Help me pick a Leslie Sansone DVD

Options
I need something low-impact. I have some kind of inflammatory arthritis and I cannot do anything that will bother my knees..like lunges or squats. But I can walk!

Do you need a treadmill? that part is confusing to me I cant picture how to walk without one, but based on some reviews at Amazon it seems like you dont need a treadmill which is good since I dont have one!

I am 34, in otherwise good health except I need to lose 30 pounds and I have that knee issue. So I dont want a really easy walking DVD. I'd like a harder one but one that isnt going to have any hidden moves that will make my knees act up.

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• prettyblu
    Options
    I love Leslie! She has a 1, 2, and 3 mile walk on YouTube. They're awesome and very low-impact, but you WILL sweat.
    You don't need any kind of equipment either. Good luck!! :)
  • shenhannigans
    Options
    I have "Walk Slim: 5 Really Big Miles" and I really like it. There are 3 cardio only miles and 2 that also use the resistance band included. Each mile is its own chapter on the DVD so you can mix and match as you like. Essentially you walk in place with some other step variations thrown in. If you find any of them too hard on your knee, you can just keep the pace and walk in place for that segment.
  • cytmom
    cytmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love her dvds also, but don't know how to calculate the calories burned
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    Khallock, I do recommend trying some of her videos on youtube or on the walkathome web site, so that you can make sure they're not going to cause you knee problems. She does have some moves, like her side steps, knee lifts, etc. that I could see potentially giving you trouble, especially if you do them with intensity.

Ctymom, she has an article on her web site that gives an estimate of ~100 calories burned per mile. This is at the 15 minute/1 mile so 4.0 mph pace. I think her 12 minute miles burn more. And as she states, it all depends on the level of intensity at which you do the exercises, your weight, etc. I boost my way through most of them at this point, so I think I'm probably burning more calories, but I still log them as walking 4.0 mph or 5.0 mph respectively..
  • emchip1983
    Options
    ive just started doing these on you tube and they are fab, ive done 7 mile this morning . some bits might effect your knees but you can adapt them ,dont lift your knees as high and instead of side lunges just walk on the spot .
  • fitandhealthy42012
    Options
    I do enjoy Leslie Sansone walk workout. :happy: I've done the 3 mile walk when I had a injury for a low impact workout. I was pleasantly surprised how good the workout was. I did build up a sweat and was very surprised as it's just a walking movement. If you have problems with your knees you can just adapt the exercise to your needs. :smile:
  • melissasstats
    Options
    Have been doing Leslie's workouts off and on for years. Now I'm back "on". They can be a really tough workout depending on which one you choose. The 3 mile "Burn Body Fat and Sculpt Your Arms" is fun and challenging. It's just her...no group which I prefer, too.