protein shakes!

Options
well i just recently started working out i learned a routine with a trainer for a month but now im on my own i go to the gym 3 times a day for an hour i was just wondering if / and what kind of protein shake could help me get toned up

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes don't "tone you up". Eating at a caloric deficit will burn fat for weight loss, cardio can help you create a higher caloric deficit and is good for your heart/lungs, and strength training will help you to preserve muscle when losing weight. Protein shakes can help with recovery, but you must make sure they fit into your calories for the day.
  • hteapot
    hteapot Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I workout about 5-6 days a week and I started using a protein shake after each workout and Wow, what a difference! But, I do agree with Jen, you will need to make sure that it's a lower calorie protein shake and that it fits in your calorie budget. I like the GNC Total Lean protein shakes. They are the only kind that I have found that don't have a nasty after taste. They have it in powder form and in the pre-made form. Good luck!!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    IMHO, if you eat a good balanced diet, even working out every day, you will get the nutrients and such you need. I think it is harder to balnce a diet using protien shakes and I believe they really only help the highgest end fitness folks.

That said, at Costco the Muscle Milk - 100% Whey is a decent one for protien and amino strands.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    well i just recently started working out i learned a routine with a trainer for a month but now im on my own i go to the gym 3 times a day for an hour i was just wondering if / and what kind of protein shake could help me get toned up

3 times a DAY for an hour? I hope that was a typo
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I workout about 5-6 days a week and I started using a protein shake after each workout and Wow, what a difference! But, I do agree with Jen, you will need to make sure that it's a lower calorie protein shake and that it fits in your calorie budget. I like the GNC Total Lean protein shakes. They are the only kind that I have found that don't have a nasty after taste. They have it in powder form and in the pre-made form. Good luck!!

Allmax Isoflex Whey Protein Isolates are good too, 27g of protein in a 30g scoop and 110 calories, no funny aftertaste either. I mix my chocolate flavor with cocoa and instant coffee in the morning for my knock off starbucks mocha frappacino I was so addicted to!
  • elaineirene84
    elaineirene84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have found drinking Muscle Milk (2 scoops and 16oz water) helps me recover after a workout. I am not sore the next morning. I do make sure it fits into my daily calories though.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with Jay Robb. It has 26 grams of Whey protein isolate for 110 calories and NO aspartame.. It's sweetened with stevia. I also love that it is really thin and tastes good mixed with sugar free juice drinks or even with water. I love the orange dream flavor the best. It's a great way to meet your protein needs conveniently without a lot of calories. ... course you don't NEED protein drinks.. you could always just pack a piece of fish or chicken breast in a ziplock.
  • jdx301
    jdx301 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Protein drinks are supplements. You only supplement them into your diet if you can't reach your daily protein goal with food.

If you do take a protein drink post workout, find some simple carbs to go with it. I often just put in some dextrose and crushed up oats.

Don't get muscle milk, that stuff is terrible. Protein blends are some of the best out there, unless you are lactose intolerent. Then stick with isolates.

Some of the best proteins out there are some of these : I-force Protean(red velvet cake or vanilla cupcake is the best), TruNutrition Trutein ( love vanilla, chocolate peanut butter cup and cinnabun the best), Ultra Peptide 2.0 (cinnamon roll and lemon cream pie are best), Gaspari Myofusion Elite and Myofusion Probiotics. Cinnamon roll, banana, vanilla and peanut butter cookie dough are the better ones.

Another good company is Giant Sports. Vanilla and Cookies and cream are their better flavors. Cellucor came out with a new line up called Cor-performance. Their cinnamon roll swirl is awesome. Great for oatmeal.

As you can tell, i love my supplements and i've pretty much had almost every decent protein powder out there. Love to bake, cook and make drinks with protein powder. It's endless what you can do with it.
  • Daynasanderson
    Daynasanderson Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I JUST MAKE MY OWN I USE 1 CUP OF UN SWEETENED ALMOND MILK OR FAT FREE SOY MILK, 1 EGG WHITE, HALF A BANANA 1/2 OF MIXED BERRIES(WALMART) OR A CUP OF UNSWEETENED STRWBERRYS(SUPER STORE) ALL FROZEN BY THE WAY AND I PACKET OF TWIN AND ITS ABOUT 178 CALORIES. I USUALL HAVE THIS FOR BREAKFAST AFTER A MORNING WORK OR AFTER KICKBXING IN THE EVENINGS
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I JUST MAKE MY OWN I USE 1 CUP OF UN SWEETENED ALMOND MILK OR FAT FREE SOY MILK, 1 EGG WHITE, HALF A BANANA 1/2 OF MIXED BERRIES(WALMART) OR A CUP OF UNSWEETENED STRWBERRYS(SUPER STORE) ALL FROZEN BY THE WAY AND I PACKET OF TWIN AND ITS ABOUT 178 CALORIES. I USUALL HAVE THIS FOR BREAKFAST AFTER A MORNING WORK OR AFTER KICKBXING IN THE EVENINGS

Very cool.
  • Fooey606
    Options
    I always check out this website before buying any protein products - www.pro-proteinshake.com - My personal favourite is the Labrada Lean Body Hi-Protein shake because of the high protein:carb ratio.
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I believe changing your lifestyle tones you, but i do drink EAS advantEdge carb control get lean and toned Shakes after i work out. I always drink the strawberry flavor. 17 grams of protein, only 3 grams of carbs and 100 calories!! No sugar! WORKS FOR ME! Good luck:wink:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i agree with the other poster you said that you are way better off eating your daily protein requirement. When I need to fill in my protein I used GNC Ampled chocolate protein..its expensive but I like it...

I actually have no problem hitting 170 grams to 200 grams of protein a day without a shake..but if I run out of chicken or eggs, I use the shake to fill in ....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    oh and protein shakes will not lean you out, strength training will ...