Fitbit or Polar HRM? Please help me decide!!

Options

Replies

• junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I was in your same place 3 months ago - researching FitBit and Polar. I ultimately made my decision to order a Polar FT4 because it can be submerged in water. Also, I found a FitBit to be more of a glorified pedometer - some reviews said it wasn't accurate in group fitness classes or on some cardio machines. Good luck!
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what your goal is. I have both and I use them both. The FitBit will give you your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and will also factor in workouts. However, I find my Polar HRM is more accurate for calculating calories burned during exercise and use it as well. As long as you accurately enter the start time for your workouts (MFP automatically asks you for this when you sync accounts) you can use both. If your budget is only for one, I would start with the FitBit if you want a TOTAL day estimate or the HRM if you want a PER WORKOUT estimate. Wearing a HRM for daily activities will not be accurate.
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbut Ultra and a Polar Bluetooth 2 HRM, previously I have had Scosche MyTrek and Scosche Rhythm HRM.

HRM's will always give a more accurate calorie burn estimation than the Fitbit for a particular exercise session but they can be flaky in use and can be a pain to put on, calibrate and install. The Fitbit clips to your belt all day and you just forget it is there but sometimes the calorie estimates can be very inaccurate. The point of the Fitbit is to motivate you to exercise more by comparison to previous Fitbit readings.

If you want a general motivator you can just fit and forget then the Fitbit is best. If you want an accurate burn estimation for exercises sessions and don't mind the setup time and inevitable problems that all HRM's seem to have then the HRM is for you.

This is a very good explanation.
  • chrissylovescj
    chrissylovescj Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am a gadget junkie (don't judge!) and I have a FitBit, a Polar FT40, and a BodyMedia. Your decision is simply what are you looking for in a device.

The FitBit is a pedometer. It's got a good website/mobile app, you can compare yourself to your friends, etc. But a FitBit doesn't know if you took 10 of the slowest steps of your life or sprinted 10 steps. It is nice that it is small, I just clip it on my bra, and no one else even knows I have it. This Spring they are releasing a FitBit Flex which is a waterproof bracelet.

The Polar is a HRM. Made to be worn just during workouts. I like it because I can wear it during water workouts. But, it only tells you how many calories you burned during that one session.

Finally, the BodyMedia is a pedometer and also tells you calories burned throughout the day and night. You wear it all the time. I love it. But, it is an armband, so when short-sleeve weather comes it will be noticeable and there is a monthly fee.

Again, just decide what information you want, and the choice will be easy after that!

Let me know if you have any other questions. I am no expert, but I use all three regularly!

Good luck!!

This was great info!! Based on this, I may go with the Polar now and get the new fitbit flex when it comes out. I will be doing a lot of swimming when the pools open up this summer.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Polars aren't meant to be worn all day, only during workouts. If you want something to wear all day, go with a FitBit or BodyBugg.

This^^
    I personally have a Polar FT7 and LOVE it!! I only use a HRM for my workouts though.

Totally this. I have Polar FT4
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    as someone else said, they are different. I have a polar hrm and i LOVE it.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I use a polar heart rate watch (A6) at my gym. I does what I need. I have not experimented with a fitbit. Don't know if want to monitor everything just yet.
  • RiversideBabe
    RiversideBabe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love my FT4 Polar HRM!! I feel like I have accomplished something for the day when I log a workout on it. Good luck!
  • artd9312
    artd9312 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have both. I love the Polar HRM - it is one of the best tools I have used in weight loss. I am on my second one.

I liked the Fitbit but it pretty much burned my arm off. No kidding. It's stated in the literature that some people can have a reaction to it, and I don't know if I am the only person in the world that had said reaction, but I did. So I only used it for a week because it was pretty painful. If it weren't for that, I would probably still use it, but I personally find the Polar way more accurate for working-out.

Side note - I have really sensitive skin, so I kind of knew it was likely I would react, so it was basically my own fault. My guess is those of us with sensitive skin have a harder time with it.

Edit - Well, I'm sorry to sound crazy, but it is actually a BodyBugg that I have. Sigh - I kept thinking it was a FitBit!! I'm sorry!
  • hidee89
    hidee89 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it! The only thing that has bothered me with it when I first got it is that sometimes my heart rate wouldn't register. I knew I had wet the electrodes enough, so it was frustrating. Then I did some research online and read that if you wear quick dry clothing when you work out (which I do) the moisture would escape from the HRM strap very quickly and cause it not to register. So I bought some heart rate monitor electrode cream to put on the electrodes and I have never had a problem since!
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you MAY need both, but I would suggest starting with the HRM. You sound much more active than this old codger so you will probably get more out of the HRM.

