Fast Lunches @ The Office

Options
I'm looking for ideas/suggestions on quick foods for lunch that can keep me full for 5 hours or so and are yet office-friendly. I'm getting tired of Lean Cuisines (I'm pretty picky and only eat certain ones), instant oatmeal, and microwavable Japanese noodle bowls. Things that can be prepared at home ahead of time would be okay as long as the prep time is fairly minimal, but I'd prefer items I can buy that can just be taken out of the fridge/freezer and eaten or microwaved and eaten. Right now I only have 15 minutes for my lunch break and I'm usually a slow eater soooo I need help lol. I already do a protein shake for breakfast so I'd prefer to eat actual food for lunch. Actual nutritional value isn't as big of a concern (though its a plus) as much as calories, as I'm only counting calories right now. I'm aiming for a 250-350 calorie lunch.

P.S. Feel free to add me as I could use more friends on here with similar weight loss goals (I've got about 75 lbs to go...)

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Are leftovers from the night before an option? That's what I do (along with a nice salad). I put everything together the night before since I only take 15-20 minutes for lunch too.
  • StacyCond
    StacyCond Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Pack a salad the night before. :)
  • Janie_May
    Janie_May Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like...
    - Chobani flavored Greek yogurt
    - Apples or bananas with PB2 (powdered peanut butter you mix with H2O; only 45 calories per 2 T., made by Bell Plantation)
    - Laughing Cow light cheese wedges on Ryvita Rye & Oat Bran cracker or GG Scandinavian Bran Crispbread
    - Sargento light cheddar or string cheese sticks
    - Raw almonds
    - Sweet potato (cooked the night before and reheated)
    - Broccoli slaw with Trader Joe's Asian Style Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette dressing

WARNING: My husband calls the GG Crispbreads "shingles" (as in the roofing material, not the rash). They are pretty much inedible plain (very dry), but not bad with something on them. Only 12 calories but 5 grams fiber to help fill you up.
  • 4n6babe
    4n6babe Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I normally don't really have leftovers, as I am only preparing dinner for myself which is usually a single serving chicken breast or fish filet and a "Just For Ones" veggie.. (this is getting depressing lol)

The salad might be a good idea but I'm just thinking it wouldn't really fill me up much unless I had some good stuff mixed in there which would probably take more time to prepare. If I made several ahead of time I suppose it could work. What do you add on your salad to give it a boost? Chicken?

Thanks for the suggestions so far Janie_May! Most of those sound like something I could handle. At least your husband doesn't call the GG Crispbreads "roofies"! lol
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm a little OCD with this but I take one Saturday every 3months approx. and I go ALLL OUT! From shopping, prep, cooking to clean up it takes me about 9-10 hours. I prep all my lunches and I put them in the deep freeze. I get anxious when I don't have meals prepped. I know exactly the nutritional info for each container and MFP has made it easy to put the recipe in in bulk and then divide by how many containers you have. I started doing this about a year ago and I change it up and make about 5 different meals. So I can have a different one each day at work and don't get too sick of it.
    If I get sick of it I go buy turkey and chz and lettuce and make wraps for something quick and different.
    It's a lot of work in one day however all my meals are under $3 each and I know exactly what I'm eating and I LOVE IT! I usually end up with about 60ish meals...
  • 4n6babe
    4n6babe Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a little OCD with this but I take one Saturday every 3months approx. and I go ALLL OUT! From shopping, prep, cooking to clean up it takes me about 9-10 hours. I prep all my lunches and I put them in the deep freeze. I get anxious when I don't have meals prepped. I know exactly the nutritional info for each container and MFP has made it easy to put the recipe in in bulk and then divide by how many containers you have. I started doing this about a year ago and I change it up and make about 5 different meals. So I can have a different one each day at work and don't get too sick of it.
    If I get sick of it I go buy turkey and chz and lettuce and make wraps for something quick and different.
    It's a lot of work in one day however all my meals are under $3 each and I know exactly what I'm eating and I LOVE IT! I usually end up with about 60ish meals...

Wowww that's kinda neat :) I like the idea though I would probably start out small and make one week's worth at a time. Maybe I'll try it! Thanks!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Due to space I couldn't make 3 months worth at a time (although I love the idea) but I cook once a week and then have that for lunch every day.

This week it's vegies and quinoa and black bean burgers. Yummm.

