possibly silly question for runners

Options

Replies

• akyoimage
    Options
    agreed. i run around 5 km non stop in a day around 7.5 min/km.
  • Lostone31
    Options
    If you are getting stitches you need to breathe deeper. Through the nose and out the mouth. I tend to get a stitch early and then remember to properly breath and they go away quickly.

Just don't heel strike... For the love of your joints, back and neck do not heel strike!!! Front to midfoot is the way to go with keeping your legs under you. Had a shin splint once from heel striking and had to walk 1.5 miles in utter pain.

I personally hate stopping. It can and has ruined runs for me.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how you breath, nose, mouth, whatever. That is the runner equivalent of an old wives tale. Breathe deeply, not shallow breaths.

If you are getting a stitch, time your breathing so you inhale, exhale on your left foot or right foot-opposite of what you had been doing. If that doesnt work, bend over, dangle yor arms, and push allll the air out of your lungs. Raise your arms above your head as you stand and breathe in deeply. Push your fingers in stitch area, sometimes that helps too
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I live in a mountain town with lots of hills, so yes I walk on occasion. Running in a high altitude with hills, makes it super easy when I run in flat areas in a lower altitude. I did a 10K in the city and I was surprised how much easier it was to breathe and run.
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I do if I get a cramp. But don't be hard on yourself if you walk for a bit. No matter how fast you're going, you're still going faster than you would be if you were just sitting on the couch :)
    love this!
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second time trying c25k. I never have made it to the end. So tonight I went to the gym and decided to walks or 5 minutes in the beginning. Then run until I feel like I have to stop, then switch to a walk at 3.5 and then walk for 1.5 minutes and start running. At 5.1.. I did this for 35 minutes. I felt really good, towards the end I was really tired, but I did it,. I figured out I really have to really focus on my breathing. If I don't I breath to fast. I never realized how much running could be a stress released. I hoe I can keep running. I have had 3 knee surgeries, 2 on my left kee and 1 on my right.

I do have a question. When I'm running my bottom part of my foot starts hurting?
    Not experienced at all so this is a newbie answer, but are your shoes bad? The tread on my shoes looked good, but I kept getting pain in the ball of my foot. stuck my hand in and lo and behold, it was all worn down in that area. Got new Nikes and it's like magic
  • PollyWolly98
    Options
    I will stop to walk if I have to, but it is very frustrating for me. In my experience, if I feel the need to stop and walk once during a run, it will happen again and again and overall it will be a disappointing run. However, when I look back at my pace for those runs, I am typically going too fast. I seem to be unable to just slow my running pace to recover, which is something I'm really working on. I do not live in an area with any hills at all, but I would definitely be walking up hills if I had to deal with them. I do not think that stopping to walk and catch your breath makes you any less of a runner. Do what works best for you and keeps you out there running!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I just slow down until I'm doing the "old man shuffle."
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm running I starting thinking about how tired in going to be , then I want to stop. So what can I do so this don't happen. I have music playing.but I just need to figure out something so that I stay more focused.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Stop doubting yourself and worrying about labels, if you run, you are a runner...as the great Penguin says....
    "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."
    - John "The Pengin" Bingham
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Yep - I take short walk breaks on hills sometimes. A little more lately, because I am doing low heart rate training, and trying to keep my HR below 138, so I have to walk a tiny bit right now to keep it down - mainly just going up hills.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Almost never, unless I am trail running & encounter a steep hill
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    “Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.”
    ― Dean Karnazes

That being said... try to keep to a rhythym or pattern and be consistent. When I am doing base training and don't have an event in sight... or when the weather is bad, I do 8 and 1's or 10 and 1's. One of my personal bests for a Half marathon was done doing 10 and 1's as it allows you to better manage your pace and conserve energy for later in the race.

Slowing down is helpful to in the same regard. It prevents you from hitting that anaerobic zone where your body starts consuming glycogen faster. By keeping in the aerobic zone, you consume energy more slowly and have something left in the tank longer.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I run for the most part, but I'll walk if I need to, I also stop when my dog needs to, when the lights aren't in my favour and if I get a cramp. Walking at any point definitely doesn't preclude you from being a runner. If you run, you're a runner, whether you're fast, slow, an interval runner, a long distance runner, a short distance sprinter or a treadmill junkie, however you go, at least you're out there!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I lift hard and trying to excel at both that and running is a b*tch, lol. I think it's ideal to keep up continued endurance, but if you can't, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Your *kitten* is out there running!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I do quite a bit of steep trail running and hill training so I have to take short walk breaks sometimes, but it's not something I ever plan to do. The goal is to NOT have to (my goal, that is). But I know a lot of training plans call for walk / run intervals. AND I read about a guy who took a walk break every mile during a marathon... and still averaged under a 7 minute mile.
  • Daveb1355
    Daveb1355 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love the Jeff Galloway method too. Here is what he lists as some advantages of walk breaks.

Walk breaks:

Give you control over the way you feel
    Erase fatigue
    Allow endorphins to collect during each walk break -- you feel good
    Break up the distance into manageable units ("I can go for two more minutes")
    Speed recovery
    Reduce the chance of aches, pains and injury
    Allow you to feel good afterward--carrying on the rest of your day without debilitating fatigue
    Give you all of the endurance of the distance of each session--without the pain
    Allow older or heavier runners to recover fast, and feel as good or better than the younger (slimmer) days
  • EricaRuns27
    EricaRuns27 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, that's the most important thing. I normally just go straight for it and run. However I just completed my first half marathon and had to walk some. My legs were cramping and I had some blisters. Enjoy your runs, if u need to stop and walk, do it.

Happy running!
  • McCelmer
    McCelmer Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I usually walk at some point during my runs. I LOVE it when I have to stop running and wait at a traffic light or something. I enjoy each short break I can take.
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If I stop I have a hard time starting againg, so I refrain from taking "breaks." What I do however is alternating speeding with jogging, but that's completely different ;) By all means though, walk if you have to: listening to your body is the most important thing to do!