Restaurant Nutrition Facts?

Options
Hello all,

This is my first topic (and first time posting on the forum) and I was just hoping someone may have discovered a solution to a problem I've encountered multiple times regarding restaurants providing nutrition facts for their entrees and other menu items. It seems like a lot of restaurants (excluding chains mostly) don't provide nutrition facts for their menu items on their websites, and if you ask them while dining they either look at you like you're crazy or simply say they don't have them. For example, I ate at a fairly prestigious restaurant recently (Pere Marquette Lodge) and asked the waiter for the nutrition facts for the meal I ordered 3 times and never received them. Another example, I'm supposed to go to a local Chinese buffet restaurant with my coworkers for lunch today and I can't find any nutrition facts for their food anywhere on the internet, and it will be somewhat uncomfortable asking for them in front of everyone.

So, has anyone found some Holy Grail answer to this common problem, or should I just suck it up and make estimates for my calorie counter? Thanks in advance :)

Christina

Replies

• BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Most local restaurants aren't going to provide nutritional information. It's just the way it is. Personally, I look at the NI for a chain with similar food and use that to give an educated guess.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    When its not available I look for the closest thing to it that is available.
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I really try not to eat at a place unless they have nutrition facts. I hate not knowing. BLECK. If I'm forced to, then I order something that is the equivalent of a meal I already know the calories for.

Also, just ask them! Who cares if they look at you weird? You care about your health, and they probably don't, so they can just deal with it. :) Be brave! :D You deserve to be able to know what you're putting in your own body.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,266 Member
    Options
    Just have to guess.

If I don't know the nutritional information I will possibly do:
    1) Find something similar and use that (usually over estimating)
    2) Know it is most likely a splurge and don't worry about it
    3) Don't eat out.

And honestly, I don't think a restaurant should be forced to give out it's nutritional information. No one is required to eat there. It is a choice that one makes to do so. If it is such a huge issue, then don't eat out.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    If they won't provide the facts, don't eat the food. A chinese food buffet sounds like a red flag to me in the first place. Chances are it's not traditional chinese food but American/Chinese food which is no good
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    google it. People have already asked the web, the web has responded. You will be hard pressed to find no nutrition facts on the web for any chain.

Otherwise, eat at places that you can get the facts if this is a deal breaker.
  • sherodswife
    sherodswife Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone that has nutrition facts for over 400 restaurants. I paid $1.99 for it and it has been well worth it.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I just don't go anywhere where they don't provide the nutrition information. If I absolutely have to go somewhere without calorie information then it is usually accompanied by lots of stress/worry/anxiety. I'll then tend to order the thing I think will be healthiest - taking into account dressings and how its cooked etc. I'll then log it ridiculously higher than it would be - rather over estimate than under estimate. All in all it will be a horrific experience and I'll feel bad about it all day.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I always try to make estimated guesses. Like, if I'm eating Chinese I know that not all of them make the same dish the same way so I try to find a generic one or use Panda Express as they area chain restaurant with nutrition information. Sometimes when out at restaurants, I'll ask what brands they use- tomato sauce, deli meants, pasta, tortillas, etc. and then look up the nutrition information for those brands and try to combine them as a meal for an idea of the total calories per meal. If you're unsure of serving sizes- I carry a tablespoon, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup, measuring device with me to keep in my desk at work for ordering in/eating out. Have a set at home, and a 1/2 cup in the car :) You'd be surprised at how much a cup of food is! Also, when you know how much you're eating, you can eat with confidence. Good luck!
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Eating out is the hardest one. If it is a "local" place and not a chain, you will almost never get the nutrition info. There are ususally something in the database that is close. If I know I am eating out and can't find the info before hand, I will find the closest thing on the database and typically add a random 200 cals more though the quick add to help cover what I don't know about it.

From my WW days ages ago, I found a website that listed nutritional info for a bunch of restaurants. Maybe this will help as well: http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.html

Good luck and try to estimate the best you can if you can't find the info.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I can't see me refusing to eat out somewhere just cos they dont have the nutritional information available!

They're not required to provide it , and most customers wont really care for that much detail. I certainly wouldn't expect a waiter to have detailed knowledge of everything they're serving. How it's cooked, is a reasonable question, what's the fat content - can't blame them if they dont know.

