Having trouble with the binging!

Options
Okay so lately when i start dieting i start off very well. I'll wake up and eat healthy till about the afternoon. Then i find myself craving all these bad foods. After i eat them i feel horrible! Is there anyway i can prevent this binging?

Replies

• lesterj64
    Options
    I'm having a problem with that also Courtney.
    Maybe someone can help both of us?

Les:smile:
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is all I ever write but it sounds like you need more protein and more often. Try eating protein every three hours. My breakfast always includes either one egg and one egg white with 1/4 cup oats or three egg whites w/oats. A few hours after that I have protein shake. Lunch is fish with veggies mid afternoon almonds or lowfat cottage cheese with fresh berries etc. It has been 2 1/2 weeks and I have no late afternoon or evening cravings and I am gaining muscle and losing weight.
  • thintor
    Options
    Can you figure out why you are bingeing? Does it happen only at certain times, after specific events,
    with certain situations, in specific places? Many of us use bingeing as a response to something happening in our life that we just don't know how to handle. If we can figure out a different way of dealing with a situation, we won't need to binge. This may sound simple, but it really can take quite a bit of work both to understand the reasons behind bingeing and to then substitute another behavior.
    For example, if you find that you are bingeing because you are stressed out, try mediating for 10-15 minutes to reduce that stress. If you are bingeing when you are bored, try to do something that occupies your hands!
    Best thing to remember is to listen to your body and eat when you are hungry! Denying yourself of food only makes it easier to fall into a binge later.
    Hope this helps a little :)
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I found when I first started dieting I had to take an appetite suppressant to curb evening cravings. i think it was a combination of many different changes at once. For one I am horrible at drinking water and discovered I will crave food when I am actually thirsty. Sounds weird but it is true. Also I was changing over from highly processed, high fat, high carb foods to more whole foods. I think my body was in a little shock craving the extra calories and carbs. I believe a lot of the cravings for me had to do with adjusting with the amounts of endorphins and leptin from the "less satisfying foods". I used the appetite suppresant for 6 months last year and lost 25 lbs but gave up for 6 months and gained it all back. I have restarted and decided to skip the suppressants now because to do it long term I need to do it on my own. It is way easier the 2nd time around. The suppressant is called Adicor by Kat-A-Lyst. Loved it, it may help ya. Also I try to save a few 100 calories just for evening if I want a little snack. I don't get huge binge cravings anymore.
  • Courtney344
    Courtney344 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I found when I first started dieting I had to take an appetite suppressant to curb evening cravings. i think it was a combination of many different changes at once. For one I am horrible at drinking water and discovered I will crave food when I am actually thirsty. Sounds weird but it is true. Also I was changing over from highly processed, high fat, high carb foods to more whole foods. I think my body was in a little shock craving the extra calories and carbs. I believe a lot of the cravings for me had to do with adjusting with the amounts of endorphins and leptin from the "less satisfying foods". I used the appetite suppresant for 6 months last year and lost 25 lbs but gave up for 6 months and gained it all back. I have restarted and decided to skip the suppressants now because to do it long term I need to do it on my own. It is way easier the 2nd time around. The suppressant is called Adicor by Kat-A-Lyst. Loved it, it may help ya. Also I try to save a few 100 calories just for evening if I want a little snack. I don't get huge binge cravings anymore.

How long did it take you to lose the 25 pounds?
  • meganjjb
    Options
    i have trouble with this myself too.. i wanna stuff my face every time i get stressed or mad or depressed and i always regret it and its become hard to lose weight .... ive only been at it 41/2 weeks now and im down 8-9 pounds i go up and down everyday im weight but i am down like 2-3 jean sizes though
  • baotzu
    baotzu Posts: 28
    Options
    Have more self control
    Drink more water
    Have more self control
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is all I ever write but it sounds like you need more protein and more often. Try eating protein every three hours. My breakfast always includes either one egg and one egg white with 1/4 cup oats or three egg whites w/oats. A few hours after that I have protein shake. Lunch is fish with veggies mid afternoon almonds or lowfat cottage cheese with fresh berries etc. It has been 2 1/2 weeks and I have no late afternoon or evening cravings and I am gaining muscle and losing weight.

Pretty much this. If you want to binge just eat protein instead. Actually, not just protein, make sure you get some fat in it, too. Ground beef, fatty steak (lean steak or chicken doesn't work nearly as well, at least not for me), a protein shake I guess if you just don't have anything else handy, but better still if you throw some ground beef patties into a baggy and bring those to work instead.

It's a matter of exchanging sweets and other carbs for something that will fill you up. Add a veggie or a small serving of fruit to it and you're good to go. I bet with a bellyful of steak you won't look at a box of doughnuts or pizza and decide you will die if you don't get it.
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I would think that u have to examine the reason for ur binging. Are you actually hungry or is in response to stress. I know that I'm an emotional eater. I eat in response to stress or at least I used to.
  • tasson
    tasson Posts: 37
    Options
    I binge eat and graze. I often ask myself, before I go after the snack machine, "how are you going to feel in two hours after you have eaten that cookie? Will you want another cookie? Will you have the control to not eat another? If, yes, then don't eat it now." Or I ask myself, what if I had already had that snack and wanted another, etc. It is not easy, which is why we are here. We like to eat. Look at the calories, first. Ask yourself if they are really worth it. :flowerforyou:
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    OK, I probably need new glasses -- I saw the title of this and thought you were having trouble blinging!

and my first thought was, "How hard is it to put on more sparkly stuff?"
  • zilliegirl
    zilliegirl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I tend to bing when im not dealing with my emotions..
  • tasson
    tasson Posts: 37
    Options
    OK, I probably need new glasses -- I saw the title of this and thought you were having trouble blinging!

and my first thought was, "How hard is it to put on more sparkly stuff?"

Typo: She's talking about binge eating.
  • jtyson31
    jtyson31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    maybe try drinking more water and have a piece of fruit
  • pattycakes1978
    pattycakes1978 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have become aware of what my trigger foods are and try to either not have it in the house or buy it in portion sizes. For example I love chips. So instead of buying a big bag of chips I buy single size portions. And my trick is leave the wrapper/bag/plate right where I can see it so I can remind myself I have already had my portion. I also make myself wait 10 to 20 minutes to see if the craving will go away. Sometime I still might have another portion of whatever it is but at least I am aware of how much I am eating. For me it helps curb my binges.