Struggling w/ calories

Options
So after a previous discussion, I decided to increase my intake to 1700 calories. Seems to be effective so far. However, I've found that I'm not hungry enough to eat that many calories. So I find myself with 1000 calories left for dinner, and that encourages me to eat things I should. A few examples of foods I've had the past few days include stuffed crust pizza and Oreo dirt pudding. I know those aren't good for me, but I find myself thinking that if I have the calories I should enjoy myself.

What do you think? Is it better to not eat enough calories, or to eat less than healthy foods? One last note - I DON'T eat back my exercise calories.

Replies

• envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If you have the calories for it, eat all the things!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Why shouldn't you be eating those things? Do you have some medical condition that omits pizza and pudding?
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever falls into your calorie allowance, just so you are hitting your macros pretty close. Getting proper nutrition is important too.
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think it is better to eat those calories because it will help increase your appetite throughout the day.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Why would you increase your calories if you can't eat those calories?
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYi9xjIRvbY
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have a completely different take on this...

If you want to have dirt pie, then you should have a small portion of it. But if the reason you are eating it is solely because it is there and you have the calories for it then you are setting yourself up for failure. Unhealthy eating habits is what got most of us on this site in the first place. The point of doing this, i would think, is to change those unhealthy eating habits.

Whatever the reason you have for increasing your caloric intake, just take the baby steps. I have enough trouble eating 1200 a day, much less thinking about 1700. I plan my day out every morning to meet or exceed that 1200 calorie goal and try my best to stick to it. I think you should do the same. Some people plan for the week, but I just can't look ahead that far, not with a teenager in the house (he often eats my planned lunch or dinner without my knowledge! LOL) I eat a lot and i'm so full by the end of the day that I couldn't even think of having junk even if I have calories left over.

Baby steps.. thats the way to effect real change right?
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If you have room for it then enjoy it! I had to bump up my calories too and it helps me not give up! I think you are doing just fine.
  • EKN1417
    EKN1417 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Eating those things is NOT going to hinder your weight loss process unless they are outside your calroies or macros (even outside your macros is OK as long as your meeting your most important goals- which you determine.)

For health reasons, you may not want to do this every day. It depends on what your primary goal is right now.

If you want to eat healthier things WHILE losing weight (your choice- not here to judge :) ), try to eat more calorie dense food. Peanut Butter, Avocados, Olive Oil, full fat dairy products, etc, are all your friends right now. That way you can eat the same amount but take in more calories. Proein smoothies are another great way to add more calories and meet your marcros without feeling like you are eating as much. It's easy for me to add an extra protein +fruit smoothie somehwere into my day if I need to.

Hope that helps!
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you have the calories, eat, especially if you are losing weight. Also, try to eat through out the day. Having 5 or 6 small meals has helped me stay closer to my allotted calories and not indulge as much in unhealthy items. I am by no means an expert but this has really helped me.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have found for me that if I'm going to have this "lifestyle change" I'm still going to have to eat the foods I really enjoy, just less of them. Yes, still eat the healthy stuff too, but there is no way I'm going to be able to not allow myself to have any type of junk food ever, I try to cut it some, but if I want that and have the calories to eat it, then I do so. So if you still have the extra calories don't worry about it, just stay within your calorie limit and you will be fine
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options

TDEE - 20%
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I suppose I'll try to eat more throughout the day, and look for higher calorie healthier foods (such as avocado). I know it's better to eat more meals throughout the day, but I don't have time to do that. At the same time, I've been doing better about cooking meals like breakfast beforehand and planning for more calories throughout the day.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    There's no problem eating those foods if you're within your caloric requirement. On a regular basis though, try to have more nutrient dense foodsto bump up your calories. Even if you're not starving, adding a snack of a few nuts, a fiber bar, peanut butter, avocado, or a shake will do the job. They are also wonderful for pre-post workouts and can help boost your metabolism.
  • PennStan
    PennStan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm often in the same position - lots of calories left available at the end of the day (I try to eat my exercise calories). My plan is 1700 calories per day, but after exercise I'm often left with 1500+. I have a decent breakfast and lunch (400-500 calories combined). I keep telling myself to eat more at those meals, but I'm not that hungry. Plus I sayto myself that I could save the calories for dinner and have a treat, which I seldom end up doing. I've resigned myself to watching how I feel daily and looking at the average daily calories at the end of the week. for the past 4 weeks since I've been counting, I average 1500 calories per day.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    From one foodie to another: Food is great, take the smaller portion approach but don't restrict yourself, and eat your cals to the point where you feel good and save the others.. Don't be greedy! If you are comfortable with your lifestyle change will come. If you suffer, you will not or you will eventually regress..