what could be causing super low energy levels?

Options
Hi all,

so the past few days I've noticed my energy levels are super low. like so low, that walking feels like a chore. skipped the gym today, but did a circuit workout so I'd have at least some extra movement today (and I thought it may wake me up a little and give me some energy!) . Well I was pooped after like 5 minutes! My legs and arms feel like jello.
Even monday at the gym I had to go down 10 pounds on every machine I did because my arms&legs just couldn't do it.

I know I don't need more sleep, I've been going to bed at 10pm and waking up around 8, so could this be because I'm missing something in my diet?
Sorry, I know you don't have much to go on by here, any answers are appreciated :)

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You seem to be eating very low calories, and a lot of your calories seem to be coming from sugary items such as M&Ms and muffins. Make sure you are eating at least your BMR and try filling up on items that take longer to digest such as proteins, fats, and complex carbs.
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're calorie cycling, but some of your days are really low. Also, I don't see where you're getting much in the way of iron or B12.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    the M&Ms were just yesterday at the movies..
    I eat lots of fruit and veggies, and I make myself healthy sandwiches with some avocado and meat. Not exactly sure what else I could eat? Any suggestions?
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    First, do the math to make sure that you're eating enough calories, then maybe add a supplement. I have to take vitamin D, B complex, and a multivitamin or else my body will not move.
  • GoneKona
    Options
    Have your thyroid checked.
  • dandandee
    Options
    I don't know if you're calorie cycling, but some of your days are really low. Also, I don't see where you're getting much in the way of iron or B12.

nope, not calorie cycling (I actually had no idea what that was until I googled it just now). I hadn't noticed some days were considerably less than others, I'll try and fix that.
    First, do the math to make sure that you're eating enough calories, then maybe add a supplement. I have to take vitamin D, B complex, and a multivitamin or else my body will not move.

okay, so I should look into some vitamins then. My mom's told me I should take some.. I just haven't gotten out and bought any
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    the M&Ms were just yesterday at the movies..
    I eat lots of fruit and veggies, and I make myself healthy sandwiches with some avocado and meat. Not exactly sure what else I could eat? Any suggestions?

If you are really only consuming 800 calories, it shouldn't be hard to add in more calories. People often cut out "unhealthy" food, but then go too far to the other extreme and don't eat enough calories. You don't have to deprive yourself of foods just because you are trying to lose weight. If you need to add calories just add in some more calorie dense foods like nuts, avocados (more than a small slice), cook with olive oil, olives, peanut butter (seriously, spoon + jar = win).
  • RevCO30
    RevCO30 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Try the sublingual B12 tablets. They dissolve under your tongue. You can get them at Wal-mart or drug store in vitamn aisle.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    you're pregnant
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above that it is probably your diet. Try eating more with more slow digesting foods, being over 1,000 calories under your goal is not ideal. Next time you feel like you have no energy make sure to check your diet from both that day and the previous day. Energy comes from calories.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I would try eating more. You have your calories set high but you are not even coming close to it most days. I don't know what your weight is currently and how you determined what to set the calories at but not matter what you should be eating over 1200 and most of the days I looked at you didn't. I saw a lot of things that lack nutrients but had plenty of calories...those should be replaced with more nutrient rich options...if you are this tired, most likely you are missing a lot of things.
  • ahodac
    Options
    I was feeling really fatigued for quite a while and finally went to the doctor. Turns out my vitamin B and D levels were low (which was odd since I live in Florida and get all kinds of sun). Once I started taking the vitamin D and B complex, I felt so much better. I take them at lunch which is the normal time of day that I would begin to feel overwhelming drowsy.
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    didn't read your diary because I have to roll for work in 5 minutes but are you:

* eating enough iron?
    * eating low GI foods? (800 cal mostly in white bread or sugar is going to cause your body to crash not too long after a meal)
    * eating enough protien and slow release carbs?
    * pregnant?
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Your protein seems REALLY low, as does your calories.
  • northfresh
    Options
    I didn't check your diary so I don't know what your intake is, but too much caffeine can have that effect
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It looks to me that you're not eating nearly enough protein (or calories). If I were feeling like you are describing, I'd up my calories to maintenance for one week and concentrate on nourishing myself. Part of your problem is that you are eating a super-low amount of calories - but also want to eat sweet treats. The sweet treats take the place of other healthy protein you could be eating. While eating at maintenace for a week, I'd also take the workouts down a notch - take long walks or bike rides. Your body is talking to you and if you don't listen to it, it will MAKE you slow down!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    iron deficiency
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Had a quick look back through your food diary and you are just not eating enough! When you do get close to your target calories for the day there is way too much sugar. On the days that you exercise (one you gained 550 calories from exercise) you only ate 1000 so thats only 450 to run your body and you need around 1200 minimum.

Eat more of the right stuff and you will find that you don't need the sugar any more. More lean protein, more complex carbs, more veg. Without the food your body will just burn up the easy reserves - and that will include your muscle, leaving you feeling tired and weak. You need to eat properly to get the vitamins and minerals your body needs.

I am short so MFP usually gives me a target of 1200 daily to get less than 1 lb per week estimated loss but I find I actually lose more weight if I eat 1500 and exercise properly (a good 500 calorie plus burn) three times a week. If I do stick to the MFP targets I usually aim for plus or minus 50 from the target daily (it's ok to go over - ignore the little notes MFP send you congratulating you on being under on your calories!) plus 80% of my exercise calories (as I don't think I really burn what they say I do!)

You have not got a lot to lose so take it slow and steady and aim for inches not lbs (try something like 30DS)
  • dandandee
    Options
    thanks for the answers everyone, you'll all very helpful :)

to the two who asked if I'm pregnant, no, I promise you I am not.
    as for protein.. I know I don't get enough.. I've never eaten a lot of protein, like ever.
    I'll look into some vitamins too
  • shiplizard
    shiplizard Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Morticiamom is always yelling at me about adding more veggies and complex carbs to my diet even though I eat a lot of fruit, but she's right. Fruit's fantastic for you but you also have to add something to your diet that's going to provide slow, consistent energy.

As for the protein, I'm not sure what you like to eat, but an extra can of tuna or some peanut butter are easy ways to get that up there (of course, the peanut butter comes with fat/sugar... the price of deliciousness.) Also hard boiled eggs are nice and portable and bump up your protein counts.