Can I eat over 1200 if I work-out?

Options
I'm 5'5 , 174.5 pounds, female.

It says I'll lose two pounds a week by eating around 1100 calories but it's unhealhy to go under 1200. But if I eat 1200 and work off 250, will I still lose 2 pounds a week if I eat those 250 back?

Replies

• dwylie1
    dwylie1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As long as you burn more than you consume, you should be good. It's worked for me that way.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    As long as you burn more than you consume, you should be good. It's worked for me that way.

You have more weight to lose, you will probably differ than the OP.

OP, this is how MFP works. It creates a large deficit based on diet only and if you exercise you eat those calories back so in a way not to destroy your metabolism or lose lean body mass in the process.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    The way MFP is designed to work, you are supposed to eat back the calories you burn through exercise because that is not factored into your calorie goal. The calorie goal it gives you (which is not 1100 by the way :wink:) already has the calorie deficit built into it. It you exercise, and then eat back those calories, you are back at the calorie deficit given to you by MFP.

Generally speaking, the closer you get to a healthy weight, the less you should be aiming to lose per week. If I were you, I would switch to losing 1-1.5 lbs a week soon. Having too large of a deficit can increase the risk that you will lose more muscle mass than you would want to. Not really the best when you're trying to be healthy, fit and "look great naked". :smile:
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I will repeat a previous poster. You are supposed to eat back your exercise calories. Other wise, why exercise? Also, too few net calories is unhealthy for a miriad of reasons.
  • Nessa0506
    Options
    If you exercise you need to eat at least 1500 calories. Your body has to know that it will not go into starvation. Eat clean. Train dirty
  • lauradawson1123
    Options
    you should switch to losing 1 lb a week. i personally think that 1100 net is a bit low
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    If you exercise you need to eat at least 1500 calories. Your body has to know that it will not go into starvation. Eat clean. Train dirty

That again, is not a one size fits all; some need more than that like myself. Not sure where you heard that. Actually her BMR based on her stats is 1600.