Really confused with TDEE and BMR

Options
I have tried all different calculators and I get different results each time, and sometimes its a huge difference. I figured I just use the mfp settings which has put me at around 1350 calories a day but others are suggesting around 2000 calories a day. I'm also confused as to should I really eat back my calories or not? Id like some input if anyone has some suggestions. Thanks

Replies

• Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Try the below website, i found it on another thread when I was confused too. It's great and easy to use and many people on MFP have used it. Good luck xxx

Scooby workshop.com
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    As I understand it - and I'm no expert - MFP is set up so that you will lose weight on the calories they give you even if you don't exercise. If you do exercise, it automatically adds the calories burned to your daily calories so that you can eat more. You need more nourishment when you are making your body work hard. You should still lose weight.

However, remember that these numbers are estimates. You may find that you need more calories and can still lose weight. Or you may find that you can't lose weight if you eat your exercise calories. Be willing to try something for at least two weeks, then adjust depending on your results.
  • ericafaye6988
    ericafaye6988 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    MFP uses BMR to calculate calories. You should always eat back these calories. TDEE is calculated with your exercise so do not eat back your calories.
  • Skellingtonx
    Skellingtonx Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all. So maybe I should just stick to what mfp is recommending and see if is working better, if not higher my intake on calories.
  • Ruebia
    Ruebia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    it's different for everybody....for instance, my calories per day is set at 1220....if i do any kind of exercise those calories that i burned get added back so that i can eat more...which is great for me because i've lost 10 pounds so far, however, my "exercise" has been sporadic so that 10 pound loss comes mostly from just keeping track of my daily calories....on the other hand, my husband can't do that....he's allowed 2180 calories per day but we don't add back his exercise because we found that if we did it didn't work....there was no way he could eat enough to replace what he'd used....since we stopped adding back his exercise calories he lost 3 pounds one week and 9 pounds the next week....just gotta find that sweet spot....