Giving up meat for lent...

Options
acm2789
acm2789 Posts: 29 Member
So I am giving up meat for lent (fish & animal products okay) and I was wondering if anyone had any easy protein rich lunch ideas. I have a fridge, oven, & microwave available at work so something that could be made ahead of time and re-heated would work!

Thanks

Replies

• Chobbes1985
    Chobbes1985 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Anything with cottage cheese, tuna, quinoa, or eggs.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    SMOOTHIES - homemade pizza - soup veggie - any leftovers, salad
  • A2966
    A2966 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great idea !

My suggestion is to focus on bean & whole grains ...i.e :

spicy black beans
    pea soup (yellow or green)
    lentil soup (may favorite since you don't have to soak the beans overnight)...

beans and rice
    hummus and veggies
    salads and chick-peas

check http://www.drmirkin.com/recipes/recipeListType.html for recipes.
  • acm2789
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I love Caprese salad made with tofu instead of mozzarella – once you add the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, fresh basil and tomatoes, it has an almost identical flavor and consistency to fresh, water-packed mozzarella. Drain the tofu, but don't press for a mozzarella consistency.
  • DrBentonQuest
    Options
    A lot of good ideas posted here. I'm not one that believes that a god would respect self-denial and penance by not eating meat, and if he did, why doesn't fish count?

But I don't want to get into an ontological discussion. My real reason for stopping by was saying this:
    Don't be the jerk who puts fish in the microwave at work.
  • acm2789
    Options
    I love Caprese salad made with tofu instead of mozzarella – once you add the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, fresh basil and tomatoes, it has an almost identical flavor and consistency to fresh, water-packed mozzarella. Drain the tofu, but don't press for a mozzarella consistency.

Sounds delicious thanks !
  • acm2789
    Options
    A lot of good ideas posted here. I'm not one that believes that a god would respect self-denial and penance by not eating meat, and if he did, why doesn't fish count?

But I don't want to get into an ontological discussion. My real reason for stopping by was saying this:
    Don't be the jerk who puts fish in the microwave at work.

Neither of those comments were helpful or necessary. I wasn't asking what you believed, I was asking for recipes.
  • cmdragonia
    Options
    There's a really great Tofu mac and cheese out there, where instead of using pasta you just crumble firm tofu with powdered mustard, garlic, and onion powder, then cover the whole thing with cheese and bake. It's really excellent, and tofu is usually 8-10g protein per serving. It re-heats really well also for leftovers.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

I am googling this
  • acm2789
    Options
    There's a really great Tofu mac and cheese out there, where instead of using pasta you just crumble firm tofu with powdered mustard, garlic, and onion powder, then cover the whole thing with cheese and bake. It's really excellent, and tofu is usually 8-10g protein per serving. It re-heats really well also for leftovers.

Ill have to look this up, thanks!