When is best to work out??

Options
Is it best to workout in the morning or the evening??

Replies

• sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    There is MUCH debate about this.

My opinion (after much, much reading) is that the best time to exercise is the time that works for you. :)
  • duckfan06
    duckfan06 Posts: 20
    Options
    Mornings are the best time to work out. It energizes you and kick starts your body so you burn more calories throughout the day.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    WHENEVER YOU CAN!!!
    that is the answer.

I dont know about all this morning crap, I workout at night , and have since I started working out, and it has worked for me :)
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    Mornings are the best time to work out. It energizes you and kick starts your body so you burn more calories throughout the day.

Doesn't work for me! Morning workouts leave me tired and ill the rest of the day. :D If I work out at night I get to sleep more easily and feel better the next day.
  • twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Options
    Do what works for you : ) If it doesn't work for you you won't end up doing it. I'm a night person, so I workout in the evenings. Only exception is the weekend when I go at whatever time suits my schedule best. So if you prefer mornings, do morning. If you prefer evening, do evening. If you prefer lunchtime, do lunchtime. All that matters is that you exercise!
  • bambam32
    bambam32 Posts: 20
    Options
    Work out when you. With todays schedules (kids and all) get it when you can. JUST DO IT. I feel bad when I don't because I actually have more energy throughout the night when I do get in my workout (I also work 3rd shift).....Bambam
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Yep. I work out whenever I have the opportunity. Sometimes it's in the morning, sometimes it's at night, sometimes in the afternoon.

Even if there is a "best time to work out" there's no reason to sit on your butt just because the time of day that's most convenient for you isn't considered optimal. That'd be silly.
  • JoyElizabeth
    JoyElizabeth Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you : ) If it doesn't work for you you won't end up doing it. I'm a night person, so I workout in the evenings. Only exception is the weekend when I go at whatever time suits my schedule best. So if you prefer mornings, do morning. If you prefer evening, do evening. If you prefer lunchtime, do lunchtime. All that matters is that you exercise!

I agree - my work often entails working strange hours and so I never really know what time I'm getting into or out of bed (never enough hours in the day), but I find that if I get up first thing in the morning and get something in the way of exercise done, then I don't have to think about it later on.

Often I'll do my C25K as it starts gently with a warm up walk and then I get "told" what to do and I don't have to think about it too hard. By the time I'm home 30 mins later, my brain is in gear, I'm usually feeling good and I'm ready to do my supersets of Pushups & Pilates followed by my supersets of Situps & Stretches then I have the rest of the day to myself.

I've tried to workout in the evenings but life seems to get in the way too often and then I miss my session and can't catch it up. If I can, I try to do my swimming in the early afternoon as my mind doesn't think it's too hard and I have a better chance of not getting sidetracked.

It's taken me years to work out what works best for me, but the best advice I can offer is to try something and if it works, figure out *why* it was so successful - that way it is more likely to stay with you. And if something doesn't work for you, once again, figure out why and find a better solution.

I think the trick is to not give up trying to find a solution because over time you'll start to see a pattern and you can then easily see what programs and schedules work for you - Only now am I starting to feel comfortable with my routine after many years of disappointment with trying to fit exercise in consistently, so I know that this process, while lengthy, still works.

I hope it helps.

Kind Regards,

Joy.
  • katie54321
    katie54321 Posts: 18
    Options

Completely 100% agree! :)