TDEE Help

Options
I am reading a lot about TDEE and it helping with weightloss/getting in shape... I am not sure what TDEE is. I Googled it and googled trying to figure out my TDEE, and I am afraid what I am finding is incorrect, or at best, lacking in information. Is there anyone who would help explain TDEE to me, and maybe help me figure out MY TDEE?

Replies

• Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure is the amount of calories you burn in total in a day. To lose weight it's recommended by many to cut 20% from your TDEE but how much you cut is dependent on how much you have left to lose. If you only have 5 Ibs to lose a smaller cut would be advised.

I like this calculator to figure it out.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure is the amount of calories you burn in total in a day. To lose weight it's recommended by many to cut 20% from your TDEE.

I like this calculator.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Awesome! Thank you, I am trying it out right now!
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am not looking to lose much more. Just a couple more lbs then I want to maintain at 130 and gain muscle. I think this may start to help me out with that!
  • Carolyn_79
    Options
    If you're only looking to lose a few pounds then do a smaller cut. 20% is a bit high if you only have the last few pounds left to go.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    This looks like something I have to consider myself. I'm very close to the 130 goal and really don't want to go any further. However, I also have Type 2 diabetes AND high blood pressure, which means I must watch both my carbohydrate intake (not supposed to be more than 156g per day) and sodium intake (no more than 1500mg per day). Does the TDEE take that into consideration?

I know I also have to increase my protein intake, but I don't want to have too much protein, and are there other ways to get it besides meats, mushrooms, and less-than-desirable protein bars? I also do not do protein shakes. Flavor for me is disgusting.
  • Carolyn_79
    Options
    This looks like something I have to consider myself. I'm very close to the 130 goal and really don't want to go any further. However, I also have Type 2 diabetes AND high blood pressure, which means I must watch both my carbohydrate intake (not supposed to be more than 156g per day) and sodium intake (no more than 1500mg per day). Does the TDEE take that into consideration?

I know I also have to increase my protein intake, but I don't want to have too much protein, and are there other ways to get it besides meats, mushrooms, and less-than-desirable protein bars? I also do not do protein shakes. Flavor for me is disgusting.

Once you reach your goal then eat at your TDEE. That may take a little bit of experimenting to find out what that is but the online calculators are a good starting point and you can adjust higher or lower as needed. If I were you, I'd custom set my macro levels in MFP to the specific levels you desire so you can keep your diabetes in check.

Other protein sources are greek yogurt, cheese, peanut butter, nuts, milk, soybeans, and eggs. I also make my own homemade protein bars which are delicious. I hate the ones you buy in stores. I don't do protein shakes either but I have discovered that if you mix the protein powder in pudding then you can't even taste it.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Once you reach your goal then eat at your TDEE. That may take a little bit of experimenting to find out what that is but the online calculators are a good starting point and you can adjust higher or lower as needed. If I were you, I'd custom set my macro levels in MFP to the specific levels you desire so you can keep your diabetes in check.

Other protein sources are greek yogurt, cheese, peanut butter, nuts, milk, soybeans, and eggs. I also make my own homemade protein bars which are delicious. I hate the ones you buy in stores. I don't do protein shakes either but I have discovered that if you mix the protein powder in pudding then you can't even taste it.
    Hmm...I like the idea of the homemade protein bars. Where can I find recipes for those?

Also, I LOVE Chobani's Greek yogurt!

I just did recalculating my goals here, and made sure my carb and sodium intake were not changed. Thanks for the tips! This should help me get used to keeping at 130 because I don't want to gain that weight back!
  • sunnysweetpea
    sunnysweetpea Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am reading a lot about TDEE and it helping with weightloss/getting in shape... I am not sure what TDEE is. I Googled it and googled trying to figure out my TDEE, and I am afraid what I am finding is incorrect, or at best, lacking in information. Is there anyone who would help explain TDEE to me, and maybe help me figure out MY TDEE?

I've been reading a lot about this myself. This thread is really good and explains it all http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12