In summer I tend to go the salad option but my salad has a boiled egg, cheese and avocado in it so it's quite substantial (if I wasn't vegie I'd have meat in there). Again I prepare it all ahead of time. My biggest tip would be to invest in really good quality containers if you want to do this. Tupperware is ridiculously expensive but it really is amazing, will keep cut salad fresh for a week and comes with a lifetime guarantee.
  • DaniAni19
    DaniAni19 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I made this healthy version of egg salad and portioned into 3 containers to take for lunch the next few days. I will eat it over a handful of spinach. Quick, easy, and can eat at my desk.

http://www.shutterbean.com/2011/mayofree-egg-salad-sandwiches/

I also have a protein/green smoothie for breakfast, so I take a homemade greek yogurt parfait for a mid-morning snack, that keeps me full at work.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You said you cook diner for one, it wouldn't be any more time to cook diner for 'two', at least some nights - then stick it in some tupperwear for lunch the next day. :)
  • MTGirl4Life
    MTGirl4Life Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I buy the frozen chicken from Costco. I place about 6 chicken breasts in a baking/cake pan, and season to your liking (garlic powder, onion powder, lemon pepper or pepper). Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake about 45 minutes on one side, and then turn and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes (I like to make sure they are done). They turn out juicy and flavorful. Remove from the oven and cool. Cut in half (or as needed) to be 3 to 4 oz. each piece. Place on a plate/tray, and put in freezer until frozen (maybe 2 to 3 hours?). Place each 3 to 4 oz breast into a sandwich baggie. Place all of the bagged breasts into a larger freezer baggie.

The night before, put 2 cups of lettuce/spinach mix in a container. You may add 1/2 to 1 cup broccoli, mushrooms, cucumber, tomato, etc. (I tend to keep the moist veggies in a separate bag when I pack overnight). If you want cottage cheese, put a serving of cottage cheese in a container. I have a large lunch bag that holds a lot of food, and in the bottom of it I put an ice pack in the bottom. Place my salad container on top of it. Then I will place the cottage cheese (or a low-fat Greek yogurt) on top of the other half of the ice pack. I place a small shaped (the size kids use) ice pack on top of the cottage cheese or yogurt. On top of the salad, I place one bagged chicken breast. Now, at lunch time, your chicken breast should be thawed enough to eat cold, if you prefer; or put it in the microwave for about 1 minute or til hot enough for you. While I warm the chicken, I try to drink 8 oz of water. You can cut up the breast to toss into your salad mix; or simply cut it and eat it as you go. With all the protein of the chicken an the cottage cheese or yogurt, I have found that I do not get hungry until supper time.
  • MTGirl4Life
    Options

Wowww that's kinda neat :) I like the idea though I would probably start out small and make one week's worth at a time. Maybe I'll try it! Thanks!

I would enjoy hearing what types of meals/foods you do this with. I use to eat prepared store-bought frozen meals, and found that all of the additives were not worth trying to eat these; and the amount of calories I ate for the amount of food I got was crazy when I compared how much more food I can get from a home-cooked meal. And at $3 each, it is comparative to what you would pay for the prepared store-bought meal. I have just started to make freezer meals for suppers, but am having a difficult time finding recipes that we enjoy.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for a 250-350 calorie lunch.

I invented something off the cuff for lunch today and it came out to only 260 calories... I named it "deli tacos".

As long as you have a refrigerator available (it sounds as if you do since you mentioned frozen microwave lunches?), this is east and fast (and tasty!). I have a grocery bag in the fridge in our office with a few things I use to make my own stuff...

260 calories for the whole lunch:

2 Mission White corn tortillas (110 cal for two tortillas, or to shave calories, use the Mission yellow corn thin tortillas - 80 cal for 2!)
    Spicy deli Mustard (I used stoneground horseradish mustard)

3 slices Hormel Natural Choice Turkey Slices (1 and 1/2 slice in each tortilla - to shave 20 calories, use just 2 slices, 1 on each taco)

2 slices Sargento Ultra Thin Provolone (use just 1/2 slice on each instead to save another 40 cal)

I added a few veggies to make it more of a wrap-style thing and to fill it up a little more for little to no calories, some lettuce, cucumber slices and red bell pepper slices.

