Are you hungry?

Options
We've heard alot from those lucky folks who can't eat all of their calories for the day, but I'd like to know if there's anyone out there besides myself that's still very hungry after eating the calorie allowance for the day. I only have about 15-20 lbs to lose and it's being very stubborn. I find myself exercising more so that I can eat more calories, but the more I exercise, the hungrier I am. The good news is that I'm not gaining any weight, but I'm not losing, either. I am losing inches at a painfully slow rate--like 1.5 inches a month total. I'm doing the Curves Smart program 3 x a week (450-550 calories burned each time) and have started running 2 miles three to four days a week ( I was walking them). I eat very clean and get pleanty of sleep. Anyone else out ther sharing my pain?

Replies

• skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day. Exercise makes me soooo hungry!!! Usually I am always up for eating more, its often the only reason I exercise but on occasion I do have a day, like yesterday...I had 400 calories left but I didn't want to eat anything so I didn't.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I must be a freak. When I workout, I tend to be less hungry during the day. :noway: Don't get me wrong though, I still eat my calories. I can always find something to munch on. lol
    When I don't workout and have less calories to eat, I feel like I am starving and want to eat anything and everything. :laugh:
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? If you only have about 20 pounds to lose, then you should not be eating 1200 calories a day or something crazy like that.

I mean, I have 70 (well, only 55, now) pounds to lose, and I eat 1400 hundred a day, and I'm 5 ft 6 inches.
  • peart47
    peart47 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it helps fill me up when I drink carbonated (flavored and zero calorie) water with my last meal. I also had a odwala (sp) super protein drink today around 4pm and I'm still not hungry at 7pm. Granted, that's only 3 hours but I feel full. Sometimes I eat half a banana at bedtime. Just saying. Good luck!
  • valleyp
    valleyp Posts: 49
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? If you only have about 20 pounds to lose, then you should not be eating 1200 calories a day or something crazy like that.

I mean, I have 70 (well, only 55, now) pounds to lose, and I eat 1400 hundred a day, and I'm 5 ft 6 inches.
    [/quote

I'm 5' 2" and MFP allots me 1200 cals a day and it's NOT enough!
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya sister! I am always hungry and can always eat more! I consume a large portion of protein, good carbs and good fats, but it never seems to work. I am a big running and when I ran 10 miles in one day I feel like I could eat 2 medium pizzas! When I was training for my 1/2 marathon i actually gained 7 lbs. (it wasn't muscle either). I haven't found the cure yet, but when I do I will pass it your way.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get really hungry. But I do try to eat every two hours to not get starved, Only takes a few weeks apparently for your stomach to get used to it ...

But little loop hole here! The more exersise you do, the more calories you get to eat! WOOP!
  • swagirl97
    swagirl97 Posts: 1
    Options
    I feel your pain.Im actually starving right now and have some extra calories that I can consume but then I feel guilty doing so..Im just going to drink more water or just have have a cup of skim milk...
  • Rensco
    Rensco Posts: 36
    Options
    I don't have much to loose and only get 1200 calories a day. I've had the same issue. What I had suggested to me was that I needed to eat more things that were more down to nature or more closely resembled the original source. So I did a few little things like switched to whole grain english muffins instead of white ones. Got chocolate peanutbutter to eat on it instead of jelly. I also drink a protein drink sometimes to help me fill up (K20 pink lemonade). Just little changes like that but they seem to have helped me get rid of that "starving" feeling I was continually having. Oh, also, I've found that on days I was too far away from my carb goal, that the starving feeling was worse. On those days, I bite the bullet and go over calories a little if I can't stand it or else do what you do - exercise so I can eat more. Anyhow, I don't feel that way quite as often any more so that's good. Hope this helps and good luck to you!
  • mara16bryan
    Options
    I found that upping my protein intake really helped curb some of my hunger pains. I love making protein smoothies - a recent favorite is 8 oz. of Trop50 orange juice, one scoop vanilla protein powder and ice. Tastes very similar to an Orange Julius! But this one only has 150 calories :-) I will take protein powder to work with me, add water and then drink it between meals or when I'm hungry. And I always have a protein shake after working out to help rebuild my muscles, but it also helps with appetite. I'm a huge fan of the GNC Be Buff protein powder, but I also very frequently use whey proteins from The Vitamin Shoppe. While I know this doesn't work for everyone, I found it be very helpful, especially after working out. It might be worth a try?
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I found that upping my protein intake really helped curb some of my hunger pains. I love making protein smoothies - a recent favorite is 8 oz. of Trop50 orange juice, one scoop vanilla protein powder and ice. Tastes very similar to an Orange Julius! But this one only has 150 calories :-) I will take protein powder to work with me, add water and then drink it between meals or when I'm hungry. And I always have a protein shake after working out to help rebuild my muscles, but it also helps with appetite. I'm a huge fan of the GNC Be Buff protein powder, but I also very frequently use whey proteins from The Vitamin Shoppe. While I know this doesn't work for everyone, I found it be very helpful, especially after working out. It might be worth a try?

Drinking the protein water inbetween meals is a great idea. It helps curb the hunger pangs and it keeps the metabolism going strong. I use egg white protein powder by Jay Robb. No added sugar, preservatives or other nasties.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Ugh I'm always hungry. After a few weeks of dieting it has gotten better but not really.

I just drink 2 glasses of water and wait 10 minutes and if I'm still hungry I go for it.
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Same with me, I thought I was crazy. On days I work out, I don't feel like eating & end up having all these calories left at night. Days I don't work out, all I think about is food.:happy:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    I could EASILY eat double my allotted calories. I :heart: food!
  • angyltears
    angyltears Posts: 57
    Options
    I've started eating more oatmeal since I'm starving all the time too, it does help keep me full longer after a workout. Doesn't matter when I work out or how much I eat before hand, about half an hour after my work out I'm so hungry I have trouble avoiding the fast food joints... I've even started taking a really long way home from the gym just to avoid temptation.