Fat guy and running

Options
I set a goal to be able to run a 5K by Memorial Day and I am concerned that my knees may not be ready for that yet. I can do 10 K on an elliptical but after about 2K on the treadmill, my knees are screaming. Any advise out there for a fat guy that wants to run again or do I just wait till I am lighter and not so tough on my knees?

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k at 250 pounds.
    Slow down, focus on your form, and - if you can - get off the treadmill.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    My advice: go really, really slow until you get your joints used to the pounding. Alternate walking and running--there's a great program called C25K (stands for "couch to 5K") where you gradually increase how much running you do until you can run an entire 5K. It's fine to repeat days if they're too hard for you at first. I think it's doable on a treadmill--I don't use one, so someone else might be able to confirm that.

Even if you do most of it on the treadmill, try to get outdoors some before your goal race--many runners find pavement a lot harder on the legs than a treadmill, plus it helps to try to get an idea of pace when the machine isn't setting it for you.

Best of luck!
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Work on core exercises first....Abs, glutes, ab/ad ductors. These will help take stress off you knees. And take it slow at first. You've got til May to acheive a faster 3 mile jog. Wife and I are doing the same thing. First 5K thru Grapevine,TX (wine country) and as an incentive there's a tasting when you finish. Nothing beats jogging 3 miles and tasting some wine after...I'm all on that!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My advice is get your gait analysed. Make sure you have the correct form.
    Alsoyou dont get fit by running, you need to be fit before you can run.
    Work on building up you leg/ glute muscles and core as that helps protect your knees.
    And if you're knees hurt, stop imediately and seek help.
    ( been there didn't do that and now i have to accept i'll probably never be able to run.)
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    If you are seriously overweight, DON'T RUN!!
    Your knees are hurting because it is too much stress on your joints and you will cause permanent damage.
    >> Get in the water!! <<
    Swimming, aquafitness classes, water jogging - these are good workouts. If you can run in water at the same pace you do on land, you do the same work in 20minutes in the water as you do jogging an hour on land. Of course, it is harder in the water, being 15 times more resistance. But, in water up to your waist you are only supporting half your body weight, so significantly less impact on your joints. Neck deep, and only 10%.
    Check out your local pool, see what they've got to offer.
    Don't stress your joints more than they already are - wait until you are lighter before running on land.
    That's my two cents!!
    Good luck :smile:
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    If you are seriously overweight, DON'T RUN!!
    Your knees are hurting because it is too much stress on your joints and you will cause permanent damage.
    >> Get in the water!! <<
    Swimming, aquafitness classes, water jogging - these are good workouts. If you can run in water at the same pace you do on land, you do the same work in 20minutes in the water as you do jogging an hour on land. Of course, it is harder in the water, being 15 times more resistance. But, in water up to your waist you are only supporting half your body weight, so significantly less impact on your joints. Neck deep, and only 10%.
    Check out your local pool, see what they've got to offer.
    Don't stress your joints more than they already are - wait until you are lighter before running on land.
    That's my two cents!!
    Good luck :smile:

Dang, wish I'd heard this advice when I weighed over 300 lbs and started running.
    OK, not really.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    I can run/fastwalk 20K. I'm sure you will get it done! Focus in every contraction, go smarter not harder.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    How are yr shoes? Get some good ones. Myhusband is a powerlifter,, so he carries a lot of weight. He gets shoes from New Balance that are running shoes for larger runners or something like that. He loves them. You might look into something like that.
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I started C210K on Jan 1 and ran in snow on Jan 8 and injured my knee. Now a month later it hurts as much as it did the first day which really cramps my style.

My advice, friend, would be that if your knees hurt on the treadmill, you will be making a big mistake hitting the roads.

Better to lose some weight and be ready, than to ruin the year by doing something avoidable.
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Work on core exercises first....Abs, glutes, ab/ad ductors. These will help take stress off you knees. And take it slow at first. You've got til May to acheive a faster 3 mile jog. Wife and I are doing the same thing. First 5K thru Grapevine,TX (wine country) and as an incentive there's a tasting when you finish. Nothing beats jogging 3 miles and tasting some wine after...I'm all on that!

