how to avoid a plateau?

Options
I've been on MFP for about a month now and I haven't hit a plateau YET. I've been reading different post about it and some people are saying that they had to increase their calories to start losing weight again. I'm confused- does this mean to go over your daily calories or does it mean to exercise more therefore you will be allowed to eat more calories. I hope I am making sense. I really don't want to hit a plateau but I know it's bound to happen sooner or later. Thank You all in advance for your help.

Replies

• ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused about this too. I've only been on MFP for about a month but I've been losing weight since January and have yet to hit a plateau either.
  • jlo7
    jlo7 Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm really confused about this too. I've only been on MFP for about a month but I've been losing weight since January and have yet to hit a plateau either.
  • jlo7
    jlo7 Posts: 45
    Options
    How have you been doing it? Do you stay pretty close to you calorie goal?
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    It means to raise your calorie goal. Instead of eating 1200 calories a day, raise it to 1400. Because the lower your weight goes, the more calories you need to eat.
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP since Feb and I was losing steadily until last month and it was suggested to me to go over my calories for one day (not too crazy though) so that my system would sort of reset. There was an informative link by Jillian Michaels that was sent to me I will see if I can find it and post it for you, it is about plateaus.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I love this site. I'm with you all: No plateau, yet. I can never quite eat all my calories, after adding my exercise input. BUT, sometimes, I purposefully eat more than my calories allowed. I have heard that this keeps my body from adjusting to a constant calorie amount and keeps me from plateauing.
    Each day I use different amounts of energy on exercise, so I guess I am also keeping my metabolism confused that way.
    Our secret (you-alls and mine) is that we keep our metabolism guessing. ;)
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    How have you been doing it? Do you stay pretty close to you calorie goal?

My calorie goal is 1460 and I usually go over but try to burn enough calories by working out enough to be even. I used to not come anywhere near my goal (even before exercising) and felt fine for a while. But then I just got so hungry!!!! I started eating more and felt a lot better and the weight still came off. I don't know if that will prevent a plateau or not, but I'm sure I'll hit one eventually. From what I've read from everyone else you just keep on eating right and working out and you'll get over the plateau.
  • inkprincess
    inkprincess Posts: 56
    Options
    I wish I knew. I've been in a plateau for like 4 months. :( I've maybe lost an inch during that time, but no weight. I've tried everything. Eating more, eating less, working out more, working out less. Nothing has worked so far. It's gotta break eventually. I hope. LOL
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    theres no really avoiding it. your body gets sooo used to its fat that it says "hey what are u doing" anmd wants to hold on...basically evolution in case an emergency pops up, it has a fat store ready to go...back in the days of klong famine...thats what it thinksis going on...just up the workingout or change it up to reshock ur body into wt loss
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    check this out! http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm once you open the link and fill in the answers click 7 day calorie cycle AKA "zig zag"

makes perfect sense to me. keep your body guessing lol
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    theres no really avoiding it. your body gets sooo used to its fat that it says "hey what are u doing" anmd wants to hold on...basically evolution in case an emergency pops up, it has a fat store ready to go...back in the days of klong famine...thats what it thinksis going on...just up the workingout or change it up to reshock ur body into wt loss

One thing that REALLY helps is confusing your body by repeatedly changing up your exercise routine. Do something different, change the intensity, do cardio, do interval training, do HIIT training, do strength training etc etc. Riding the stationary bike, walking or running on the treadmill and simply burning more calories than you did in the past will not be enough to avoid or break a plateau.
    Risa
  • peggyann47
    peggyann47 Posts: 22
    Options
    Just wanted to thank you for posting the Jillian Michaels link about plateaus. :)
  • Rhyssa6
    Rhyssa6 Posts: 33
    Options
    How long do you go without losing weight for it to be considered a plateau?
  • Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight shouldnt your calorie allowance change if so shouldnt that help prevent a plateau