
    kristina1709 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I first lost all my weight I was in my early 20's. I gained my weight back when I got married and had my son (20 months old). Now that I am turning 31 this year I have noticed that weight just does not come off like it used to. It IS harder this time around. I dont know if its from having my son, my age or my every day stresses. But yes it is harder this second time.
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I lost 20 pounds on this site. Then i got pregnant and gained it back. It does seem slower this time but if it worked once, it will work again.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's definitely got harder for me over the years. I've been a typical yo-yo dieter in the past, repeatedly losing and gaining the same 30 lbs, while eating very low cal. What I didn't realise was that each time I lost weight too quickly I was losing muscle by eating too little and not exercising right, which in turn resulted in damage to my metabolism.

I'm paying the price now and working to rebuild muscle, after which I'll be looking to lose fat slowly. After doing the same thing for years, and evidently doing it wrong, I have completely changed tack and hopefully am on the right path this time to healthy sustainable weight loss.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The process is no different the first time or the hundredth time. For some people the mental part might be harder because they feel like they failed the first time. For some it's easier because they know they can do it but need to stick with it.
  • thoeting
    thoeting Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    In a word, yes. And i'm on my 3rd try. Let me tell you, if it's tougher the 2nd, it's BRUTAL the 3rd.

On the plus side, it's been so difficult this time, I can never let this happen again. Honestly do not think I could do this ever again.

Keep strong... be patient...keep moving
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    majority of the time it gets tougher the second time around because of all the yo-yo dieting/weight-loss that us women go through. i'm going through the same thing right now.. this time around i'm doing it the right way with advice from my personal trainer/nutritionist who i see typically twice a week. she has definitely helped me realign my habits and even point out things i didn't realize prior!
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My cals are set to 1850 a day before exercise, and I typically burn 300-400 in exercise, which I eat most of but usually not all, just in case. I drink lots of water, and I tend to eat pretty healthy foods, which I weigh with my food scale to make sure I'm getting the serving size right. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm starting to get very frustrated.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have done the gain and lose for a long time now, it does get harder each time because as you age your body reacts differently when you are trying to lose. I definitely am having a harder time now than I did two years ago when I had last lost my weight.

But don't let yourself get frustrated as this is a journey and not just a ride :) You will get there with time!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You might want to measure your body fat to see if the muscle you're building is balancing out your weight loss. You also might be retaining some extra water if you have just started to exercise.

Another thing to do is set your level to sedentary and just count the calories burned through exercise separately.

It sounds like you're doing everything right and I know it's got to be frustrating. If you continue to not see any weightloss, you might want to check with your doctor to see if there's nothing else going on with you physically.
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Yes it is tougher the NEXT time around, regardless of what number is NEXT!!! Sounds like you have some good habits going on. I would play around with your calorie intake. Maybe it is too high, or it could even be too low. No two bodies are exactly the same and fit into a one-size-fits-all perfect solution. Sometimes you have to play with it. If you are doing all cardio, switch some of your exercises up with resistance training or strength training. If you aren't using a HRM, try getting one as my experience is that machine overcalculate cals burned.

Stay with it and all of a sudden the good changes you have made with start showing!!
  • sreed016
    sreed016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I originally lost 35lbs two years go. Gained and relost 10lbs two times but the third time it will not budge!!!

I just turned 44 and am starting to wonder if my hormones are out of whack or something. I am so discouraged right now.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    It's tough every time after the first. My metabolism is shot from all the yoyoing I did. I have tried doing the cal amounts that MFP recommended, the TDEE-20%, this eating plan, that eating plan and nothing is working (in fact I gained 20 lbs over the last year-I will give on 6-8lbs of that being muscle because I have been working out more frequently and doing weights, which I was not before) I spoke to the head trainer at the gym I go to and he told me before messing around with my calorie intake, I need to find out really what my average calorie output per week, his recommendation for this is getting a good HRM (with chest strap, not one that uses strictly pulse measurement) that also calculates calories and wear it all day, everyday for 5 days of activity (I am planning to do 7 since my daily activity is rarely the same during 7 days) and use that to determine the average calorie expenditure for the week so I can adjust accordingly, and as he said since he is not a nutritionist, he recommended that I speak to a registered dietician to help me set up a workable meal plan (I have several food allergies that an RD can develop a plan more suited to my eating ability) I figure I've got nothing to lose except some weight so I might as well give it a shot.

Don't give up even when it seems like it's too hard, just keep trying and eventually you'll find what works for you!