Weighing In - how often?

Options
I'm just curious to know how often everyone weighs in.
I know a lot of people like to weigh in every day, but I find that doing that discourages me.

Replies

• mfrey2012
    mfrey2012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Once a week works best for me!! :smile:
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    once a week, sometimes every two weeks
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Most people weigh in once a week. I'm eating about 100 calories under maintenance so I only weigh once a month. That's about how long it takes me to lose a pound.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Officially, once a week, on Thursday. However, since I am newer at this, this past week I stepped on the scale on Friday and again on Monday. Haven't felt well all week and wanted to see what the results were. I will not enter my weight until Thursday (tomorrow).
  • Lanise_10
    Lanise_10 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I was daily but that frustrates me so I weigh in when I feel smaller. :)
  • bs025518
    Options
    once a week works best for me. a friend of mine recommended weighing on Sundays. it helps keep you on track on the weekends. I am going to try that since i struggle during that time.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Once a week to once a month, depending.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    My official weight in that I log is Friday AM after my shower and before I eat anything. I do weigh daily though...same conditions as Friday mornings as I have an app to track multiple data points and put them into a graph. This helps me see that things are not linear and helps me see the general trend of my weight loss and not worry about the daily, natural fluctuations. I'm a nerd like that though..I like charts and graphs and data.
  • lisaanne1704
    Options
    I weigh every morning, but my target day is Wednesday. I can fluctuate throughout the week but I have to reach my target by Wednesday. I know people say not to weigh every day but for me it helps - I'm too impatient to wait all week for results, and more importantly, if I've done well it puts me in a good mood for the day and encourages me to carry on, and if I've gained then it means I have to try harder that day. It is a bit depressing if I think I've been good but haven't lost anything or have gained, but it also helps me work out the things that are doing harm. If I only weighed once a week I know I'd have a cheat day early on in the week... and then another one... and then another one.... and then would avoid weighing on Target Day because I'd know I wouldn't like what I saw and then start a downward spiral.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. It helps me not to be frustrated with daily fluctuations. Weekly weighing doesn't give me a good enough picture of what's going on. I would consider monthly weighing, but I don't feel weekly would ever be helpful for me.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day in order to be aware of the natural fluctuations of my body. But for weight loss purposes, I weigh once a week, first thing in the a.m.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    I go back and forth with this. My instinct is to want to weigh in every day - after all, I diet and exercise every day so naturally I want to see the results on a daily basis. However, the logical part of my brain kicks in and I remember that no matter how often I exercise or how close I stick to my calorie goal, I'm not going to lose every day and there's going to be the occasional days when I actually gain from water retention, or whatever. So, I do try to discipline myself and weigh in on Fridays now. The payoff seems a lot greater - I love seeing the scale down a pound or two once a week rather than 0.2 on a daily basis.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    In the past I've always weighed once a week, but I found myself obsessing with that number and that day- and - if I happened to be carrying a little extra water in my muscles from working out, or too much salt, etc, it would really upset me to think I'd not lost in a week. I've recently switched to weiging every day- being careful not to get frustrated and discouraged with the normal fluctuations. It also keeps me in check each and every day-

Everyone is different though- for years I swore by once a week- try it both ways for a month and see which feels better for you.
  • dbirty
    dbirty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and then repeat it OCD style two or three times straight afterwards. :-)
  • mcva929
    mcva929 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, but I only log my weight Friday mornings. I'm still at the very beginning of my journey, so weighing daily has helped me see the difference when I've eaten a lot of sodium or worked out hard. When I was weighing once a week, it was harder for me to really appreciate my daily efforts. As I get closer to goal weight, I'll probably switch to once per week.