ALWAYS Hungry

Options
I am always hungry. Well almost always. I give myself 3 snacks a day between meals and I have them at specific times so I can get through the day. At work I feel like I just watch the clock and wish time would go faster so I can get to my next meal. I like to eat something around 3pm since I leave work at 4:30 and don't get home until 5:30. That doesn't even help and I always end up going home and snacking while making dinner and although when dinner is ready and I'm not really hungry anymore (from all my snacking), I still eat a full portion of food and then a few hours later I am hungry again. I cant handle this anymore. I gave in two nights in a row and ate whatever I wanted because I'm tired of telling myself no everyday. On top of it all, I hate snacking on plain veggies. Honestly, they make me queasy. I can't even do salads. I have actually gotten sick a few of the times I ate salad for lunch. So all my snacks are worthless carbs. I need some advice here. I just love food.:brokenheart:

Replies

• kfitz85
    kfitz85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and I haven't been able to get it under control. There are days when I give up and consume close to 10,000 calories. I've found that exercising and drinking lots and lots of water helps a little.

The only food that really works is just eating salsa. The spice makes it feel filling. The best part is, if you get a good healthy brand, it's only 5-10 calories per serving and you can eat the whole container and only consume 100-200 calories.
  • northfresh
    Options
    I have the same issue and I haven't been able to get it under control. There are days when I give up and consume close to 10,000 calories. I've found that exercising and drinking lots and lots of water helps a little.

The only food that really works is just eating salsa. The spice makes it feel filling. The best part is, if you get a good healthy brand, it's only 5-10 calories per serving and you can eat the whole container and only consume 100-200 calories.

Ooo or making your own pico de gallo, cheap easy fresh and delish!
  • FitnessGal1983
    Options
    I don't have any advice really. I control my appetite by doing low carb, but that's not for everybody. I just wanted to say you look great for doing all that eating! You must have a great metabolism.

:)
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I had that problem for the first month of eating healthier. I was so hungry I was miserable. It takes awhile for your body to adjust to smaller portions and healthier options. Make 100% sure you are drinking at least 8 cups of water a day. Dehydration even in the slighest CAN cause extreme hunger.

Up your calories manually to 1500. Eat at least that. Your body is telling you to eat, so nourish it!

Eat things YOU like but are healthier and don't go over your calorie limit. I found I love bananas and string cheese. They are better than a candy bar and they are quite filling. Eat a bowl of soup and a piece of Sara Lee 45 calorie bread. Light progresso soup has barely any calories and it fills me right up.

If you are a snacker... Look into some special k chips. I love those things. Sea salt kind allows you 30 chips for 110 calories. I also buy Pop Secret 100 Calorie popcorn. 1 snack size bag is good enough for me.

Apple sauce (no sugar added)... Low fat cottage cheese. Yogurts! These are all things I ate.

Honestly I can't eat a handful of baby carrots either. Not too many people can! I do enjoy a good salad but mostly I like my veggies cooked and in a stir fry. Speaking of, a 4 oz salmon patty is 100 calories! Make a stir fry with brown rice. Limited cals and it's so filling.

Have you ever had spaghetti squash? I suggest you try it if you haven't. It's AMAZING.. Just as filling as pasta.. But instead of 200 calories a cup, it's only 40 calories a cup. I made it for spaghetti the other night and I was so full I could've puked... I barely noticed it was basically a plate of vegetables.

Find things YOU like that are lower in calories... Look for sugar free, low fat, etc. Don Pancho has 100 calorie wraps. I eat a wrap every day almost for lunch!

Just don't eat fast food and don't go over your calories. You will be okay!

Edit : To add, eat some eggs in the morning (1 egg and 3 egg whites).. or sugar free (lower sugar) instant oatmeals. Have a more filling breakfast in the morning, that should help set your day!

1 of my favorite breakfasts are 1 100 calorie don pancho wrap, some egg whites, 1/4 cup country gravy and a turkey sausage chopped up. It keeps me full for hours and it's delicious.
  • Searley_Pants
    Searley_Pants Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Boredom, when I'm bored, if it's a slow day at work or I'm chilling at home on the weekend, I want to eat because I'm doing nothing else!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Honestly - less cereal bars and way way more veggies - try stir-fries, homemade veggie soup, I love scrambled eggs with veggies and salsa for breakfast. Try a banana and an apple instead of a luna bar.

