Sugarfree gum

Options
Odd question- but I noticed sugar free gum has a calorie of 5 and adds up depending on how many you chew. Is this to be counted only if you accidently swallow it? I am just starting out to count calories so please forgive my ignorance.

Replies

• orangeyellowkayak
    orangeyellowkayak Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would guess you count it when you chew it because you swallow the flavoring.
  • CassHallett
    CassHallett Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try sugar free gum that contains xylitol as it's first ingredient, it has a great oral health care benefit. Strengthens teeth and returns the pH in your mouth back to normal faster after meals and helps fight cavities! If you're going to chew gum it midas well be good for your teeth at the same time. Try Orbitz, some Tridents (careful, not all flavors contain it) or Eclipse.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have 1 or two pieces of gum a day, but I don't log it. Most if the calories are actually in the flavoring, so swallowing it doesn't change the calories much.

Interestingly, I read a study that chewing gum actually helps you lose weight, because you burn more than five calories by chewing it. However this is only one study, and they even admitted that you would have to chew the gum for about an hour to burn it off.
  • tino124
    Options
    haha i pound like 10 sticks a day of extra sweet watermelon and polar ice. don't bother logging it, 50 cals isn't worth the typing effort

keeps me entertained at work
  • EternaT
    EternaT Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow, thx everyone for the good info
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    haha i pound like 10 sticks a day of extra sweet watermelon and polar ice. don't bother logging it, 50 cals isn't worth the typing effort

keeps me entertained at work

same here
  • zumbarock
    zumbarock Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Definitely chew after meals or when bored so that you don't eat something sweet! I like the Extra Gum desert flavors when I am craving something sweet. The flavor doesn't last too long but Extra just came out with Lemon square sugarfree gum...yumm!! Also try the apple pie :)
  • EternaT
    EternaT Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Those sound so delicious!