Broken Toe

Options
I started my new commitment to losing weight and getting in shape at the start of Jan. It wasn't a new years resolution because I always fail at those. I have been really motivated this time around. Going to the gym 3-4 times per week, working with a trainer and tracking what I eat. Then yesterday I broke my toe. It is going to take 3-4 weeks to heal and I can't do the treadmill I love so much. I can do the upper body work out but I just don't find that as satisfying upping my incline and walking faster.

Saddest little toe in the world :(

Replies

• bodicegoddess
    bodicegoddess Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    D:
    So sad for you - you have no idea! You're doing so well, too! I'm jealous when I log on and it's like, "spent 45 minutes on the treadmill and burned a bajillion calories." I feel unaccomplished in my sedentary lifestyle.
    Is there maybe a podcast or something you can listen to while you do upper body work to keep you motivated?
    Have you thought about swimming? That's how I recovered from when I broke my leg.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Which toe is it? I broke my "ring" toe-I guess you could call it- on this past New Year's Eve... And I'm still lifting on it. Calf raises and all. I talked to a trainer, he said to try buddy taping it.... it's where you use medical tape and (loosely-don't cut off circulation) tape it to the toe next to it to create a splint since doc's can't really cast a toe.... It's helped me get this far. I've even up-ed my squats and calf raises since I've broken it.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Can you do a bike or elliptical if the toe is wrapped?
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Can you do a bike or elliptical if the toe is wrapped?

I have no cardio in the program I'm doing now, purely lifting. You could always try and see if it hurts.

But I do use the elliptical for a 5 min warm up before lifting and it hurts less on that than it does walking. So I suppose it may be better than a treadmill since you aren't lifting your foot all of the way.
  • duchess_natas
    duchess_natas Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I broke my toe recently as well. Decided that kicking the foot rest was a good idea one night. Kicked that darn thing so hard, the rest of the family heard the crunch when it broke. And I didn't just break the toe, I broke that bone in my foot right behind the tow.

I focused on my upper body. My core, back and arms took on what my lower body couldn't do. The toe is still healing fully, but I wasn't off on the lower body for more than 2 weeks. I started back on my C25K. But jumping jacks & lunges took the longest to get back to.

Stay focused and don't got backwards. You've come too far to go back now. Think of it this way: Make this set-back a COME-BACK!

Hope all works out for you.