Stress Eating...help!

Options
I'm a high school English teacher. Currently I'm grading 83 research papers (which takes about 27 hours worth of time) and I'm being bombarded with meetings this last month of instruction and people keep bringing donuts, cakes, etc. to work. I'm a stress eater....and it's SO HARD to avoid it all right now! My major sweet tooth doesn't help matters.

Replies

• FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Walk into those meetings with gum in your mouth and a large mug of water. Keep carrots, celery and crunchy veges handy for snacking. I am a teacher too. I can soooooooooooo relate. I am finishing up grading right now and have 2 more classes to submit grades for. I am carving out time for me this evening to do my workout. I deserve it and you do too! :flowerforyou:
  • bunnigun
    bunnigun Posts: 12
    Options
    Nuts and dried fruit will help curb the sweet tooth cravings and give you the energy needed to finish those papers. The cake and donuts will lead to a sugar crash and slow you down. You can do it!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm in college and here's an idea. Don't make the papers so long, make them 1 -2 pages easier on both student and teacher. I know I have 5 to write 1 in English, 2 in one of may art history class and 3 in my other art history class. Not including my finals in all 4 of my classes. I believe its stressful all the way around. Good Luck to you. Maybe trail mix?
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    Hi I'm in college and here's an idea. Don't make the papers so long, make them 1 -2 pages easier on both student and teacher. I know I have 5 to write 1 in English, 2 in one of may art history class and 3 in my other art history class. Not including my finals in all 4 of my classes. I believe its stressful all the way around. Good Luck to you. Maybe trail mix?

We need a bow down smiley!
  • tkrall
    tkrall Posts: 109
    Options
    GUM!! I love chocolate and anything sweet. I've been chewing ORBIT or any sugar free gum. This helps me out a lot! This way you won't be tempted to eat the sweets because you already have gum! For me, it's kind of a stress reliever to! But that's just me! Good Luck!!
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Remember taste is 70 percent smell. For me, if I just smell the sweet food, it is as good as eating it.
    Chewing gum and drinking water mixed with Crystal Light might help. :smile:
  • aclarem
    aclarem Posts: 12
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree (I'm a middle school social studies teacher). I echo earlier posts: keep drinking water (although not while you're teaching, but while grading or during meetings would be good), and chew gum or suck on peppermints. I also find that listening to music while grading helps.... odd but true.

Good luck! I taught AP US History for two years so can relate!
  • katiri732
    katiri732 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    and as far as the sweet tooth get some sugar free candy. You can do this!