My partner has had problems with weak knees ever since he was a teen. Doctors told them nothing was wrong, or that it was because he was fat, or he was having a growth spurt. He had difficulty even going up and down stairs at one point. He started a new job and his knee collapsed under him and he saw the physio that was provided through work - and she gave him some core exercises to do and it was amazing to see the difference (and to hear how different he felt) He has to keep up on it, but it's only a few minutes a day and he felt the changes :) I think mostly he was doing squats with a kettlebell but I definitely recommend the core exercises!
  • apexgtp
    apexgtp Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Years ago when I tried losing weight (for the billionth time) I tried running. First time out I finished a mile(walk\jog) and the next day I couldnt walk. It took about 2 months for the pain to go away. I didnt goto the Dr but after I did some research it seems like I had a small tear in my ACL. I was about 260lbs.

This time around I started at 264.4 and today I'm at 234.0, I dont plan on running until I'm about 220.
  • jdlifsey
    jdlifsey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The weight is obviously a problem but how are your foot arches?
    A good pair of fitted running shoes from a running shoe store can help a lot.

You get what you pay for with running shoes.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    I tried doing the Couch to 5k program this summer (I was at 325 at that point). My knees weren't the best ever, but they weren't awful. Doing the running messed them up a bit. No cartilage or ligament damage, thankfully, but the doctor said that my kneecap slid slightly off its track -- my knee squeaked like a rusty hinge sometimes when I would walk and got sore if I did too much on it.

Overall I'd agree with most of the other posters here, and frankly I am in the same boat. Do exercises that place less stress on the knee joint and lose some of the weight first, and then see how your knee reacts to jogging/running. Also, keep your doctor in the loop when you do start running regularly, so as not to do any permanent damage.
  • leeleeluvs
    leeleeluvs Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How are yr shoes? Get some good ones. Myhusband is a powerlifter,, so he carries a lot of weight. He gets shoes from New Balance that are running shoes for larger runners or something like that. He loves them. You might look into something like that.

I agree. Shoes are key. And invest in a good pair. You may want to look into Brooks running shoes. Specifically the Dyad style shoe for men. The shoe (I've read) caters to the larger runner...and there are many out there! :) But definitely go to a running store and try on different styles of running shoe. A good pair will cost about 100.00-120.00 but if you're serious about running this is the best investment you will make. You will know as soon as you put on the shoe which shoe is the best for you.

Good luck!
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    There are styles of running that are lower impact. Check out "Chi Running"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UYkAB18wgs
  • dguz21
    dguz21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Get off the treadmill. I got spurs, and numerous other ailments on my knees, ankles and feet from using a treadmill.
  • stinabeastie
    stinabeastie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My two cents:
    1) Not every person's body is the same. Ignore the people who say "Well I can do it!" because they're not you.
    2) When you exercise, there's good pain & there's bad pain. You know the difference. If what you're feeling is bad pain, then ease off of your knees because you're just going to make them worse and then you're screwed.
    3) If you can walk without pain, do that. Get a good pair of walking shoes and just go walkies outside. Slowly add in bouts of jogging if you think you can handle it. Does it make the knees hurt? Stop jogging & go back to walking.
    4) Water aerobics and other no-impact exercises are a great way to burn calories as well as build strength. They will help you lose girth while making your legs & core stronger.

There's no shame in putting off your marathon goals if pushing too hard means you'll break yourself. Find other ways to get fit, and then try again later when your body is feeling more cooperative.
  • Krunchey1
    Krunchey1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :smile: Good Luck To You...just take it easy.
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    run outside... it treats your body different
  • whitesox56
    Options
    I was down to about 305 lbs in October of 2011 and I was planning to do a 5K, but stuff from work came up and I couldn't do it. I did 3 miles in like 38 minutes practicing by running outside and for me, that's a pretty decent time.

Definitely train for it by running outside. My sister is a experienced runner and she told me the best thing to do was to run outside to train for it. Good luck!