Healthy but filling breakfasts?

Options
I try to eat healthily at breakfast time, but I find that in about an hour after travelling to school (in the middle of class for example) my stomach starts rumbling again and I am STARVING!

Do you have any tips for staying full for a couple hours after breakfast? Or any foods that "stick to your ribs" as my dad would say haha.

What low calorie foods do you eat for breakfast?

Replies

• LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Try and fit some protein in your meal if there isn't much. If you have an omelette with some lean meat or fish it can be pretty filling. I used to mix some canned tuna with an egg and some veggies and cook that up. I would imagine it's only a couple hundred calories. Add some berries too. I always find this keeps me going until lunch.

I do realise fish in the morning may not be for everyone :laugh:
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Are you eating protein for breakfast?

I eat a bowl of steel cut oats with 4-5 scrambled egg whites...fills me up and wards off hunger until lunch. I do have a snack @ 10:30, whether I'm hungry or not.
  • abbygrit
    Options
    This will sound really weird but I have gluten free waffle, a tablespoon of peanut butter and a cup of plain (though I do add some Stevia) nonfat Greek yogurt. Really filling and tasty.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Egg whites and turkey sausage scrambled up and put in a low carb tortilla with spinach and salsa - YUM.

Work days I have a "Weight Management" oatmeal every morning - keeps me full till snack time at 10!
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I really like fruits with yoghurt at the moment. I'd have fruits like blueberries, raspberries, kiwi, plums (low calorie and good for you) with whatever yoghurt makes you happy.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Eggs or egg substitute, greek yogurt, fresh fruit, milk, bacon, pancakes, avocado, steamed rice, grilled fish, or any balanced combination of proteins, fats and carbs.
  • avery_ed
    Options
    I have 1/2 cup of steel cut oats with a little bit of honey with blueberries mixed in, then a side of kiwi and blackberries. I've found that drinking hot tea can stave off hunger until I can eat again.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    hard boiled egg with avacado on whole grain toast

plain greek nonfat yogurt with protein powder a bit of honey and flax seed blended

natural peanut nut butter with banana on whole grain toast

Egg and cheese burrito! (woth tomato and peppers and onion and feta and cheddar! LOL mmmm)

actually anything with high protein
  • Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I like a protein shake and a cup of oatmeal.
  • Jexxe
    Jexxe Posts: 1
    Options
    Take a snack with you, 1oz of almonds work great for me
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs, meat (usually sausage, bacon or ham), and slice of toast with butter & jelly is a more common breakfast for me. I usually eat about 6:30 and that keeps me from being hungry until lunch at 11:30ish.

ETA: This was this morning's breakfast and it totalled 358 calories, including a tablespoon of shredded cheese on my eggs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Need to make sure you're getting some protein at breakfast. A lot of people have very carb heavy breakfasts...cereal with lots of added sugar, etc. This stuff doesn't fill you up for long. Here's my daily:

1 Serving Coach's Oats
    2 eggs scrambled or hardboiled
    1 - 8oz glass 1% milk (some goes in the oats)
    100g blueberries or strawberries
    1 5.5 oz glass v8

This comes to about 464 calories and really gets me going for the day. I recently bumped my goal from TDEE - 20% to TDEE - 10%...before I upped my calories I was only having 1 egg and had less fruit.

I also plan nutrient dense snacks in the AM and PM...something easy like and apple and greek yogurt or nuts and an orange.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    peanut butter (11/4 tbsp = 120 cals) on whole wheat toast (Sara Lee brand 2 slices = 120 cals) and 1/2 c.1 % milk (55 cals) = 295 cals

take fruit as a snack, drink lots of water or have a hot tea or cofee, they help you feel full...but can lead to a lot of bathroom breaks.
  • yurika975
    yurika975 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some great suggestions. It also depends on what you like. You could eat yogurt and a piece of fruit like a banana. You could also have oatmeal, piece of toast and a few slices of bacon. Oatmeal is filling and I always remember staying full for oz of orange juice, quite a while. You could even add a scoop of protein powder to it. You could go for smoothies if you want something quick. Maybe mix oranges, a banana and some yogurt for a quick yummy breakfast you can drink on your way to class.
  • jillianedwards
    jillianedwards Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Lately ive been doing this
    1 whole large egg
    1/2 cup of egg whites
    1/4 of a pepper chopped
    1 button mushroom
    2 slices of turkey bacon
    and sometimes 1/4 cup of salsa
    scramble it all together, then put the salsa on top!

it keeps me super full untill lunch time! and its about 250 calories!
  • Katie_a_Mae_zing
    Options
    First, drink 8 oz of water first thing when you wake up.

I switch off between:

1/2 cup of 2% Low Fat Cottage Cheese w/1-2 servings of fruit

OR

1 cup oatmeal w/1-2 servings of fruit

If I get hungry in between I eat another fruit (apple, banana, melon)
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I've been eating oatmeal with a teaspoon of peanut butter. For some reason, the peanut butter really keeps me from getting hungry early (the oatmeal alone didn't cut it). Plus it really tastes good. But then, I like peanut butter.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Bacon and eggs. Eggs are 70 calories a pop and two slices of bacon are about 80. They just get a bad rep because they're not low fat.
  • radscorpion
    Options