How much weight do you need to lose to lose a size?

Options
I'm just wondering how much people need to lose in order to go down a size? Does it depend on the person? I started my weight loss last spring and lost almost 20lbs and never went down a size in my clothes. I know the scale said I was going down but I couldn't see it and it made me so not motivated! I was trying to get pregnant so I stopped for the last 3 months and gained most of that weight back. But baby is now on the back burner and I am getting back to this weight loss thing. I WANT to get down so bad. But when you are exercising and saying no to your favorite things and you don't see any difference except the scale...makes me super upset and angry and think...why am I doing this? I don't have a weight I want to be...I have a size I want to be!

Replies

• wren176
    wren176 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hello! I totally understand where you are coming from. I am 5'5 and started wearing a tight 18/20, I have lost 23.6 pounds and I am just now starting to see a difference in clothes. I tried on a pair of size 16 jeans yesterday and they fit! I also bought a skirt in a 14/16 but the difference in the clothes has just really happened this week. Just be patient and don't get discouraged it WILL come!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I was squishing myself into my clothes when I started. I had to lose 2/4 sizes before my clothes started falling off of me.
  • kkinse
    kkinse Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on the person and also how you are losing the weight. If you are working out a lot and doing strength training, you may be dropping clothing sizes with fewer lbs lost because you are developing muscle which weighs more than fat. If you aren't doing a lot of muscle building and your weight loss is primarily fat, then you will likely be dropping clothing sizes slower in relation to your weight.

Don't give up though! A great way to see progress is to also take measurements as they are way more accurate than clothing sizes that range from store to store. You're doing fantastic and you will definitely get to the weight and clothing size you want to be if you stick with it and don't let not seeing smaller clothing sizes right away deter you.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    It depends on you, where you carry the weight, whether you are losing muscle and fat, or more of one vs the other.

For example, I lost 10-15 lbs and that can be one size - BUT I don't always loose it in my hips, where the size difference appears.

Many women start to loss from the top down, with lower body being last to loose. So you may not see an inch loss on lower body, but only around arms, or chest or torso. This can mess with your head, as you "see" no progress.

I really recommend you also measure a few areas once a month, not just one. Chest, ribcage, waist, hips, arms, legs. This is because you may loss in one area, but not another. This is perfectly normal. And you may not loss visably every week/month.

Also, in my case, I work out hard, and lift heavy weights. So often the scale shows NO loss for a month. But I have 1-2 inch loss, from fat loss, and muscle tightening/building.

So scale weight is very deceptive, and not the best goal in itself. Use size, inches, mirror check, and body fat - if you have a means to measure that accurately.

Those are better progress indicators then scale weight only.

Last, I don't skip the foods I love. :) Would make me insane. Rather work them into you diet plan. Ether a smaller portion, on occasion within your calorie goals, or (in my case) a free day or free meal that allows you to feel less deprived.

I personally have a free/ no cal count day once a week. I have lost a total of 60 pounds this way. The other 6 days I workout very hard, and make very good food choices. Though I personally do not eat all organic or clean. However if I really need a piece of chocolate, I have one, and adjust my other calorie choices, or workout, that day to account for it.

That works for me, may not work for others.

But helps me not feel deprived.

Remember, it sometimes takes a while to see changes. I sometimes go a few weeks to a month with no scale loss, or inch loss, then bam - 5 pounds gone in three days. Or two inches gone in a few days.

Make sure you are neither under eating or over eating - both can stall your progress.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    When you are in the bigger sizes, it takes more to get to the next one. I've lost 90 lbs, and it took me 45, or HALF of that, to go from an 18 to a 16. Then about 20 more to get into a 14. Then about 15-17 more before I was in a 12. Then, a mere 10 lbs and all those size 12's and size Large shirts were too big and I moved into a 10. Now, only 7-10 lbs more, and I am wearing a size 8 skirt, size medium shirts, size 8 dresses, and stuck between an 8 and a 10 in jeans.

Just remember sizes are relative and different as to who the designer is and where they come from and how they wash and wear. I have size 10's that are too big and size 12's that fit perfectly right now. I have on size 7 dress that fits me well and one size 10 skirt that is tight.

