What to wear to the gym?

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I lift and do squats/deadlifts/etc.

I personally find anything that goes over my knees for the above reason uncomfortable.

I also find anything that goes over my shoulders is uncomfortable.

So i wear shorts, a shorts bra, and a tank top.

The shorts are compression shorts so i don't accidentally flash someone my butt.

under-armour-ultra-compression-s-15713-f

Nothing fancy.
  • Nessa0506
    Options
    At home I am a panties and sports bra type girl (hence the pic) but at the gym I wear dri fit caprices and a non cotton t-shirt. Dri fit socks and my nikes
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Spend your money on good shoes and sports bras first for the proper support doing whatever activity you're going to be doing. Those are things you absolutely NEED. As for the rest, go to Academy or Target and hunt the clearance racks for shorts or yoga pants, and a t-shirt you already have works as a top. Once you figure out what you like, you can invest money in more bottoms, Dri-fit material, etc... That stuff can be expensive, so choose wisely!
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    This is usually what I wear.

Richard-Simmons.jpg

It's just an idea
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    JCPenny. Their Xersion brand is awesome. Super cute and affordable. They have pants, shorts, capris, tees, tanks, bras, coats, long sleeves... everything.

PS - Lulu lemon makes me want to punch people.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Non-cotton yoga type pants. Wicking material shirt. You could get both for less than $20 at Walmart.
  • tinamartinson
    tinamartinson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm doing.

For spinning I wear shorts that are slightly above the knee but not too short. If short they ride up, if long they snag on my knees as I spin. I prefer a semi-fitted short. Just not ready for a fitted pant/short yet. Maybe in 15 more lbs.

For weight training I tend to wear capri or long length pants. Again, semi-fitted.

I find yoga pants to be too loose at the waist for any activities that involve hopping around. They fall down to easily doing jumping jacks, sprints, etc. Even for spinning they can droop. So, I prefer all my workout bottoms have a fairly snug waistband that will stay up.

Tops are usually cotton t-shirts. Most of my t-shirts were "free" as part of charity walks or other fitness functions. I will wear the s&^% out of free clothes. But not when running. Cotton tends to chafe my arms/armpits when jogging or running.

Sports bra depends on the activity, too. If I'm hopping around then I need high support. If I'm spinning I just need them kept in place.

Shoes are important. I spend more money on shoes than any other item. Good shoes mean everything. I had a poorly fitting pair that caused a bad case of plantar fasciitis. Better shoes went a long way toward fixing it.

Good luck!
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I wear workout pants and t-shirts from target (wicking material is key) - the Champion brand is relatively cheap and fit well...I prefer the fitted pants with a little bit of a flair at the bottom...
  • BCgirl1271
    Options
    I wear a t-shirt and yoga pants when I workout.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. But here are some suggestions on good places to buy stuff if you don't want to spend a lot:

Walmart - good tops and pants...don't like their sports bras though
    Target - good sports bras (and tops and pants, but will cost you more than Walmart)
    Ross - another good choice in the Walmart/Target category
    TJ Maxx - will have the name brand stuff (Nike etc), for about half price, but is still going to cost you more than Walmart.

I recommend just Walmart/Target until you get really serious about working out and know what you like!
  • trickycoolj
    trickycoolj Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Target C9 stuff is great. I would recommend synthetic fabrics so they dry quickly. Those free old t-shirts from work/school/volunteer activities can get really heavy and chafe when wet.

I love leggings so I don't have baggy pant legs flinging around if I'm doing any kind of exercising on a floor. I've totally had baggy pants loop over the toe of my shoe when trying to maneuver between plank/pushup position and toppled over! :blushing:

If you sweat much get a bandana to wear around your head/hair. I drip a lot and try to keep my dripping on equipment/mats to a minimum this way. I love Buffs for this purpose!! http://www.buffusa.com/sports/collections/filter/women A bit spendy but so amazing and they fit under helmets for action sports and also keep flyaway hair and bangs out of the way!

Ross/Marshalls/TJMaxx are also great places to look for brand name exercise clothes if you're really concerned with brand but Target/WalMart stuff is just as good and less expensive to replace as you slim down.

