Thai Food HELP!!!!!

Options
HELP!!!!!!!!! The office is taking a coworker out for her birthday today at a Thai Food restaraunt ...... What is safe to eat?????????????????

Replies

• BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Well, assuming the restaurant has a good health inspection rating (I prefer over 95/100) it's probably all "safe" to eat.

As for what's healthy, aim for something with a lot of veggies, no coconut milk, not fried, and watch how much rice you eat with it.
  • Sballard418
    Sballard418 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Well, assuming the restaurant has a good health inspection rating (I prefer over 95/100) it's probably all "safe" to eat.

As for what's healthy, aim for something with a lot of veggies, no coconut milk, not fried, and watch how much rice you eat with it.

:laugh:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I eat all the Thai foodz . . . NOMSSSSSSSS

No? What BamBam said, and ask them to go easy on the oil.
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    Tom Yum is good, or any other broth based soup. As the above poster mentioned, avoid coconut milk and anything fried. No curry. Papaya salad and grilled meats are also safe bets. No Thai Iced Tea or Coffee!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Imagine what you would want on your plate, more likely to eat at home and I am sure you can find similar items on the menu.

Coconut milk and oil is crazy in calories and high in fat/carbs. Rice is good but in smaller doses, you could get away with butter braised or boiled veggies and any meat you could find not in sauce, you could probably find some fish dishes which might be a good option as well. If you can see the menu online then you could try and figure it out before you go :)
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I get tom yum soup usually. Chicken and veggies is a good choice. Stay clear of fried foods, coconut milk curries, and noodles. You should be fine.
  • StephGettinFit
    StephGettinFit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    chicken satay, green papaya salad (can be spicy), tofu salad..
  • Jribeiro86
    Jribeiro86 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yep, tom yum soup. I'd stick with veggies, but if you absolutely HAVE to have a protein in a dish, aim for tofu. :)
  • HeidibooJB
    HeidibooJB Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want. Consider it a treat. Back on track tomorrow. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff; all of your sweating can be done at the gym.:drinker:
  • dzlilo
    dzlilo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thai food is soooo yummy! Do you have any sodium restrictions? Some of the dishes and soups are loaded with salt, fish sauce, soy sauce, etc. (OMG I love salt... I have to watch it though.)

My local Thai place offers a "dieter's special" with a simple, low fat, chicken or scallop stir fry with the sauce on the side and brown rice. I find that if you ask, most places will modify a dish as much as they can for you. I usually get a lunch special with chicken, asparagus, and mushrooms with brown rice. That dish is lightly sauced. We start off with a cucumber salad. The steamed dumplings aren't too bad either if you eat one or two. And just say no to that spring roll!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want. Consider it a treat. Back on track tomorrow. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff; all of your sweating can be done at the gym.:drinker:
    This. Its all reasonably healthy apart from sodium anyway, just get what you want and don't overeat. Last time i had chicken pad Thai (although there's nothing wrong with tofudon't see what's so bad about other protein options) and por pea sod. Nom.
  • futurestarz
    Options
    Yum Nu!!! Some thai restaurants don't have it, but it is delicious and very healthy! It's a thai beef salad with tons of veggies, no noodles or rice, and a cilantro-lime vinaigrette dressing!
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options

I know! This is my take on it too.

If this is something you don't do all the time then I say go for it, eat something you like (preferably not fried) & if you can, ask them to put 1/2 of your portion in a to-go box. :)

Then work it out at the gym...an extra 20 minutes to your usual routine or add an extra workout day.

I am actually participating in "Restaurant Week" in my city and I'm going to dinner a Spanish tapas restaurant this Friday night with some of my girlfriends. I plan on indulging on some good eats and sangria so I've pre-planned to run 4 miles Thursday and do Yoga Sculpt (Power yoga with weights and HIIT) Friday morning! :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I love Thai food! My favorite local place is called Thai One Off. It's great!
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    coconut milk is actually good for you....high sodium will likely be an issue. Order some pad thai w/meat & veggies...skip the rice and ask for extra steamed vegetables.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Order whatever you want, ask for a to-go box, and eat half. Take the other half home and eat it later/for dinner.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    Whatever I want.

If I am getting Thai food then I am not really worrying about it. Nom nom nom!
  • wurzle
    Options
    Try Som Tom Thai or Yum Talay
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I did a simple yellow curry chicken over rice yesterday. Splurged a bit and ate twice as much as I really wanted, but still estimate it was only around 650 calories for the whole plate. I ate a very modeste breakfast and was stuffed all the way to dinner, so only needed some peanut butter and celery to top me off for the day.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    coconut milk is actually good for you....high sodium will likely be an issue. Order some pad thai w/meat & veggies...skip the rice and ask for extra steamed vegetables.
    This. I make a Thai coconut curry at home and I don't think the calories are out of line for the meal. About 300 calories per serving. It's got vegetables in it. A serving of rice and you have a great meal.