Run/Walk tracking apps and pedometers

Options
Timshel_
Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
I've tried tons of apps and technology over the years and have been using the MotoActv unit since it came out. I like it, but recently I download (yet another) mileage tracking app that I am really liking. It is Moves for the iPhone. Give it a try if you can.

http://www.moves-app.com/

Things I like are:
- all day tracking of activity.
- Doesn't kill my baterry
- simple interface

Things it lacks that keep me using my MotoActv:
- No export, upload or sync of data

I contact MFP to ask them to partner with Moves, and contacted Moves as well to let them know there was interest in Moves sync'ing with MFP.

What other apps or technology do you use for fitness tracking?

Replies

• rborkows
    Options
    http://www.movescount.com/

I use it with a Suunto Ambit.
  • bikingpanda
    bikingpanda Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will have to try this out. :o)
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am in limbo between a few different systems.

I use a fitbit to track my daily steps.
    I use Nike+ to track my power walks.
    I just started going to Spin classes and was going to try using Endomondo to track that.
    I have an older Polar HRM chest strap that connects to the cycle computer on the spin bike, but it doesn't feed into my iphone at all. Looking at getting a blue tooth HRM to feed into Endomondo.
    Then I was going to have them all feed into MFP.

Someday I'm going to streamline everything and figure out what I want to track and where I want to track it.
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try that out! thanks :)
  • Timshel_
    Options
    I use a fitbit to track my daily steps.

I just saw this and thinking about this for my wife. She doesn't dig into stats like me. She just needs distance for her marathon training. Very simple unit from what I have heard.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Someday I'm going to streamline everything and figure out what I want to track and where I want to track it.

Gah, ain't it the truth! Then again, I am a gadget guy so who knows when the madness will end.
  • walkerr1968
    Options
    I use Runtastic for iphone and I LOVE IT. I use it for my power walks and runs. Also when I exercise. The really nice part is that it uploads to MFP automatically. To count my steps throughout the day, I use a clip on pedometer called Omron.

You'll have to check out www.runtastic.com. Its awesome and very easy. Your wife might like it also.
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    another one for runtastic here, i use it to track runs and walks andit mostly feeds nicely into mfp. I also use rundouble which is a c25k trainer which doesnt play nice with runtastic.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    I was looking at Runtastic as well since it was on the approved MFP list for sync. Does it cost anything?
  • shellbo6901
    Options
    I've been using striiv since I saw it here but I am looking for a better free app that I could us instead that maps and could be using for running and cycling(nothing fancy needed), I just put moves on, but think I'm gonna keep striiv for now since I have it synced with MFP, any options? And still for free and nothing needed but the phone itself
  • mklassy123
    Options
    I wasn't using any apps, but as of a minute ago I downloaded Moves and now I'm downloading Runtastic - THANKS!
  • mmgavitt
    mmgavitt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my arm band from body media! The new link one with sync with your phone and chest strap and you can connect it with many other websites too. For example it's how I earn my exercise on myfitnesspal. I like the food logging ability of myfitnesspal much better so that data is imported into my body media account.

It also tracks:
    steps, calories burned, intensity or your work out, sleep vs lying down and shows your calorie deficit.

I absolutely love using body media and myfitnesspal together. It has made the world of difference.

And.... They are coming out with a new arm band this year that will have a built in heart rate monitor so no chest strap. I don't have the bluetooth or heart strap with mine since it's so old but I will definitely be buying the new one when it comes out.