What to wear to the gym?

Options
What do you all wear the gym?

Never gone and looking to go. But what do i wear? At home im in my p.j's lol, but i cant do that at the gym. lol

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Yeah I wouldn't recommend PJs haha. I wear yoga capris (or pants), sports bra, and a "tech" tank top (it wicks the sweat away, unlike a regular cotton top). I hate wearing shorts because they ride up and I hate anything with sleeves, but that's all personal preference. Just wear whatever allows you to move and whatever you're comfortable in. PJ pants are probably too baggy and will get in the way (or worse yet, fall off!)
  • bpn80
    bpn80 Posts: 43
    Options
    I wear a tech tank top and and capri pants, and a sports bra. I recommend going to Target or Walmart and getting some fairly inexpensive clothes from their workout section and try out a few things until you see whats comfortable for you. Most importantly, you want something you feel GREAT in!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    <Edited out facetious comment.>
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I wear capri-length workout pants and a t-shirt. I actually started wearing a leotard underneath it all because my shirt tends to ride up while my pants tend to ride low, and I was exposing too much skin. Now that I feel covered and comfortable, I can focus all my attention on making the most of my workout.

ETA: My stuff is the Xersion brand from JCPenney.
    http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/women/shop-by-size/plus-size/clothing/activewear/cat.jump?id=cat100250060&deptId=dept20000013&subcatId=cat100240005&N=868
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Just something comfortable that you can move it, but not too baggy that it will get in the way.

I wear pants all the time - I agree with the poster who said they ride up and get uncomfortable. And I'm not in a place (YET!) where I want to be wearing shorts in public!

And I wear cotton t-shirts. I know some people go for a fabric that wicks away moisture, but I kinda like seeing how much I've sweat. It lets me know I've worked hard.

It's all just personal preference. But don't feel like you have to go out and buy matching designer stuff! Just wear what's comfy for you.
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    like bpn80 said, get inexpensive clothing at least until you decide what you like.
    I get sweaty everyday so I wash often which means I need a lot of clothes. I have 1 nice outfit for days I am exercising in a class or with a friend and wear cheap stuff the rest of the time. I buy my cheapo stuff at vallue village, you can get great sports tee-shirts for less than a buck.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I wear Capri workout pants and an oversized tshirt. Comfy and not fashionable at all. Perfect :)
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yoga pants or capri workout pants and a tshirt. Usually tshirts are 100% cotton so they breath. A good bra or sports bra also. Good tennis shoes are a must also. Wear something comfy but not too baggy.
    Good luck!
  • Mermaidyo
    Mermaidyo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yoga pants ( I bought them at old navy long time ago) and a tshirt. Usually one I normally don't wear as regular street clothes.
  • asizesix
    asizesix Posts: 134
    Options
    I love Lululemon for work out clothes..their stuff is all super cute and makes me feel more confident at the gym.
  • Nicks_scotland
    Options
    Bottoms:
    I wear lycra 3/4 trousers on the bottom, I used to wear baggy capri style pants but they kept falling down as I jumped about - too annoying. I could care less that the lycra is tight round my waist and causes a lovely bump effect (that's why I'm at gym class in the first place!!).

Upper:
    Nike sports bra (can't live without them), cheap tight vest and a baggy cotton t-shirt with short sleeves. I need the sleeves so I can wipe the sweat off my face! HRM.

Each to their own, I wouldn't recommend wearing what a young guy in my gym was wearing the other day..... Jeans... I was shocked!

x
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Check Old Navy clearance. You can find some really inexpensive stuff there. Maybe even Walmart.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I am a lululemon lover haha! So lulu pants and a lulu top, but I always look for deals and people giving away hand me downs :)

I would recommend leaving the pjs at home, just make sure you're comfortable!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I got a few quick dry shirts at JC Penney for about ten bucks each, and I buy my workout pants at target. The pair I bought yesterday was 21 dollars.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, lululemon does not carry plus sizes.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Good supportive shoes. As to sports bras, if you are well-endowed I would recommend a) making sure it is well fitting (don't get hung up on size) with enough 'bounce' protection depending on your level of activity b) cheaper is not always better even if your not sure if going to continue.
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've seen people in PJ pants at the gym. I just assume it's the closest thing to sweats they own so good on them!
    That being said, PJs in public are not MY cup of tea. Right now for winter working out, I have a pair of full length Under Armour running tights and a pair of full length yoga pants. The UA is pricey but very well made, the yoga pants are Danskin ones I bought at WalMart because they were on sale for $9. The thing to look for is bottoms that are fitted around the crotch. (lol that was so weird to type) If you're anything like me and have chafe-y thighs, having the fabric there saves the workout. I also have a couple pairs of bike shorts that I can wear under sweats shorts on days when my other bottoms are dirty. For tops I wear old high school T-Shirts or just my sports bra.

Edit: A lot of my friends have much bigger boobies than me, and they say wearing two sports bras is the solution there.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Go to the athletic section of Target and pick some *kitten* out. Done.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Old Navy also has some cute work out clothes for all sizes and not expensive. Just make sure whatever you get is comfortable and you feel good in.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Old grey sweat pants and a short sleeve tee shirt....I don't care what I look like...There are many in the gym who look worse than me...