Veggie Weekend

Options
My wife & I are not vegetarians ... we tried it once and after three weeks we both needed meat and ran out to the local steak house for the biggest steak we could get :laugh: But we do like to do the occasional meat-free weekend and we're always looking for new dishes to try. What are some of your favorite veggie recipes?

Replies

• Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Grilled Portabella mushrooms with carmelized onions and peppers.
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Shiritaki noodles with your favorite homemade sauce the noodles are very low calorie the entire pack is only 80 calories!
  • Bubble105
    Bubble105 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Vegetable moussaka... Mmmmmmm.
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Vegan tofu spinach lasagna:

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/recipes/vegan-tofu-spinach-lasagna

Also, chili with morning star farms meal starter instead of beef (double the kidney beans, add some diced tomato and green pepper). Makes for great chili dogs if you use tofu pups...
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Soups and chowders (too many different kinds to list them all), stir fries, tacos or fajitas, baked casserole-type things, poached eggs over sauteed greens, a substantial salad (e.g. noodles with peanut dressing & edamame over baby spinach), omelettes, risotto, enchiladas, frittatas, shakshuka, Pad Thai or Thai curries, rice and daal, roasted root vegetables, savory crepes, chili, vegetable-based sautees with perhaps a side of rice or bread... those are all things I've eaten recently that happen to not have meat.

Now, my tastes are probably different than yours (I've never really liked steak, for example) but there's so much variety in vegetarian food that there's bound to be something you love. I think it's wonderful that you and your wife are making an effort to try! Weekends are a great time to experiment with vegetarian cooking because it often involves more prep work with all the chopping of vegetables (though usually it requires less actual cooking time). I'm wondering, what have you tried already that was less than satisfying?
  • TCondor
    Options
    I'm wondering, what have you tried already that was less than satisfying?

Oh it's not that anything was not especially satisfying. I'm just a carnivore at heart but every once in a while I like to take a break from it. I love to cook and am always looking for new recipes to try. I've done vegetarian dishes in the past but wanted to see what others are doing. Your post was excellent because it got me thinking about some of the non-veg dishes I make and how I can adapt them.

And thanx to everyone else who responded. Theres a wealth of groovy ideas here. I'm going to have to start compiling a file of all these great options.
  • doug_pierce
    Options
    I had an Amy's quarter pound veggie burger tonight and was pleasantly surprised.