I need Mexican food!

Options
Does anyone have any quick, easy, low-cal Mexican recipes I can try out with my kids? I am having a Mexican craving something fierce and fighting every urge to hit up the taco shop!

Replies

• lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=51354

I add corn and black beans a couple hours before serving. I serve on whole wheat tortillas or just eat plain! Very good!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    If you make some fajitas at home they are usually pretty healthy for you! Just don't add a bunch of sauces. Mrs. Dash makes lots of different seasonings that have no sodium in them. Or are you looking for nachos or enchalidas or such?
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You could make your own version of the taco bell fresco tacos.... cube some grilled chicken and put it in a soft taco shell... top with lettuce, fresh salsa, black beans, and corn...

Or, you could always go for the delicious chicken fajita... brown chicken strips with a little oil, cumin and chili powder. add in a little water, strips of peppers, and onion rings... cook until veggies are soft and chicken is cooked. Serve with fresh salsa.

Dunno, does that help??
  • TheMotherAwesome
    TheMotherAwesome Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If you make some fajitas at home they are usually pretty healthy for you! Just don't add a bunch of sauces. Mrs. Dash makes lots of different seasonings that have no sodium in them. Or are you looking for nachos or enchalidas or such?

The very word "enchilada" makes my hands shake. :P
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    re-fried bean burritos, buy a can of organic re-fried beans, add onions salsa, lettuce, and wrap it in a whole wheat tortilla.
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Browned ground turkey with Lawrys Taco Seasoning (you'll never notice the difference), whole wheat tortillas, tomatoes, lettuce, etc., fat free sour cream (but use Fat Free Sour Cream by Naturally Yours it's the only one that's any good), some Sargento reduced fat shredded chedder (Sargento is the only brand I've found that actually melts) and have a good ole taco/burrito night.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    You can try fish or shrimp tacos. (But don't use those seasoning packets - too much soduim)
    I do fish or shrimp - let that sit in a bit of olive oil, garlic, lime juice, cumin, s & p, chili powder, or that mix packet if you really need to use it. Cook until done.
    Then I take about 1/4 head of red cabbage and slice it real thin, toss with lime juice little salt and let sit for about an hour.
    Fresh salsa from the salad bar.
    Low fat tortillas
    some low fat cheese
    I mix some FF sour cream with cilantro and lime juice
    Yeah, I like lime......
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    OOOH! OOOOH! I HAVE 2 MEXICAN(ISH) HEALTHY RECIPES ON MY BLOG!
  • crlujan
    crlujan Posts: 59
    Options
    Grill up some chicken with 1/3 of one of those packets of seasoning. Mix some coleslaw mix (plain - no mayo or any of that stuff) with a tablespoon of low-fat Ranch dressing and some cut up jalapenos and sliced radishes. Throw it all in a corn tortilla. Add some of that green salsa stuff. Yummy.
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Chicken enchilada casserole

1/2 cooked rotisserie chicken (like you get from pick n save)
    2 cans healthy tomato soup
    1 jar (16 oz) medium or hot chunky salsa
    16 corn tortillas
    2 c. shredded cheeses (I use the mexican kind)

Pick the chicken off the bones & place in a large bowl. Cut the tortillas into 1 inch pieces & add to the bowl. Add in the whole jar of salsa, both cans of tomato soup & 1 c. of the cheese. Stir until all pieces of the tortilla are coated & ingredients are mixed thoroughly. Place in a casserole dish, top with the rest of the cheese & bake uncovered for 20 mins or until cheese is melted.

It's only about 270 cals per 1/8th of the recipe (A big piece). The exact nutrition info is already listed under the food finder under Amy's chicken enchilada casserole.

ENJOY:tongue:
  • lknorthstar
    lknorthstar Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Oh man! I needed some Mexican too the other night! Man was it good! I didn't do anything different to make it healthy other then added light sour cream instead of regular and I drained and rinsed the beef but I always do that! I just made sure I didn't pig out!

Good luck, sounds like a lot of good healthy ideas!
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    salad in a bowl topped w/ 1/3c taco meat, salsa, a crushed up taco shell, and low-cal ranch (or sour cream), Yum!
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Creamy-Chicken-and-Sour-Cream-Enchiladas/Detail.aspx
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cheese-and-Beef-Enchiladas/Detail.aspx

If you substitute fat free sour cream and cheese for the regular stuff, you might have enough calories for some rice too.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    The other night I made turkey tacos with whole wheat tortilla's and mexican rice. Not too shabby and totally got my "mexican food" fix in.
  • divandisguise
    divandisguise Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i sometimes make taco salads. lettuce with turkey chili, crushed chips, lite sour cream , and low fat cheese sprinkled on top. this is really good. you could put whatever your favorite toppings are. since turkey chili is from can, has high sodium but for a once in a while fix, this is not bad and tastes great. my kids like this too.
  • KAskinny
    KAskinny Posts: 50
    Options
    Bump man! I LOVE Mexican food!
    I've got some good ones I can share too when I get home! :flowerforyou:
  • rwaltjen
    rwaltjen Posts: 5
    Options
    Have you tried the Weight Watchers taco soup recipe ??
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    I take chicken breasts or strips, put them in a small pyrex, and cover with my favorite spicy salsa and bake at 350. Then roast or grill some veggies like squash, peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc. with garlic, jalapeno, and lime, and have it all over quinoa with a little plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    I was going to chime in on the "create your own Fresco taco" thing but I see someone beat me to it.