How accurate...

Sally_92
Sally_92 Posts: 17
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
are the calories Burnt in the Exercise section of this site? becasuse sometimes it's hard to believe that I would burn that many?

Replies

• njstecher
    njstecher Posts: 1
    I posted the same question on a different site, only I thought that for some of my exercises more calories are being burned. It really depends on your actual heart rate. If you can track that, you can have a better idea.
  • katie54321
    katie54321 Posts: 18
    yeah it is isn't. but it is accurate. in 1 hour you can burn between 100 and almost 7-800 calories!
  • I wondered that too, as sometimes I do (for example) 20 mins at 6 mph on the treadmill and the calories burnt on the machine is quite a bit less than when I log it on here.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    When I got a heart rate monitor and filled in all my details I was shocked to see that the actual calories burnt were roughly 40% lower than on here. The thing is we are all different; someone who is 100lb overweight will burn more than me with only 1lb to go.

The only pretty accurate way of knowing the amount is with a heart rate monitor because you input enough data for it to know more realistic results.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Sorry just to add: if you use any lifefitness machines I would say go get a polar HRM as these sync in with the machine.
  • Sally_92
    Sally_92 Posts: 17
    lol sometimes the amount just sound too good to be true, like for swimming for 45 minutes burns around 500 cals according to this site?! surely not!?
  • Rea_K
    Rea_K Posts: 51
    I have a polar hrm and can honestly say it's the best thing I ever bought!!! I found that when I was heavier I burned way more than it said on here, then when I lost a bit of weight I burned roughly the same as it said on here, and now I'm nearly 50lbs lighter I burn less. From burning around 900cals an hour I now burn around 500, so really have to push myself!! But I definitely recommend a HRM. It's really taught me a lot about the way I exercise.

Sally, I find that when swimming I really don't burn that many calories!! Sometimes I try so hard to challenge myself and feel exhausted afterwards but still can't burn more than around 200 cals!! I think everyone is different though.
    I still enjoy swimming but I burn so many more calories doing cv and toning workouts.
This discussion has been closed.