*EDIT* Title Nine has a huge selection of sports bras for ladies of ALL sizes and rate them for movement and cup size (at both ends of the spectrum!) http://www.titlenine.com/
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    What do you all wear the gym?

Never gone and looking to go. But what do i wear? At home im in my p.j's lol, but i cant do that at the gym. lol

But what colour/pattern are they...just had an image of me trotting into the gym in some of the more 'special' patterns of jammies I own and had to laugh! ;)

I have a 3/4 length pair of stretchy lycra pants that are loose at the bottom (a little more forgiving than shorts but not as warm as full pants length ones), a sports bra (a must have for all women) and a tech t-shirt. You can get most of this at Old Navy or Walmart if you are on a budget and most specialty shops (plus or petites or whatever) have a line of their own available. I would say go for some stuff that is bright in colour - there are enough crows at the gym already and it is fun to be cheerful when you are there. Black isn't as slimming as everyone thinks - and when I am looking out over the other women working out I am always happy to see some bright spots out there...apart from my neon pink self! :)

I would say invest the most in a pair of the best you can afford level of shoes - do a bit of research on what you are thinking of doing there and then go to a sports store and have a look at what is available for your type of activity. A running shoe with lots of cushioning is important - especially when you are still at the beginning of your weight loss journey - as I found out to my dismay - because it can prevent injuries from happening that will put you out of play just when you are really hitting your stride.

Have fun with it - and it is a great way to reward yourself as you meet your goals...I am almost due for some new work out stuff...and am getting pretty excited about it! ;)
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    What do you all wear the gym?

Never gone and looking to go. But what do i wear? At home im in my p.j's lol, but i cant do that at the gym. lol

It depends on the person. When I was heavier I wouldn't be caught dead wearing the cutesy spandex pants and tight tanks. I stuck with loose fitting athletic shorts or capris, a good sports bra, socks and athletic shoes and a t-shirt. Yeah, regular cotton shirts don't hold up well with sweat, but really there's no point going out and spending lots of money on the 'good' stuff until you've lost some weight. Trust me, athletic gear isn't cheap and you don't want to go spending money on items you know you'll shrink out of in several months. I saved myself the cost of technical gear until I knew I wasn't going to lose anymore. I'm just now growing my athletic wardrobe (yes, it becomes a wardrobe once you make it part of your lifestyle).
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options

If you sweat much get a bandana to wear around your head/hair. I drip a lot and try to keep my dripping on equipment/mats to a minimum this way. I love Buffs for this purpose!! http://www.buffusa.com/sports/collections/filter/women A bit spendy but so amazing and they fit under helmets for action sports and also keep flyaway hair and bangs out of the way!

Bumping for this! I've been looking for something like this!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I either wear yoga capris or running shorts with a tank top or t-shirt. I prefer wearing yoga tights so that my legs don't stick to the weight machines lol. Just wear what you feel most comfortable in.
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on how comfy you feel. when i'm feeling fat i wear baggy sweats with a loose t-shirt. when i'm feeling skinny i wear running tights/pants with a more fitted tshirt over a sports bra. :bigsmile:
  • vickiecarr78
    Options
    I wear capri pants(just bought some super comfy ones from Target and the active wear ones from Old Navy are awesome for jogging), a loose tshirt and a sports bra. I have to wear a bondi band or sweat band for most workouts because I sweat a lot. I'm not there to look cute, which I'm sure I just look a hot mess!
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just make sure my gym clothes are presentable..meaning no rips, holes, stains. I wear modest clothing; yoga pants, capris, and a tank...nothing scandalous lol.

oh, and I find tons of my workout clothing at goodwill..ive found lululemon, c9, nike, you name it for a fraction of the cost. If thrifting isn't your thing, id recommend ebay ;)
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    The Gap recently released or re-released a workout line that has some more forgiving sizes I think - you may want to check there as prices aren't too bad. As well, Costco in Canada has AMAZING workout gear. Try there, too!
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    comfy stuff! work out pants or shorts, sports bra and tank top :-)