Sew my lips shut!

Options
Oh how I wish I could.

I'm just going to have to come to the realization that I have an eating disorder, and that I need to cut off alot of foods that have good "mouth feel" because once I start, it isn't too long before it's a full on binge!

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do to control it?

Replies

• greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Lol! I hear ya, sister. Hmmm... first, I am on the eat more to weigh less group which means I get to play with plenty of calories every day, and that helps, because the starvation thing or very low cal diet doesn't work for me personally.
    What about breaking stuff up into portion bags when you get them? So you have 100 or 200 calorie packs of whatever your treat is? And make it about only a certain time of day. I know I don't function well if I have chocolate after 2 pm, so I get to have a portion with my lunch- and I only get what I pack in my lunch bag for the day, so once I have my treat, that's it! Complete deprivation is a no-go, you'll just binge later. Give yourself small amounts every day.
    xoxo
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    If you're not at that point where you can eat it in moderation...either portion it out or just dont keep it in the house until you can do so.

Keep a glass of water near you at all times. Chug until you feel the need to nosh go away.

if you feel genuinely hungry, or your tummy rumbles then eat something with protein and veggies first...that helps you get full quicker..

Hope this helps...i struggle with this sometimes and these tips help me =)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Oh how I wish I could.

I'm just going to have to come to the realization that I have an eating disorder, and that I need to cut off alot of foods that have good "mouth feel" because once I start, it isn't too long before it's a full on binge!

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do to control it?

And I thought this was going to be about my biggest problem: always opening my mouth and saying things I shouldn't instead of just smiling at other people's stupidity and walking away.

But okay, yeah, binging is my second issue.

I did get rid of all my trigger foods and when I find a new one, I get rid of that, too. Although I have made a compromise with cashews. I will eat them once in awhile but I only buy them in the gas station in a small pack so there are none leftover in the house pestering me. So far that is working.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    My friend sewed her lips together in high school for a photoshoot. She also skewered her boobs onstage in an s&m show. Yeah, I don't even know. :indifferent:

Seriously though, cutting out foods with good 'mouth feel' does not cure compulsive overeating. You're going to have to dig a little deeper than that, and if you don't know how, seek out some resources. Maybe OA?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    1. Stop looking at the big picture and focus on today.
    2. Make sure your calorie goal is appropriate.
    3. Figure out if you need to avoid specific foods or portion them into appropriate sizes and include them in your daily/weekly foods.
    4. Log everything the day before and stick to it.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,811 Member
    Options
    I drink water or coffee, if im realy not hungry the craving goes away, and after an hour if i still feel hungry I eat, plain popcorn is awesome 130 calories for 3 tbls unpopped which makes alot. I add garlic powder to it or salt and pepper
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    break your jaw. they'll sew it shut and you'll have to subsist on fluids for a few months. always fun.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Getting therapy is key to this. You need to address why you do it, in order to change it. I used to be a chronic binge eater but I am fine now.

Don't buy in trigger foods and when you want a treat just buy a single serve bag. For me portioning things off as soon as I opened them was a good idea in the beginning. For some reason I'd have my serving and say that's its now. (most of the time). If it wasn't portioned off and just sat there in the bag or tub then it was fair game.

I shop differently now and buy very little junk. Money is tighter so I cannot afford to buy junk... So that's one good side effect. Lol. Eating plenty of protein and fiber keeps me full. Also sticking to 120 carbs helps. It's enough where I do not feel deprived, but also if I have more than that, then I just seem to want more and more and more..

I found 120g hard to stick to at first but now find it really easy. It means I have to mainly keep carbs for meals, so can't be constantly snacking on high carb snacks through out the day...

Hope something helps out of that. It can be overcome though. Look I to therapy sessions If you think there's a route course and also cognitive behaviour therapy if you use it as a response to stress etc. Can just help change the way you think a little when stressed! Not always perfect but 99% better than I was!

Zara
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is the treat that makes my mouth feel ecstasy!
    And I adore melty milk chocolate with nuts and fruit or snickers!
    Oh and the most fabulous? Nutella! Ahhhhhhhhhh........
    Absolutely CANNOT keep that stuff in my house because it will not leave me alone til I eat it aaaaalllll up.
    So I keep fancy dark chocolate in my house and have an occasional square or 2.
    Every once in a blue moon I will fool myself into thinking I can eat just a little Nutella-you know, like a "normal person", and I bring a jar home. I can even ignore for a few days, but when I open that jar, it is just as good as gone. But yum yum yum!