Also - sizes are different today than they were 10 and 20 years ago. I wore a size 14 in high school (20 years ago) and I was 5'10 and 150 lbs. Today I can wear a 10 at the same height and weight. So sizes have technically gotten bigger over the years.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person and how they are losing. Personally, I went from an 8 to a 6 and didn't lose a pound, but I lost body fat and added muscle. I've also known people who have gained sizes while losing weight because they were losing muscle and storing fat. I'd want to look at your diet and exercise to see how it can be tweaked to tell the body to burn fat and maintain muscle so that you lose both on the scale and in body fat to see decreases in clothing size.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person and where they lose weight from I think. I think it took me about 35-40 pounds before I could go down a pants size, and even then if I was having a "fat day" they were a smidge too tight. My stomach did go down a little at first (very noticeable by 50 pounds) but in the beginning I lost most of my weight from my boobs, arms, and face....obviously that isn't really going to affect clothes size.

Of course I've since gained it all back so I am starting from square one. I found the best way to track progress is to take pictures every 10 pounds. You'd be amazed the difference you'll see after just 10 pounds loss. I recommend taking the pics in the same clothes each time, I do underwear and bra but then also a more covered pic so I can show off if I want. Good luck!
  • nheckrodt
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I lost 20 pounds before I started this..now I'm down 26 pounds all together in 2 months. I workout very hard 2 times a day for between an he to an he n a half a day. I diet also n only have a " free" day once a month. But with all my hard work I haven't really gone down n sizes. I strength train because I want muscle not necessarily lean arms n legs. I have a very athletic build but ive also had 4 children. So my abdomen I realize will take linger then something else n thats y I'm not going down Jean sizes really. It money also I was wearing too tight clothing to begin with who knows. My old clothes are baggy I just cant drop to that not size yet:( but don't give up...I know the goal is in sight n I will start swing drastic results as will u:)
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think I dropped about 30 before I could get into a smaller size. That was starting from a 20W and now into a 16 misses....
  • luckystar8131
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I just joined a gym this past week so I am hoping to start messuring myself and weigh myself. I'm pretty excited to get down but now I know that it's going to take a bit so not to get so frustrated. It's nice to see the pounds get smaller on the scale but wearing smaller clothes is the better reward!
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    Thank you for the many responses, as I was wondering about this. I have just started my.. new lifestyle about a month ago, and I know that I have a ways to go, but to hear the testimonies and the support is such a wonderful thing!
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I have dropped 1-2 sizes. I say 1-2 because it matters on the brand im trying on. I can easily fit in a 12 but if i really try I can squeeze in a 10 but not without sucking, pulling, etc. I started at 18/16, then 14 and now im 12.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    I think it also depends on how your clothing was fitting you when you began your diet - tight, ill-fitting? (Mine were). If so, it may take a little longer for you to move down to that next size and feel a real difference. In the meantime, I would think your current clothing sizes might at least fit better? With the amount of your weight loss, I imagine they would. Also, have you taken measurements? (I don't but I wish I did). Sometimes it takes not only the loss of weight, but the loss of inches to feel a real difference. Good luck to you - I know how frustrating that can be!
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    When I started I was barely squeezing into a 22 so I'll call it a 24. It took my about 30lbs of cardio and diet control to drop to a 20. It's been another 15 but I lift and I just got into 18. So I dunno. I think it depends on lots of things.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Completely depends on the person. I'm not even close to being down a size. For me it's likely going to be at least 50lbs before I can go down. My clothes fit exactly the same so far.
  • rmcminn89
    Options
    it really depends on the person. If you're like me, I dread buying bigger sizes, so I was probably actually 1-2 sizes bigger than what I was actually wearing. It takes me about 30 pounds to go down a size at first, but then it seems like every 15 pounds or so I am changing sizes again. Also depends on where you store your weight. I am a lucky winner of storing it in my midsection so pants are the last to show my progress!!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person but I also agree with the person who said that the bigger you are the more you have to lose to get to a smaller size. Those size 18 clothes are pretty roomy. I started out as a size 18 a few years ago at 215. I had to drop 25 lbs before I could get into a size 16. It seemed to take forever. I got into a size 14 at 175. If memory serves I could wear a size 10 at 140-145.
    I know a woman who drops a size every 10 lbs. I think for me to get those results I'd have to be much smaller. Maybe if my starting weight was 160. But, heck, at this point my goal is 160!