Different Program, Same Idea - Round 2

Options
Hello,

I have been on an uphill climb in weight gain for the past 5 years. It is getting to the point that I look at myself and feel disgusted. I am 80 lbs over my doctor's recommended healthy weight and I feel like no matter what I do, I cannot get myself in gear. I have quite a bit of out side things going on in my life that make eating healthy difficult. I have little to no support from others on this, but I do want to be healthy. This is not healthy. I want to be able to walk to my desk at work without feeling out of breath. I want to be able to go on a bike ride with my husband and not feel self-concious. I hate that I cannot wear dresses because my legs rub together. The worst part for me is that I do not feel like myself, like the body that I am wearing around belongs to someone else.

So - that is why I am here. Last week on Monday I logged in to this site thinking, telling myself that I would do this. Tuesday, I was frustrated and did not return. Today I am back. I do not want to give up on this. If anyone has any helpful hints, tips, support, etc. I would really appreciate it. I want to get to a place where I can do the activities I want again.

Replies

• skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal. Adding a lot of people on this site helps with motivation. Good Luck. :smile:
  • lessfatmatt
    lessfatmatt Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I agree with skinnyme47 that having friends here really helps, so this post is a great start - getting immediate positive reinforcement from friends for eating and exercising well is (imo) a big part of what makes MFP work. Feel free to add me :)
  • drbob444
    drbob444 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey Tammi,
    Firstly good on you for even wanting to get healthy. Remember the longest journey begins with one short step and you have made that step.
    Don't be in a rush and above all don't beat yourself up.
    once you get into the habit of regular exercise and good eating habits, life really looks up.
    Keep the chin up lady. Good luck
    dr bob
  • Eerinelizz
    Eerinelizz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think many people on here can relate to this! I was in pretty good shape about a year and a half ago, but after some major life changes, I gained about 20 pounds. Like you, I didn't feel like the person I was looking at in the mirror was really "me". I tried many times to get back on track and start exercising and eating right again, but unless I have the right motivation and get into the "weight loss zone", I just can't commit. Maybe you can set a goal for yourself....do you have a vacation planned in the future? Would you love to run a 5K? If not, plan a vacation, or sign up for a 5K that is many months away. Having a deadline and setting goals may give you some motivation. That's what worked for me. Good luck to you, and feel free to add me as a friend on here....I found that my MFP friends have been great at keeping me going and logging every day!
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    welcome!! just remember, this thing doesn't happen over-night! lord knows I didn't gain my weight over-night .... when adding your support, just keep in mind, you want to surround yourself with positive productive people!! Stay true to yourself and your goals!! One day at a time will turn into 20 days, and before you know it, you'll be crossing that 1 year mark!

This site, combined with a few others, have helped me, and will continue!! Good luck my friend!!!
  • TammiBrewer
    TammiBrewer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just updating to everyone since you all were kind enough to share some tips and support.

I really started focusing more about three weeks ago when I hired a group/personal trainer and took up her 3 day detox. The detox was very difficult for me. However, now, three weeks and two days later I feel much better and it does not feel as hard. I have lost six pounds even though my log here does not show it (I did not update my weight when I started with her). Over the holidays I had gained a couple more pounds.

Anyhow, I am now eating healthier and am exercising once a week. That's a big step in my mind. I am very proud of my weight loss even though it is slow. Slow and steady - that's how the tortise beat the hare!!!

Thanks again for your support and encouragement!