*kitten* quitters

Options
anyone quit smoking and gain weight, thats what happened to me

Replies

• red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I gained about 10 lbs when I quit smoking a few years ago...but I figured that the temporary weight gain was WELL worth it for such a positive change. I'd much rather be a fat non smoker than a skinny smoker, and if told I had to either eat a Big Mac or smoke a Marlboro, I'd choose the Big Mac every time.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Good job on quitting smoking. Now that's over, now quit over eating or eating crap! Same thing. Just switch the will power to food.
    You're getting healthy one step at a time.
    You've got the strength to quit smoking, food will be a piece of cake......heehee, sorry....
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Yep, I quit 3 years ago and gained 25 pounds. That's how I got fat enough to wind up here, and on my program. Glad I did both.

You can get it back down,,, no biggie.
  • oliveoil7979
    oliveoil7979 Posts: 112
    Options
    thankfully the reason I FINALLY quit was because I had taken up running. Those 2 don't really mix. I think because I was running so much I didn't put on any weight this time. Thank goodness. The last few times I quit I always gained weight.

Good luck stay with it.
  • ourtreasure
    Options
    piece of cake haha. yeah i gained neally 4 stone but this site has given me the best incentive ever i usually give in but am determined this time. i did a 5km run for charity last week, i walked a bit of it but its a big step for me and ive entered a half marathon for next year hopefully im prepared by then
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I quit 10 years ago and gained a TON of weight...but I'm glad I quit!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    piece of cake haha. yeah i gained neally 4 stone but this site has given me the best incentive ever i usually give in but am determined this time. i did a 5km run for charity last week, i walked a bit of it but its a big step for me and ive entered a half marathon for next year hopefully im prepared by then

That's AWESOME! Good luck on your mini marathon prep - I bet you'll do wonderfully.
  • ourtreasure
    Options
    thankyou very much
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I gained 45lb when I quit and I have only just lost it all BUT... I'm smoking again...BUT... only for another day or two (taking Zyban which should kick in any day)

I wanted to make sure I had a complete lifestyle change and lots of gym time before I quit again. I NEVER want to go back to that ever again!
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options
    can't say I'm a smoker or ever quit, but I opened this topic expecting a completely different subject!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    *kitten*

British slang for "cigarette" (originally, especially, the butt of a smoked cigarette), 1888, probably from *kitten*-end "extreme end, loose piece" (1613), from *kitten* "loose piece" (1486), perhaps related to *kitten* (v.).
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    thankfully the reason I FINALLY quit was because I had taken up running. Those 2 don't really mix. I think because I was running so much I didn't put on any weight this time. Thank goodness. The last few times I quit I always gained weight.

Good luck stay with it.

Me too! I quit to train for a 1/2 marathon. I didn't gain any weight but I didn't lose any either. I also had to temporarily give up drinking since I closely associated drinking and smoking. I have been smoke free for over a year!
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options
    *kitten*

British slang for "cigarette" (originally, especially, the butt of a smoked cigarette), 1888, probably from *kitten*-end "extreme end, loose piece" (1613), from *kitten* "loose piece" (1486), perhaps related to *kitten* (v.).

I know that it British slang, but its NEVER used here so when I say the post my mind immediately went to its most common use here in the US. lol I was hoping for a comedic post
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I quit over 7 years ago. But first I got hooked on the lozenges, kept me from sucking that crap in my lungs though. Then one day I'd had enough and stepped away from them too and never looked back. I gained over 40 lbs.

When they say ex-smokers are the harshest smoking critics - I am one of them. I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke anymore, not on people, not in the elevator, not at the front door to a workplace. Still love pipe and cigar smoke though...:happy:

It has been so long that I never think about smoking anymore. It's like it never happened and I'd been smoking since I was 7yrs old and carry packs when I was 11. That's 40 yrs of smoking.
  • ourtreasure
    Options
    haha gay did cross my mind when i started this post but hey never mind. i used patches to quit they itch like hell but i just ignored it and kept them on. as for being a harsher critic when you quit, you are right there my partner still smokes too but it doesnt make it any harder on me im past it now. but im always telling people to quit. i think its because i smoked so much and had no will power for ages so if i can do it anyone can. p.s. im hungry dinner time i think
  • ourtreasure
    Options
    ive lost 9lbs in my first half week