I just wanted to say thank you...

Options
TheFinalThird
TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
I was finishing up my business at the doctor's office after some routine lab work. As I extended my credit card to the receptionist to cover the deductible, I saw him standing in the hallway. He did not look particularly familiar. I zoomed in on the name on his crisp white lab jacket. Instantly, tears came to my eyes. I knew it was him. I took three steps toward him, extended my hand to shake his, and said, my name is ___ ______. A third of a century ago, you performed quintuple bypass surgery on my father and saved his life. You gave him eighteen quality years that he would not otherwise have had. I just wanted to say, "thank you for giving me back my dad for all those years."

He said, "oh yes... his name was ______ and he was from New York. Of course I remember him. Eighteen years? That is very good. The grafts in that particular surgery had an expected life of 12-15 years at that time. I'm glad I could help."

I walked out of the office with tears in my eyes. It felt good to say "thank you." I hope it felt good for him to hear it.

Replies

• cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    That's really nice. I'm sure he appreciated it, and I'm glad you got a chance to thank him.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Aww :flowerforyou: What a beautiful story.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I was finishing up my business at the doctor's office after some routine lab work. As I extended my credit card to the receptionist to cover the deductible, I saw him standing in the hallway. He did not look particularly familiar. I zoomed in on the name on his crisp white lab jacket. Instantly, tears came to my eyes. I knew it was him. I took three steps toward him, extended my hand to shake his, and said, my name is ___ ______. A third of a century ago, you performed quintuple bypass surgery on my father and saved his life. You gave him eighteen quality years that he would not otherwise have had. I just wanted to say, "thank you for giving me back my dad for all those years."

He said, "oh yes... his name was ______ and he was from New York. Of course I remember him. Eighteen years? That is very good. The grafts in that particular surgery had an expected life of 12-15 years at that time. I'm glad I could help."

I walked out of the office with tears in my eyes. It felt good to say "thank you." I hope it felt good for him to hear it.

The best part is he remembered him....THAT'S the sign of a good, caring compassionate doctor.

You are so lucky you had this moment. I would love to have that with a few choice doctors in my life.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Very special :)
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    I know it did! Glad you were able to do that!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I like this.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Very cool. Reminds us we need to be grateful for what we have.
  • cecyvaquero
    cecyvaquero Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    That is a beautiful moment.
  • osteveishii
    Options
    totally awesome.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I just cried reading that. And now I have chills up and down my arms and legs.

I'm sure he did appreciate it and it was VERY good of you to thank him. :flowerforyou:
  • mcshoelovin22
    mcshoelovin22 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    That's awesome
  • Sekxy49
    Sekxy49 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Best post I've seen all day!! Comforting to know you had the chance to thank someone that impacted so many lives years ago. Not many of us get that opportunity! Enjoy the rest of your day!
  • juliasnewlife
    juliasnewlife Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wow! It is not often we are given the opportunity to thank someone who has impacted our lives in a such a way. It is great that you took the time to do so!
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Wow! Goose bumps, how great, love this. :sad:
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Great story, thank you for sharing :smile:
  • kelfer80
    kelfer80 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Very toughing! Thank's for sharing!
  • b14a3w3
    b14a3w3 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Glad you got the chance and glad he remembered your father. Thanks for sharing.