You are hungry because you are wasting the few calories you have on rubbish food.

Sorry to be harsh.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Are you including protien with your meals and snacks? You can add things like nuts, seeds, and beans to up the protien. If you are not a big protien person, just try for 10 grams per meal and a couple with snacks.
  • mhiggi02
    mhiggi02 Posts: 5,988 Member
    Options
    I have found that drinking water throughout the day really does make a difference. I used to drink coffee non-stop until 11am or so and would then switch to diet coke for the rest of the day. I haven't had anything to drink except for black coffee or water since Jan 3 and it has really been a good decision. Good luck, you can do it!
  • mforsis
    Options
    Hummus and celery sticks
    apple or banana and 1 tbsp peanut butter
    1 - 2 oz really wonderful cheese and an oatcake (not a cracker)
    these are working for me as snacks in the afternoon to get me through til dinner 2 hours apart after lunch
  • allknowingtomato
    allknowingtomato Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just going from today's diary, there are a lot of foods you are eating that aren't giving you much "bang" for your buck. trying to swap out for bulkier, higher-water, higher-protein, higher-fiber foods might help.

instead of 70 cals in coffee creamer, could you give yourself an egg fried inside a bell pepper ring. that would likely fill you up much better than the coffee creamer would.

Also, I am ALWAYS hungrier when i have a lot of processed or white carbs in my day (and even whole wheat sometimes). i'm not saying go low carb necessarily, but consider whether swapping the luna bar out for an apple and almond butter would help fill you up better during the day. I also can't have starchy carbs as a snack, or i'm likely to go overboard. so i don't do bagels, even whole wheat ones, or luna bars, or anything like that if i can help it.

you could also try to find a tea you enjoy, and make a few cups of that a part of your daily routine. it won't give you more calories, but it will be a warm, flavorful thing that gets you to your next snack.

Another trick which might help is come up with a salad or veggie soup you really enjoy, and try to have that every once in a while. you can find soup recipes that have less than 100 cals/serving, and really bulk out a snack to feel more like a meal.

and it can be hard to find the calories for it, but fat is filling. my friend says she puts avocado on her toast instead of butter or cheese, and that it keeps her fuller longer. you could try to load your 1/2 bagel with sliced tomato and avocado, for a little extra fiber/nutrients.

Hang in there!
  • northfresh
    Options
    Just going from today's diary, there are a lot of foods you are eating that aren't giving you much "bang" for your buck. trying to swap out for bulkier, higher-water, higher-protein, higher-fiber foods might help.

instead of 70 cals in coffee creamer, could you give yourself an egg fried inside a bell pepper ring. that would likely fill you up much better than the coffee creamer would.

Also, I am ALWAYS hungrier when i have a lot of processed or white carbs in my day (and even whole wheat sometimes). i'm not saying go low carb necessarily, but consider whether swapping the luna bar out for an apple and almond butter would help fill you up better during the day. I also can't have starchy carbs as a snack, or i'm likely to go overboard. so i don't do bagels, even whole wheat ones, or luna bars, or anything like that if i can help it.

you could also try to find a tea you enjoy, and make a few cups of that a part of your daily routine. it won't give you more calories, but it will be a warm, flavorful thing that gets you to your next snack.

Another trick which might help is come up with a salad or veggie soup you really enjoy, and try to have that every once in a while. you can find soup recipes that have less than 100 cals/serving, and really bulk out a snack to feel more like a meal.

and it can be hard to find the calories for it, but fat is filling. my friend says she puts avocado on her toast instead of butter or cheese, and that it keeps her fuller longer. you could try to load your 1/2 bagel with sliced tomato and avocado, for a little extra fiber/nutrients.

Hang in there!

