Losing weight to conceive (300+lbs)

Options
Hi Everyone,

I just got serious about losing 140lbs and I'm looking for other women who are in the same boat. I am newly married and we want to start a family but my body is waaaay past my maximum and I can't conceive at this weight (hence the goal of 140lbs). I'm eager to find other women around my age (30) or who have been where I am and have success stories. When you look online in forums it's EXTREMELY rare to find women who have had children at a weight of 300+lbs and I'm just looking to find people with similar goals as me so we can support each other. If you have lost the weight or even had a successful pregnancy at 300+lbs I am very interested in hearing your stories!

Thank You!
M

Replies

• Iwanttobe180lb
    Options
    Hiya, thanks for the friend request, I have 2 children who are now 4 and 1, I have been heavy all my life, and between my 2 children my weight ballooned and i had 2 miscarriages which i believe was down to my weight, i lost around 3 stone and had a second successful pregnancy, unfortunatly i have allowed the weight to pretty much creep back on and i am almost back to my heaviest so i now want to loose it for my children .... i don't want to be the fat mom at the school gates, I want to run around and play with them, but i also want to be able to look in the mirror and be happy with myself! Loose the weight, you CAN do it and it is so worth it for what you have in mind xxx
  • Bobanji
    Bobanji Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My main motivation for losing weight right now is to have a baby pretty soon in the next few years. I'm 28 yo and I've been married for about 3 years now. I was off of bc at one point a long time ago for almost a year trying to conceive and it just didn't happen for us. I figured it just wasn't our time yet and thought maybe stress was a factor. I'm hoping that losing weight and getting into a healthier lifestyle will help us for when we are ready. Feel free to add me if you'd like some support.
  • jesslintch
    jesslintch Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I weighed 325 when my son was conceived. He's two now. Conception was actually easy, but my weight caused many issues during the pregnancy. I experienced a miscarriage (blighted ovum) last spring. My husband and I are currently trying to conceive again and I'm hoping this healthier lifestyle will help. I'd love to be friends with any of you.
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was 380 at one point after I had two children I am under 220 now and I have pcos and haven't been Able to conceive I'd love to be an encouraging friend !
  • thefatchic
    thefatchic Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am soooooooooo happy to have found this. My main reason for losing weight is to be able to conceive. My husband and I have tried for years and all docs can point to is my weight. My husband has a son from his first marriage that I adopted but I would love to be able to give my son a sibling (he asks for constantly) and my husband another child.

Then again, I am also thankful I haven't gotten pregnant in a way. I am paranoid of the effects of being pregnant at my weight. I just couldn't justify leaving my son without a Mom to have another baby. I owe it to them to be healthy.

On the flip side, I know of many Moms who were plus sized and had no problems.
  • debruhf
    debruhf Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Two years ago January, I started MFP and by May I had lost 60lbs and then found out I was pregnant. I started at around 315 and got down to around 250ish when I became pregnant. I was 38 at the time and we had been married for 11 years without children. Losing the weight makes all the difference. So I am back because I gained all the weight back and my son is 1 year old now....so now I am losing the weight for him.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I was able to get pregnant last year. I did have a miscarriage, but knowing I could actually become pregnant was a miracle.
  • Swtmngo
    Options
    Wow this is amazing! Thank you all for sharing and for your support. Those of you with pcos....I don't know much about it and haven't been tested....is it reversible?
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    GREAT post!! I'm single, but want children and worry about not having the ability to conceive when the time is right. I have PCOS and although this condition really isn't 'reversible' it can be controlled and not be a problem when we're at 'normal' weight and have healthy diet/exercise. Those of us with PCOS know it's a double edge sword - it makes it more difficult to lose weight, but by losing weight our symptoms would decrease. But I know it IS possible and WE CAN do this!!!
  • Ashleyambermfp
    Ashleyambermfp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What is PCOS?
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I was 250# when I had child #2. I was once over 300# so I wanted to encourage you. You can do this!!
    Keep trying and exercise as you can. I started very slow at first! Maybe 15-20 minutes at a time. Now I do 60+ minutes with almost no problems but that took time.

Good LUCK!!!
  • kellie1055
    kellie1055 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    We tried for three years to get pregnant. I have PCOS and started taking metformin, after losing 25 pounds I got pregnant with my daughter at 250 lbs. My second daughter came 22 months later and I concieved her at 275. I will say that I was ssssoo uncomfortable during my pregnancies. My hips hurt so bad I could barely walk. I really had a hard time being pregnant. If we have another it will be after I lose weight, Id love to be able to enjoy being pregnant.
  • Flossie1981
    Flossie1981 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am 31 and want to have children in the not so distant future, I also have PCOS and have quite a lot of weight to lose. I would be seriously worried for my health and that of a baby if I fell pregnant now.
  • kellie1055
    kellie1055 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What is PCOS?