I too got really tired of eating all the same things, and I'm REALLY tired of healthy choice microwave soup (lol!) so I'm trying to find ways to switch it up, or things I can add to jazz up boring food. Another new favorite is adding pomegranate arils to my morning oatmeal. 70 calories in 1/2 cup, and you only really need a couple of tablespoons of these, so its only about 20 or so calories to add this to oatmeal or cereal.
  • MTGirl4Life
    Options
    Here is a high protein option for tuna-salad sandwich. Mix 1/2 cup tuna fish (in water) with 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese. Dependent upon how much carbs I want, I will simply eat the mix without bread, or I will spread it on 1 slice of whole wheat or a high grain bread, or I could spread it on 2 slices of the bread. Another option is to eat it on/with whole grain crackers. A great option is to eat it on/with a salad mixture. You could also add a fruit such as an apple, pear, or orange.

The mix may not sound good, but it really is (I guess as long as you like tuna fish), and it is filling.
  • Water1213
    Water1213 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want, as long as it fits your calories for the day... It's not rocket science
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My lunches are around 350-450 Cals. I'm working on trying to get the bulk of my Calories in before I work out at approx. 4:45 everyday. It's hard to change this habit of having a large dinner especially when you're eating with someone. So I am working on it.

I tweek recipes all the time to accomodate my losing body fat %. I am eating at my TDEE for the last 2 weeks and the next 2 weeks kindof to shock my body and then I'll drop 10% off and so on. Working on finding my plan that works for me....

Spaghetti freezes AWESOME and I LOVE IT! I've played around with brown rice noodles, black bean noodles (Not my fav), and spaghetti sqaush (a little too much water - nothing that parm. chz can't soak up good and proper though:)

Low Cal High Protein Meatloaf with roasted carrots and parsnips. Very dense and LOTS of fiber so careful :) My recipe is on my profile. I'll tweek this next time and add water or cottage cheese or something to lighten it up.

I did a Asain play on chick/cashews with lots of veggies and brown rice noodles.

I'm also just lately wrapping my brain around carbs and getting more than 100g a day. I've had to work up to this since I've been low carb for so long. But I can tell you this, with my workout routine, since eating more carbs (good ones) I am not passing out at 7pm because I have no energy, my workouts are stronger and more productive and I just have a better sense of well-being.

I'm trying 4 week cycles trying to find out what works for me. I'll post a pic tonight of my OCD freezer and some of the recipes are on my profile of what I've done. I also make my own protein bars. The last ones turned out like cardboard with choc. on them but am tweeking. My apple cin. one's ROCK! I plan on making a pumpkin and a lemon this weekend. I make a huge batch and then cut them in the serving size I want then put them in a snack baggy in the freezer. Great for grab and goes before/after a work out as well as a breakfast when I am running late.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Leftovers are my standard lunch.

When there are no leftovers, I typically throw everything I'd put into a salad (dark leafy greens, some form of protein, other sliced veggies tossed in vinaigrette/hot sauce/mustard into a high fiber wrap and roll it up.
  • barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been using ziplock's steamer bags and they are great!! Basically I peel vegetables such as sweet potatoes regular potatoes, green beans, etc. and throw them in one of the bags with some good seasoning. Doesn't take long. Not the preservatives or sodium that a lot of those "healthy" tv dinners have. I sometimes will do microwaveable things like oatmeal or instant brown rice. I also throw in in granola bars, string cheese, nuts, yogurt, and fruits. It's nice because I work with a fitness trainer that is super buff and a lot of health nuts. They are always giving me good ideas of what to eat for lunch! Hope this helps :)
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My standard lunch falls right into your calorie range.

Flat-out wrap (90-100 calories)
    6 slices of Oscar Mayer deli thin ham (45 calories)
    1 slice of pepperjack cheese (70 calories) or a wedge of laughing cow chipotle queso (35 cal)
    handful of lettuce (5-10 cal)
    and some sort of fruit (60-120 cal depending on what it is)

I love the idea of preparing casseroles or soups on the weekends for the week too. I do this more for breakfast and/or snacks by baking up some egg cups or a big batch of oatmeal with craisins. Yum!
  • Kassadeedle
    Kassadeedle Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you want something quick to put on a salad, Lean Cuisine has these new meals called Salad Additions...it comes with a steam bag with chicken and veggies that you cook in the microwave and add to your lettuce. I use about 3 cups of romaine. It also comes with dressing and a crunchy topping. I can make a pretty big salad for under 300 calories and they are soo good.