when I'm lifting should I?

Options
so i am doing several different upper arm and forearm lifting techniques daily, but i am starting low for me, and using a 10lb dumbbell, also, I am only doing 50 reps with most of the exercises, my left arm always struggles more, I am right handed primarily, should i add more lifting to my left arm to bring it to an equal level...

Replies

• moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    That seems like way to low a weight with way too many reps.....time consuming with little productivity. Always lift the same weight with both arms, they will even out.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    50 reps per exercise?? Try upping the weight, lowering the rep count; no real strength will be gained from what you're currently doing. Your dominant side is naturally going to be stronger than the other.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Ya - I'd just like to echo what moran said.

Use heavy weights. Aim for about 10-12 reps at most. Keep the weight even on both sides. Your left arm will catch up.
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    That seems like way to low a weight with way too many reps.....time consuming with little productivity. Always lift the same weight with both arms, they will even out.

Pretty much this. If you can lift 10lbs 50 times, it's time to try a heavier weight. And use the same weight/rep scheme for each arm, and tailor it to the weaker arm and it will catch up eventually (i.e. if your left arm can do 10 reps of 15lbs but your right can only do 10 reps of 10lbs, stick with 10lbs until your right arm catches up)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Only 50 reps? Only...50?

You need to up weight and reduce reps. If you can do 50 reps with a weight you may as well be just be lifting your arms up and down without any weights in them.

You don't have to lift to breaking or start lifting heavy if you don't want to do that (though, that will be better way to build strength). But find a weight that you're struggling to lift somewhere in the 15th to 20th rep range.

When I'm lifting for strength building, I use a weight that I can lift for absolutely no more than 8-10 reps. Once 10 reps becomes standard and I can go past that, I up the weight.

If I''m not trying to necessarily build muscle in, just keep what's there worked well, I use a weight that I can push just to 15 on, if I start find it too easy to get to 15, I up the weight.