Does Weight loss and Hair loss go hand in hand?

Options
I started dieting using my fitnesspal and working out since december, I have lost a total of 16 pounds in 2 months, about 2 weeks ago I went to my salon to get a hair cut and she said... wow Your hair has thinned out a lot, I have never seen it like this. I have always have had really really thick hair to the point where you dont even see through to the scalp.

This morning when I was putting on gel I noticed a bald spot in the back of my head...

What is going on? Can I add anything to slow down this process? Biotin? Vitamin B12?
Will the hair ever grow back, is this temp or perm?

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound good!!
    I've lost 40lbs and I don't think I've lost any more hair than normal..
    I don't know if it's the norm, but I think I'd stop in to see the doctor
  • BlairDCIX
    BlairDCIX Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    weight loss and hair loss should not go together. In fact most people report stronger, healthier hair the more balanced their diet is. I would suggest looking into a multi-vitiam that has biton, b-12, MSM, a folic acid. You could pick up some prenatal vitiams. This boost should help you have enough vitmains for your hair and nails.

You may also want to consider some enviormental factors. Hair sheds more in winter. Your product usage ( drying shampoo) may be leading to breakage or scalp issues that have lead the increased shedding, etc. Happy hair growing!
  • vopat45
    vopat45 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your guys response, I feel like it is not normal and I am kind of scared.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound good. I have a friend who had gastric surgery and she is losing hair because she isn't getting enough protein. Just normal diet change and exercise would not cause hair loss if you are eating correctly.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating daily? I took a peek at your diary, you're set to 1900 cals, but nothing's logged. Could you not be eating enough? I agree with upping the protein too!
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    weight loss and hair loss only go together when you get to extremely low points in body fat - its a sign of anorexia sometimes called down/luongo (i probably butchered the spelling on that) hair - so I doubt thats what you have

hair changes are also sometimes associated with thyroid dysfunction and extreme B vitamin deficiencies - but people think you can deplete B vitamins acutely in a few weeks of dieting but in all reality it takes years to develop a true B12 deficiency

I would suggest getting blood work done and checking your thyroid levels
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I lost my hair when I was eating under my BMR. As soon as I stopped doing that, my hair stopped falling out. It's back to normal now (and I'm still losing weight).
  • vopat45
    vopat45 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ill be truthful, I stopped logging because I was eating way under my Cal goal for a while and I figured since I was not eating over my calorie goal of 1900 I dont have to log it... Some days ill eat 1300 Calories a day and some days Ill eat 1000 calories.
  • curejenn
    curejenn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure you are getting enough calories and that out of those calories a sufficient amount are coming from protein and healthy fats.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    its never happened to me and I lost 60 pounds after pregnancy. However, I take a Super B and a Prenatal vitamin everyday
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Keep a close eye on the amount of hair loss you are experiencing. If it continues to get worse, you should see a doctor ASAP. It could be something unrelated to your diet like Alopecia.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    A few things that can cause hair loss are stress, hormonal problems, low calorie, nutrient deficiencies. And one that people did not mention is Anemia or even just a lower iron level (for someone that is extremely active, such as an athlete). You should see your doctor and also have your blood tested. B vitamins, protein, iron and silica gel could all help hair re-growth. But, it's usually best not to take iron without getting your blood tested first.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I would go see a doctor BEFORE it gets worse. It sounds like you probably have some sort of nutritional deficiency that might be going on to cause that. Maybe the doc can take a panel and see where you are deficient. I;'ve also heard hair loss is sometimes caused by stress so something to consider as well.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and hair loss can DEFINITELY go hand in hand.....It usually means your nutrition and vitamins are out of sync. The Good news is...it is totally reversible. As soon as you get back in sync the hair comes back. Everyone who wants to lose weight and changes their nutrition plan should be taking a good multivitamin. This is usually the #1 cause. #2 cause is your nutrition plan is not set up correctly. Set your goal to lose only 1 lb/week if it isn't already.....log everything exercise and nutrition. Eat all of your calories for the day. don't think if you have 100 calories left at 11pm that its OK...its not.. eat a banana or apple...something close to whats leftover. Eat the calories you burn during a workout. Anyone who has been sedentary and has not had a full physical in 5 years and plans on losing weight should have one done. Get a full blood workup and all the fun touchy feelly stuff that comes along with a phsyical. We wish you all the best in acheiving your goals.

google -- weight loss and hair loss --- you'll get a ton of info that might also be helpful as well
  • mrshoneydew
    Options
    I've been going through this, too.
    It seems like it started to happen around the time I got my new job in October. At my job, I stand and run around a kitchen for 8 hours, I don't get any breaks (1 bathroom break maybe) and while I get free lunch....I'm lucky if I get time to eat it.
    I try to have a good breakfast (grains, greek yogurt, peanut butter, almond milk, stuff like that), a protein smoothie, a good dinner, but my diet has become more irregular since I started this job.
    And since then, I have lost weight....and hair. You can see my scalp when I pull my hair back. If I lightly run my fingers through my hair, a bunch of strands come out. I'm not sure what I'm missing exactly, and while I'm not pregnant, I'm considering taking Prenatal vitamins. It has all the good stuff we need.

It's a really frustrating thing.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Just to let you know, this thread is 6 years old and the OP last posted in 2016. ☺
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Undereating for a long time has been known to cause hair loss. 8 lbs a month loss is quite a bit. See above.