Why A Scale Doesn't Matter

Options
I've been logging my calories for 30 days and have been working out 4-5 days a week. And although I initially lost 6 lbs, I haven't lost any more. In fact, I've put back on 3 of those lost pounds and was baffled and disappointed because I knew hard hard I'd been working out and eating relatively well. Thankfully, 2 weeks into starting my "getting fit" mission, I took measurements of my neck, waist and hips and just 2 weeks later I lost 1/2" in my neck, 1" in my waist and 1" in my hips, despite what the scale was saying. Not to mention, my stomach is super flat from doing HIIT workouts on the bleachers. Anyhow, I know a lot of us obsess about what the scale says, so wanted to share my story, progress and this great article I found about "Why The Number On The Scale Doesn't Matter."

I'm a believer now in NOT obsessing about what the scale says. I'm more of a believer in how my clothes fit, how I feel and how I look. I hope this helps those of you that are bothered by what your scale says.

http://blog.shareitfitness.com/2012/why-scale-doesnt-matter/#.URKDhh1jUTZ

EXERCISE TO BE FIT. NOT SKINNY!

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I need to see that number to make it all real to me. The last time I got rid of my scales, I weighed about 160. Three years later, I weighed in the 190s, topping out at 207. Never again.
  • hcokley
    Options
    I'm new, by the way. But I am getting a little discouraged by my scale as well. I am dedicated to working out and eating well (although i need to be just as dedicated to filling out my daily stuff too, but hey, baby steps.) My clothes fit SOOO much better, but I haven't lost that much and I have been exercising everyday for the last three weeks. My "breaks" are on Saturday where instead of the gym, I take my doggy to our riverwalk park. It's beautiful. But anywho, sometimes I feel really guilty that I'm eating too much because I feel so full. Especially this morning. My breakfast was dried apples and a protein and fiber bar, and it totalled to be 514 or something like that calories. My lunch will be 244. Trying to keep from getting discouraged or making unhealthy choices by not eating enough. I JUST found out last night that eating late is not bad for you at all. Didn't know that. But it helps. Because between work, child, gym, hubby, dog, and house duties, I get kinda too busy to eat!!
  • vleebow
    vleebow Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I need to see that number to make it all real to me. The last time I got rid of my scales, I weighed about 160. Three years later, I weighed in the 190s, topping out at 207. Never again.

Yeah, I wouldn't suggest getting rid of your scale. LOL. I would just encourage you to not fret over the number so much, considering our weight fluctuates daily. And if you're eating well, working out, your clothes fit better and your body looks better then don't concern yourself with a number on a scale, per se. ;-) Good luck on your journey to better fitness. :happy:
  • vleebow
    vleebow Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm new, by the way. But I am getting a little discouraged by my scale as well. I am dedicated to working out and eating well (although i need to be just as dedicated to filling out my daily stuff too, but hey, baby steps.) My clothes fit SOOO much better, but I haven't lost that much and I have been exercising everyday for the last three weeks. My "breaks" are on Saturday where instead of the gym, I take my doggy to our riverwalk park. It's beautiful. But anywho, sometimes I feel really guilty that I'm eating too much because I feel so full. Especially this morning. My breakfast was dried apples and a protein and fiber bar, and it totalled to be 514 or something like that calories. My lunch will be 244. Trying to keep from getting discouraged or making unhealthy choices by not eating enough. I JUST found out last night that eating late is not bad for you at all. Didn't know that. But it helps. Because between work, child, gym, hubby, dog, and house duties, I get kinda too busy to eat!!

Whatever you do...don't get discouraged. Just keep at it. One week you may loose a lot, another week nothing. But...if you just stick to it, you will see your body transform. I'll send you a friend request and we can encourage each other. :smile:
  • Lisa2bHappy
    Options
    @ vleebow... I'm with you on this!
    It truly dnt matter about the numbers on the scale and I learnt that after this weeks weigh in as you know.
    I have decided to go off a score of 1-10 on how I feel each week before I step on the scales as tuesday I felt great then when the scales did not show what I felt I deserved I was proper upset but came to the conclusion 'scales lie' as there is no way on earth I should not have lost.. Like you I too feel slimmer and I dnt want to be skinny thank god, I just want to be a healthy, slim & toned up version of my self! Tc and keep up your good work.
  • hcokley
    Options
  • cardio_fiend
    Options
    Thank you for this great post. Your words definitely apply to me. It sure does seem to take longer for the weight to come off, when there's not much to lose.

Focusing on the loss of inches:-)