Protein packed snack ideas, other than nut products

Options
Hi! I am looking to pick the collective brain of MFP for some healthy snack ideas. I have a tree nut allergy (I *can* eat peanuts and cashews) so many of the non-meat, non-dairy protein ideas are not available for me.

I feel like I already get enough animal protein in my diet and I would eat cheese all day if you let me -- LOL.

Any other ideas? Thanks so much!

Replies

• HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt all the way.

Maybe some of the Fiber One protein bars if they don't have any of your allergens?

I love cheese too. Not scared of the fat but these days I'm starting to fear sodium.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Beans are usually a good choice, protein and fiber, and usually low in fat.

Hard boiled eggs are another good protein filled snack idea if you have room for the fat.
  • RYFBAR
    RYFBAR Posts: 45
    Options
    Beans! You can mix em with rice, make homemade chili, put em on salad, add to a veggie wrap, all sorts of stuff. I have a bunch soaking now for crockpot tonight
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Dry-roasted edamame! :love:
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Quinoa
    Beef Jerky (watch the sodium though)
    Protein Shakes
    Soy-based products (some have higher sugar though)
    Egg Whites
    Whole eggs
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are a good source of protein, fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.

Mix about 3 ounces of milk with 3 tablespoons of chia seeds, 1/2 teaspoon sugar (or whatever sweetener you desire) and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and you've got yourself a chia seed pudding. (You need to initially mix it, and then let it sit a few minutes and then stir again. It takes several minutes for the seeds to begin gelling.)

Edited to add nutrition information:

Using 3 ounces of non-fat milk and Bob's Red Mill chia seeds, the breakdown is: 222 calories, 22g carbohydrate, 14g fat, 13g protein and 15g fiber.

You can substitute any other liquid (water, juice, almond milk, etc.) for the milk to devise your own chia seed pudding, sans animal protein.

P.S. I also recommend cottage cheese as a protein packed snack (as you can tell from my profile picture). But, I suppose that is animal protein. Oh well.
  • cjgillespie
    cjgillespie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese. oatmeal. beans.
  • mmc23
    mmc23 Posts: 42
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! :). I love Greek yogurt -- have been trying to learn to like cottage cheese but it's an uphill battle ;). I appreciate the suggestions.
  • 6Petite
    6Petite Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you like Yogurt, Key Lime Pie, and Cheesecake, I highly recommend Yoplait Greek 100 calorie Key Lime yogurt. ... 13g protein.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    hummus