Almost 900 cals left, but almost no sodium. Help!

Options
I think my diary is public, so you can see for yourself.

I know i need to avoid processed foods to keep my sodium low. I only just recently started giving a crap about my sodium intake tho, so it's somewhat of a secondary goal besides my calories and my other macros.

What do i do? i know i need to eat more calories (and that i will be hungry) but i don't have any sodium left! what has calories but not much sodium?

Replies

• starvinkevin
    Options
    veegetables/fruits
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Well... You decided to eat JITB chicken nuggets & use up 1/2 your sodium for just that alone, so just man up & face the fact since you did that, you're likely going to go over your sodium for the day.
    My daily sodium intake is usually less than 1,500mg so it's not something I worry about, but I also don't eat fast food, or TV/ microwave dinners, or prepped canned food - all of which usually contain a lot of sodium.
    Otherwise, lots of veggies & fruits are the way to go for the rest of your day.
    If you're concerned about your sodium one day, avoid fast food. If you're not going to worry about it one day, then it's fine. But for the most part they go hand & hand so you can't really do both.
  • allknowingtomato
    allknowingtomato Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    spamantha57, I WAS manning up, by trying to figure out what to eat for the rest of the day. Like I said, i know i need to avoid processed food. This was less about "oh no, what food has a lot of sodium that i already ate (effing duh!) and more about "how do i fit 800 more calories into my diary without destroying my sodium intake for the day"

I know I took in too much sodium by eating processed foods. You sound like you have a very low-stress, easy-to-predict life to never, ever have to eat processed foods.

I typically keep f/v/p in my office fridge. i ate what was left yesterday (the strawberries and the celery) and found out my protein had been stolen (work fridges, grrr)! There is a JITB, but not a grocery store that i can reach on my lunch break. so i did what i could.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think my diary is public, so you can see for yourself.

I know i need to avoid processed foods to keep my sodium low. I only just recently started giving a crap about my sodium intake tho, so it's somewhat of a secondary goal besides my calories and my other macros.

What do i do? i know i need to eat more calories (and that i will be hungry) but i don't have any sodium left! what has calories but not much sodium?

Don't stress sodium that much. Worry more about giving your body nutrition. Yea, you may see a little water retention but it equals out. Calories > sodium. I would eat some steak or some higher calorie meat. Could cook it in EVOO and add some fruit and veggies on the side.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    I think you should take it easy and eat what you'd normally eat for dinner but be mindful of your choices, due to the sodium levels you've already taken in. I don't think going over for one day is going to do you in. It's great to watch the sodium but none of us would be here if we'd always been perfect in our food choices. Don't worry about it - get through today and move on. Tomorrow you'll be more careful and do better. The end!
  • onsugarhill
    onsugarhill Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I just started watching sodium myself, right after I cooked a pot of soup to eat for dinner all week that has over half of my sodium for the day in one serving. :o)

I second everyone else's suggestions about fruits and vegetables. Something else you might want to have is unsalted nuts - fiber, protein, and good fat without too many carbs and no sodium.
  • FitnessGal1983
    Options
    Veggies and proteins you cook yourself without adding salt (eggs, chicken, beef, pork tenderloin -- zero fat too!) Maybe keep some protein shakes on hand?
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress about it. If you normally are lower on sodium, one day being higher isn't going to kill you. Just accept the fact that one day is higher. The point of eating healthier isn't about being perfect but about making better choices.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Some days you go lower than normal, some days higher - it all balances out in the end.