I got a question :400 cal only last me 3 hours

Options
It was recommended to me more than once in my life time that I should only have 400 cal/ meal. My question is, how come it seems to only last me 3 hours and I start feeling shaky. I was informed that my job as a "nurse" is one of the factor, that nurses sits down alot; which I dont think so, at least for me, I work in the floor, i do alot of walking and walking. On a regular day, the only time I have a chance to sit is use the bathroom, eat, talk on the phone. In some ways I think that 400 cal is not right.

Replies

• Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was a food rule like that...I think as long as you stay within your calories by the end of the day, it doesn't matter. If your getting shaky, you could add snacks in between meals. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try eating more often, you probably get tired because you should eat every 2-3 hours. I eat 3 small meals and 4-5 snacks per day. I eat at 6:30 am, 9:00 am, 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, 3:00 pm, 4:30, 6:00 pm and a snack around 8:30, I never have low energy and am never stuffed yet never starving. Sometimes I skip the 4:30 snack.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was a food rule like that...I think as long as you stay within your calories by the end of the day, it doesn't matter. If your getting shaky, you could add snacks in between meals. :)

Your metabolism will run better if your meals are close together and smaller, so large meals take energy do digest, instead of to perform. I probably keep them under 550 cals.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    1. How many calories are you alloted per day?
    You should graze during the day--small amounts of food every couple of hours--to keep your metabolism going.
    2. Are you factoring in your exercise calories and eating most of them each day?
    As a nurse, you walk most of the day--checking on patients and doing other duties at work. Do you wear a pedometer? My daughter works at Walmark as a cashier and she walks 3-4 miles per day, easily.
    3. Could caffiene be causing you to shake? Or, could you be eating lots of sugar and having a sugar crash?
    Eat protien, fruits, vegetables, healthy fats,and the good carbs during your meals/snacks and drink lots of water, tea, juices.

Bossy, aren't I? ;) Hope these ideas work.
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    400 cals per meal is fine if you're having three meals and three snacks per day which leaves you eating every 2-3 hours.

Nursing is hard work!
  • mooselady2004
    mooselady2004 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you eat 300 calorie meals every 3 hours, and each includes a protein and a carb, the carb will satisfy you in the short term, and the protein will satisfy you in the long term. I have been doing this for over a month, and I stay full, until just about exactly 3 hours, and then I am suddenly hungry. I could set my watch by it :)
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options

Your metabolism will run better if your meals are close together and smaller, so large meals take energy do digest, instead of to perform. I probably keep them under 550 cals.
    Its funny...I've been doing well with my diet as is, but this morning I had changed my food diary to 6 meal slots. So far, I eat every 2 hours with mini meals and by the time I'm hungry, its time to eat again. I may have to keep it this way. Glad you posted this question!!
    Should I eat every 2 hours, or should it be 3?
  • bambi74
    bambi74 Posts: 6
    Options
    :smile: Thanks alot to all of you for all of the input, so today I was able to eat around 700 cal for breakfast, a garden salad for lunch, a granola bar and sedona for snack and noodle dish for dinner, no shaking today even after working for 12 hours.
  • bambi74
    bambi74 Posts: 6
    Options
    Your advice is one of the things I have started trying. So I bought some granola bars for snack and suprisingly my salar I had for lunch last me until after 8 for dinner. Thanks for all of your advice.