Reposting for sound advice! :love:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I would like to introduce you to my favorite appetite suppressant. Meet rib eye steak:

grilled-rib-eye-sl-l.jpg

Take at least 8oz with coffee or water (side of cheese and/or small vegetable serving optional) every 24 hours or as needed throughout the day.
  • TurangaLeela
    TurangaLeela Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My hunger has gotten WORSE since I increased protein. Maybe I'm the unusual one here, but protein does nothing to curb my appetite.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Judging by your pic, I'd say you don't love to eat as much as a lot of people, so you can be thankful for that.

High volume, low calorie foods for your meals will help. Lots of veggies. If raw bothers your stomach steam or roast. Skip the oil. Make side dishes the main dish and denser foods the sides.

You might try intermittent fasting. It's not for everybody, but for me it's easier to eat nothing or next to nothing than to be moderate. A search here should turn up a lot of info. If you try it, you still need to eat healthy foods when you are not fasting.

Best of luck to you.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and I would also be always hungry eating @1200 a day! No wonder. Some people say they arent with 1200 but IMO that is little. Especially if you arent a veggie person
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am always hungry. Well almost always. I give myself 3 snacks a day between meals and I have them at specific times so I can get through the day. At work I feel like I just watch the clock and wish time would go faster so I can get to my next meal. I like to eat something around 3pm since I leave work at 4:30 and don't get home until 5:30. That doesn't even help and I always end up going home and snacking while making dinner and although when dinner is ready and I'm not really hungry anymore (from all my snacking), I still eat a full portion of food and then a few hours later I am hungry again. I cant handle this anymore. I gave in two nights in a row and ate whatever I wanted because I'm tired of telling myself no everyday. On top of it all, I hate snacking on plain veggies. Honestly, they make me queasy. I can't even do salads. I have actually gotten sick a few of the times I ate salad for lunch. So all my snacks are worthless carbs. I need some advice here. I just love food.:brokenheart:

You might want to try intermittent fasting, it works well if you do afternoon or evening workouts. Basically you would skip eating in the morning, and eat more later in the day. I found that although I was a hungry in the mornings for the most part it wasn't that bad and then I felt satisfied the rest of the day.
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Wish there was a like button here.
    This is me this week. I believe it's a phase that will pass and we will get right back on track.
    Will power seems so far away right now. Just train ur self and give it time, you'll build the will to eat the right way.
  • lismchp
    Options
    I just have to say about my luna bars that I choose to eat them as soon as I wake up with my coffee since I LOVE chocolate with my coffee. Seems like better option than a brownie haha. I work out 20 min after eating them so I like the fact that number one, they are sweet and number two, they have protein. I don't mind the sugar content since I work out after consuming them. The coffee creamer.... well that's my weakness and I had actually been using almond milk for my creamer. Then I decided to allow myself sugar-free creamer and now this week I just feel like I don't care, I am drinking the good stuff! And the bagels... well thats just because my work brought them in for everyone so I allowed myself half of one. I know not to eat bagels often. My dinner is the worst meal of the day. I eat what my family asks me to make for dinner.

Thank you everyone for your advice though. I will definitely start trying some of those ideas. But I won't be eating a ribeye steak for snacks... sorry. I can't say I could afford that and I'm pretty sure its one of the fattiest steaks.
  • lismchp
    Options
    Honestly - less cereal bars and way way more veggies - try stir-fries, homemade veggie soup, I love scrambled eggs with veggies and salsa for breakfast. Try a banana and an apple instead of a luna bar.

You are hungry because you are wasting the few calories you have on rubbish food.

Sorry to be harsh.

I get what you are saying, but after taking a peak at your diary, how is your bread roll a better option than my luna bar?
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary I think I might be hungry too. Your snacks don't appear to have enough substance. Try putting in something with protein (it keeps me full longer). Also, you may wish to have more veggies to your snack. 1/4th of a bagel is a bite to me. I'd much perfer to have that 1/4th of a bagel with some natural peanut butter on it and chopped up carrots and celery in a Rubbermaid container. Try microwavable Steamfresh type veggies if your in a hurry and eat a cup at a time with your meals. I like to make spinach salad for lunch with almonds, chicken, or tuna, and a couple tablespoons of dressing. I'm good for 2 hours after that. Greek yogurt (when I could eat it) was more filling because it's nearly twice the protein content. Good luck