I have a fitbit but that is only because most of my calories burned are from walking and climbing stairs. It is fun to try to walk more during the day and see the extra burned calories on your diary. I keep it on from the time I get out of bed until I hop back in again. Unless you are a restless sleeper and want to track your poor sleep habits, this is really just a useless perk.

I do not use it when riding. It is not accurate even if you put it in your sock, which I tried for a while.
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've got both and use them in conjunction with one another. I wear the Fitbit 24/7 to track my calories and steps throughout the day. I use my HRM (Polar FT4) only while working out since my workouts are not always step-based and the HRM gives a more accurate calorie count. If you sync your Fitbit on MFP it won'd double count calorie burns from workouts when you plug in the numbers the HRM gives you.

If most of your fitness is running or walking, the Fitbit would suit just fine. Weight lifting or other non-step based exercises are better tracked using the HRM.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit. I was unaware when I bought it that it's pretty much a glorified pedometer. As I do a lot of running, i'm kind of okay with that. it bases its calorie burn off steps taken (I wonder how accurate this really is...)

BUT....I'm totally getting a Polar HRM for my birthday. The fitbit is better for running and walking, but obviously would be totally useless for something where you're not taking steps, like biking.

I haven't used a Polar so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but if I had it to do over again and only had the money for one, I'd get the Polar. I'm kind of okay with having both, too, though! :)

ETA: Fitbit's page is sort of neat, it shows your activity in different graphs, etc. Plus it has a sleep tracker. Which I always forget to use.

Actually it does work when you bike, you just have to use the activity timer
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've had the Fitbit for, probably, about 2 years now. If you're the "one size fits all" type of person, then it's a viable option, but it isn't personalized to you or what you're burning. My fitbit is currently falling apart and held together with duct tape. I clip it to my bra, so the tape tends to poke my boobs and irritate me. My deciding factor at time of purchase was that I could wear it and forget about it because it would be totally comfortable. It's not so comfy anymore.

When I walk the dog, Fitbit thinks It's vigorous activity. We stop at every tree, bird, poop, bug, bush, and shiny object. (My dog is totally ADD.) When I go to the gym and do eliptical, I tend to stop early because my pulse just gets uncomfortably high. Fitbit shows I'm *slightly* active. :( Weightllifting is measured the same as sleep. Oh, and days when I forget to wear it, it says I burn 2500 calories.

I finally just bought the BodyMedia FIT armband. For those that are interested, Costco's website has it for the regular retail price, but it comes with a 12-month subscription to the service instead of just 3 months.

Oh wait, a PRO to the fitbit, for anyone else that's thinking about it: It IS motivating to know that everything you do is being "watched." You're more likely to take the stairs instead of the elevator, or walk to the store on the corner instead of drive. If you're like me and need some kind of visual reward to keep you on track, any kind of tracking device like this one will help to keep you motivated.

Good luck, and happy health hunting! :D
  • Glowbee
    Glowbee Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Polarrrrrrrrrrr!! LOVE mine!
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have both, and I use them for different things.

My fitbit I wear all the time - I do a lot of walking with my commute to work and it's great for crediting me with calories for my 15 minute walk from the train to work and back at the end of the day.

I also do bootcamp and have started Insanity. My fitbit would be useless for both of these. I wear my HRM (Polar FT4) for these to get an idea of the calories I burn.

If you just want to track walking etc, for Fitbit. If you do set exercise daily or a few times a week, go HRM. Keep in mind, the calories it gives you are both an estimate. Neither are perfect.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Polar
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I have both. Get a HRM. It's more accurate for calories burned. Fitbit is fun to have, wear it all day, get a good estimate. But, its kind of an extra to me. If you can only choose one, I'd say go with the HRM.
    On a side note, the FitBit is kinda flimsy. Mine broke within 6 months. Just snapped apart. :(
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I also have both the Fitbit and the Polar FT7 HRM. And I use them pretty much the same way as others described. I do love them both.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have both. Get a HRM. It's more accurate for calories burned. Fitbit is fun to have, wear it all day, get a good estimate. But, its kind of an extra to me. If you can only choose one, I'd say go with the HRM.
    On a side note, the FitBit is kinda flimsy. Mine broke within 6 months. Just snapped apart. :(

Talk to customer service. Mine stopped holding a charge after 11 months and they are sending me a new one...free.