It is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It causes you not to ovulate. Symtoms include irregular periods, weight gain especially in the midsection, excessive facial, body hair, hair loss and acne to name a few. Its a hormonal disorder and often metformin, which is a diabetes drug is prescribed to kick start the ovaries.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I was 280 when my daughter was concieved back in 2005...I delivered @ 308. I shot up to 361 because I ate like a lunatic...but now, I am 258.whatever and TTC again. The weight SCREWED up my hormones, but I am working wiht my OBGYN to get preggers. There is a TTC group on here that you should join!! Feel free to add me!! (with a message plz)
  • nikkis01
    nikkis01 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have been around the 300lb since I turned 20 (13 years ago) and I have two lovely kids, my son is 10 and my daughter is 9. I had no problem getting pregnant, no problems during the pregnancy and giving birth was straight forward too. Ive also never had any miscarriages. So for me, being over weight didnt stop me having kids.

For me the problem was after the birth - running around and playing with them, getting down on the floor, being embarrased to have my picture taken. I really wish I could have lost the weight before they were born so I could have been more active with them when they were little.

Im still over 300lb, but its coming off, and Im much more active with the kids :D
  • denisek80
    denisek80 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This is also my motivation. I am getting married this year and although we've not tried to conceive yet there have been occasions in the past where I should have been caught out and fallen pregnant but never did which I suspect is due to my weight. Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I weighed 289 when we conceived my oldest son in 2008. When I delivered him, I was at 303. I gained about 12 lbs in four years, had a miscarriage in there (unknown cause) and joined MFP in May 2012 after being diagnosed with HBP. During my pregnancy, I did not (to the surprise of my OB) develop Gestational Diabetes, I worked very hard at keeping my weight from going too high. I did start to show an elevated BP in the last few weeks of preg, but nothing that warranted medical intervention. I ended up having a C-Section because my body wouldn't progress. No dilation, no thinning, no water breaking, nothing. 3 days of attempted induction, and on day 4, after still no progress, he was delivered in perfect health.

I lost about 40 lbs in 2012 and discovered at the beginning of October that I am once again pregnant. Starting weight (on home scale) was 262. Today (after a salty, but yummy dinner last night), my home scale shows 272. I will likely gain less than 20 lbs for the duration of this pregnancy (due June 4), which *hopefully* means I will finish this pregnancy weighing LESS than my starting weight of my oldest son AND THIS TIME, when all the fluids and baby escape, I will work my *kitten* off to keep the weight that shows on the scale.

HOWEVER, THIS TIME, four or five years later, I am older. I have an intervening HBP diagnosis, soooooooo, this pregnancy, I am working EVEN HARDER at what I eat. I am still logging food here on MFP. I am actually NOT doing as well, food-choice-wise, as I did last time (partly because of the season, lol) and, while BP tends to drop a bit during 1st and 2nd trimesters, I expect I will be on a HBP med during my last trimester. I go in a few weeks to test for GD, but I am not actually very concerned about that.

To sum it up - I have been over 300 and pregnant. I have lost and become pregnant. I have lost while pregnant and I have gained minimal while pregnant. IT CAN be done. Of course I wish I would've been a smaller size going into each pregnancy, but I'm 34. Practically speaking, if I had waited until I was at a goal weight, I might encounter health problems related to age instead of weight. You always worry about whether you're harming your fetus, you always get paranoid about everything until you see it's tiny face in real life. Whether it's weight, age, ibuprofen, fish, skiing, whether you'll be a good mom, hubby a good dad, daycare, balance, blah blah blah - there is ALWAYS SOMETHING to fret about. You do the best you can, period.

Do your own research on the risk factors of being plus sized and getting pregnant and being pregnant. Don't assume you will have a hard time getting there (I was off the pill for only two cycles) and don't assume you will have every medical problem the media says plus size pregnant women have. But be prepared that they are possibilities.

The key right now IS getting into good habits. KNOW how to eat right, KNOW how to move more, KNOW what your current health state is (Sugar, Cholesterol, BP). DON'T try to cheat the tests, DON'T ignore the results and DON'T chalk the results up to a fluke or a bad meal the night before. Set your baseline with your GP and improve upon it. Take a prenatal. Function and prepare for a pregnancy like you would any other test or competition. Prepare yourself mentally and physically while you can! Because, once you get pregnant, you will probably lose your mind over how little control you have over so much.

Oops, that was long. Lol.
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and am a newly wed. My husband and I are still in school so we know we are not ready to have children, but I want to lose weight for when we are in a year or two. It is so much harder to lose weight with PCOS. It's not all bad news though my mother was told she couldn't have kids and she had 3 beautiful full term pregnancies when she weighted over 300 lbs, it just took 5 years for them to concieve me, 2 years of trying for my brother, and then my sister was an oops (condoms and bc pills). So it's not impossible :) keep youhead up and just work on getting healthy, leave the rest up to the Lord.
  • carryonthefight
    carryonthefight Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Being around my nephew gives me some extreme baby fever. I want a baby so bad. I don't plan to have a baby until my mid to late twenties though, but I do know that in order to even consider being a mother I need to be healthy. I'm a worrier so if I was to get pregnant at the weight I am now I would constantly worry about the effects on myself and the child. I also worry that sometimes because of my weight I might never have a healthy pregnancy.