I'm looking at this as a sustainable lifestyle change, and obsessing and stressing over the last calorie isn't part of my lifestyle.

I usually quick add 1000 calories for a restaurant meal, and write something in the notes section of my diary.
  • Cris240
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Eating out is a source of morale for me and I even have some money set aside in my budget purely for restaurant outings each month. I also have a pretty strong sense of comaraderie with my coworkers so I can't just blow off a luncheon with them because they chose a restaurant that doesn't provide nutrition facts, especially since office luncheons don't happen very often.

I'll just have to make educated guesses and take into account what kind of restaurant I'm at/what kind of food I'm having and eat in moderation (which I always do anyways). Thanks for all the great info and generous help! :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your meal!
  • foodiedz
    Options
    The golden rule going forward should be to eat at restaurant's with more than 20 locations. Starting in April the FDA is releasing regulations on all chains with more than 20 locations and they will have to show the calories on all menus and provide a full breakdown of the nutrition information upon customer request. You should see all of them listed by November 2013 at the latest.

Also, I've had good luck with Nutritionix for restaurant information. They didn't have a few restaurants I wanted so I emailed them and they got the information for me pretty quickly. Hope this helps!
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Tip for eating out....order a salad and have an appetizer as your main meal. Skip the bread--or have 1 pc and push the basket to the other side of the table. Drink lots of water while you're waiting for your food. If you have wine or other adult beverages, have them brought with the meal so you don't load up on calories (and lose your resolve in the meantime). Split dessert with a dinner companion. This way, even if you don't know the calorie count, you can still practice portion control.
  • dzlilo
    dzlilo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I usually compare the dish to other places and use an average out of 2-3 places. I just use the chain restaurants' listings.

Because I cook a lot, I'll start estimating the calories based on indivual ingredients for some dishes.. I log in everything that I see on the plate including ingredients to make the sauce. I tend to overestimate the fat/butter, but I rather not underestimate.
  • TheTortoiseWins
    TheTortoiseWins Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You may have more luck asking how things are prepared rather than for nutrition information. For example, if you can find out whether the vegetables served on the side are roasted in olive oil or sauteed in butter, you can estimate your calories more accurately. Every restaurant should be able to tell you how a dish is prepared even if they don't have the nutrition info.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I refuse to stop visiting my favorite places just because they are small and local and don't have nutrition info. Usually I try to find a similar item and guesstimate. As long as it guesswork isn't every single day, you should be fine. I'll bet my guesses are in the ballpark.
  • trickycoolj
    trickycoolj Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My county passed a law a few years ago that requires all restaurants with more than a certain number of locations to provide nutrition facts. That said, it means my corner take-out teriyaki place doesn't have nutritional info and probably never will. But I can get out the measuring cup and scale when I bring it home and measure out a portion of rice, weigh out a portion of grilled chicken, and the salad/dressing and maybe calculate in a little more for the teriyaki merinade. It's actually one of the better take out options.

I am surprised how many of my favorite local chains are available in the MFP database (Hurrah for crowd sourcing!) so be sure to check. Also if it's a place you really frequent say a neighborhood restaurant or in my case there are two local pizza chains with maybe less than 10 locations total in just my city that I love. One has facts on their website (and are in MFP!) the other does not. While I usually just guess based off the one that does, the one that does not is closer and more convenient. I've been considering emailing them and asking if they'd start providing them. Doesn't hurt to ask, if anything then they know their customers actually want it. Frame it in that you're working on tracking food to improve your health but love to splurge on their pizza but want to make sure you're keeping to your goals, here is how they can help. To the restaurant, that keeps you coming back as a customer because they can help you stay on plan.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    The golden rule going forward should be to eat at restaurant's with more than 20 locations. Starting in April the FDA is releasing regulations on all chains with more than 20 locations and they will have to show the calories on all menus and provide a full breakdown of the nutrition information upon customer request. You should see all of them listed by November 2013 at the latest.

Also, I've had good luck with Nutritionix for restaurant information. They didn't have a few restaurants I wanted so I emailed them and they got the information for me pretty quickly. Hope this helps!

You beat me to it. :happy:
    Had this problem yesterday when my husband wanted to go to Logan's for lunch. Most of their items I had to guess, because they don't plan on doing this until they have to.