front and back squats same workout?

I'm wondering if any of you do front and back squats in the same workout? is this a good idea?

Replies

• Zeyhn
    Zeyhn Posts: 4
    Sure you can, if you divide up your workouts in different bodyparts you can do them both on the "leg" day. As long as you aren't too tired after one or the other you do the other squat in the same workout. Just listen to your body so you do not overtrain. :)
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    When I'm going for Hypertrophy and not Power yes, I do. I warm up doing back sqats first, then I do my "at weight" back squats first, then my "at weight" front squats.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Yep
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    I've used them as an assistance lift for back squats in the same workout. It's not something you are going as heavy as a back squat with, you are using the same squat motion, so it's all good.
  • I like to do front squats on deadlift day.
  • goexpos
    goexpos Posts: 27 Member
    I've used them as an assistance lift for back squats in the same workout. It's not something you are going as heavy as a back squat with, you are using the same squat motion, so it's all good.

this is what I was thinking. Another fellow at the gym I go to does the DL and front squat combination, but he said the reason he didnt do the back squat was because he had hurt his back.

As mentioned above I'll listen to my body - and not go heavy on the front squat (I definitely will be limited by my upper body strength on that one!)

thanks!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    front squat is technique as much as anything- finding that sweet spot where you rest the bar, you don't really have to hold it per se, just use your fingertips to keep it from rolling . It should sit on your delts.

Another good one is overhead squats. Talk about humbling, because you will have to drop way down on the weight. Hold the bar over your head like you just pressed it and then squat. Killer for working your abs and stablilizer muscles.
  • goexpos
    goexpos Posts: 27 Member
    front squat is technique as much as anything- finding that sweet spot where you rest the bar, you don't really have to hold it per se, just use your fingertips to keep it from rolling . It should sit on your delts.

Another good one is overhead squats. Talk about humbling, because you will have to drop way down on the weight. Hold the bar over your head like you just pressed it and then squat. Killer for working your abs and stablilizer muscles.

thats a good point ... I'll practice my form with just the bar as its a new move for me. and I've never seen the overhead squat. will youtube that one.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    If you're front squatting properly (even zurcher's, though to a lesser extent), your back should give out before your legs do. It's a good exercise, but different from the back squat.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    I do, I add front squats in for my accessory hypertrophy work either on my squat or deadlift day.